2019 Tell Rifaat clashes
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|2019 Tell Rifaat Clashes|
|Part of Turkish involvement in the Syrian Civil War, Operation Olive Branch and the Syrian Civil War|
|Syrian National Army (SNA)|
|Commanders and leaders|
Syrian National Army (SNA)
|Casualties and losses|
| 4 killed, 8 injured(per SOHR)|
8 killed (per SOHR)
40 killed (per SDF)
|23 killed, wounded, or captured (per Turkey)|
The clashes began after two Turkish soldiers were killed on 4 May 2019 in a confrontation with the YPG and one was injured. In retaliation the Turkish Defense Ministry claimed to have killed a total of 23 YPG fighters; following the incident a Turkish official told Reuters that a larger operation would be launched "if necessary".
On 4 May 2019, the Syrian National Army (SNA) announced it had initiated an operation against the YPG in the villages near Tell Rifaat. The SNA managed to initially capture the three villages of Mar'anaz, Al-Malikiyah, and Shawarighat al Arz, facing little resistance. After taking the villages the SNA stated “Our aspiration is to reach Tel Rifaat and what is beyond it.” However, subsequently, due to heavy shelling by SDF as well as pro-government forces and a large number of landmines in the area, the SNA and the Turkish Armed Forces were forced to withdraw and the Kurdish-led forces recaptured all three villages.
On 18 May 2019, new fighting erupted in the Tell Rifaat area, with five rebels and one civilian being killed. On 9 June 2019, fighters of the Syrian Democratic Forces attacked Turkish troops, killing 1 soldier and wounding 7. In response, the Turkish Armed Forces responded days later with shelling.
- ANF News Desk (5 May 2019). "Afrin Liberation Forces: 40 terrorists killed in Afrin". ANF News. Ajansa Nûçeyan a Firatê. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- Zagros, Berxwedan (4 May 2019). "Kurdish forces and #SAA repelled attacks by Turkish-backed jihadists on Malikiya for the third time. There many casualties among #TFSA". Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Woofers (4 May 2019). "Syrian Army artillery was directly involved with shelling TFSA positions today". Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "The pro-Turkey factions of "Olive Branch and Euphrates Shield" withdraw from the areas they have advanced into in the northern countryside at the expense of the Kurdish forces after heavy shelling and landmine explosions". Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Desk, News (5 May 2019). "Turkish Army cancels offensive in northern Aleppo amid safe zone talks with Russia: reports". Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2019-05-05. Retrieved 2019-05-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Four Turkish soldiers killed in attacks by Kurdish militants,..." Reuters. 4 May 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019 – via www.reuters.com.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Şafak, Yeni (4 May 2019). "Tel Rıfat operasyonu başladı: Maranez köyü PKK'dan kurtarıldı". Yeni Şafak. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Desk, Devdiscourse News. "Syrian rebel force liberate Kurdish YPG-held village - official". Devdiscourse. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Turkey-backed Syrian rebels launch attack into Kurdish-held area". 4 May 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019 – via www.reuters.com.
- "Under the continuous escalation and after less than 15 days of killing Turkish officers, renewed violent clashes in Tal Rifaat area between the Kurdish Forces and pro-Turkish factions killed 5 of the latter, coinciding with a violent Turkish bombardment targets Tal Rifaat and its vicinity".
- "At least 7 people were killed and injured in the heavy shelling by the Turkish Forces on Tal Rifaat north of Aleppo".