International demonstrations and protests relating to the Syrian civil war
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This article has multiple issues. Please help to improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
International demonstrations and protests relating to the Syrian Civil War have taken place outside Syria during the war.
- Canada: On 30, March, protesters in support of the Syrian government faced off against anti government protesters in downtown Montreal.
- Australia: On 3 April, in Sydney and Melbourne there were large demonstrations in support for Bashar Al-Assad.
- 11 June:
- Canada: Some 300 demonstrators called for Bashar al-Assad to step down in downtown Montreal.
- United Kingdom: In London, over 100 gathered in a "peaceful but noisy protest" outside the Syrian embassy. Subsequently, some of the protesters and their families in Syria were intimidated by the Syrian authorities for taking part.
- United Kingdom: On 28 June, in London, around 30 Syrians gathered outside Downing Street.
- United Kingdom: On 4 October, in London, a demonstration co-ordinated by Amnesty International against the Syrian regime, around 40 Syrians from all over the UK held placards outside the Syrian embassy.
- United Kingdom: On 29 October, in London, hundreds rallied outside the embassy chanting "Free, Free, Syria!" Campaigners put their numbers at over 900. There was also a small counter-protest in support of Assad. The protest came a day after reports claims security forces killed about 40 people in Syria.
- 30 October
- Canada: 100 people marched through downtown Montreal in solidarity with anti-government protestors in Syria.
- United Kingdom: On 20 December, in London, around 50 Syrians protest outside the embassy.
- 4 February
- Egypt: In Cairo, around 50 protesters ransacked the Syrian embassy, setting the ground floor on fire.
- Germany: In Berlin, around 20 people vandalized offices inside the Syrian embassy.
- United Kingdom: In London, 150 gathered outside the Syrian embassy at 2am. after reports that more than 200 people had been killed in by government forces in Homs. Some protesters were arrested for disorder. Later in the day, another crowd of around 300 clashed with police outside the embassy.
- Australia: On 5 February, Syria's embassy in Canberra was ransacked[by whom?] and later in the day a protest of around 100 in Sydney's Hyde Park condemned Russia and China for vetoing a UN resolution that condemned the violence in Syria.
- Spain: On 11 February, in Barcelona, around 50 Syrian citizens protested against the regime and Russia's veto of at the UN.
- United States: On 17 February, in New Haven, Connecticut, around 150 members of the Syrian community protested against the Syrian government.
- United Kingdom: On 18 February, in London, thousands marched down Edgware Road to the Syrian embassy in an event organised by Hizb-ut Tahrir. Some placards read: "Bashar al-Assad - the killer of Muslims."
- Hīt, Iraq: 4,000 Sunnis protested against President Bashar Assad, many shouting slogans calling him a "coward" and "the enemy of God."
- Tirana, Albania: Hundreds of young Albanian marched on 8 June in Skanderbeg Square against the violence exercised by the Syrian army.
- United Kingdom: On 28 August, several hundred people, ranging from teenagers to the elderly, protested in London against British military involvement in Syria as it echoed the buildup of the Iraq War. Protesters held placards bearing slogans such as "Hands off Syria" and "Cut war, not welfare".
- 31 August:
- 1 September
- USA: Demonstrators rally in several cities opposing plans to launch military strikes over alleged deadly gas attack, believing the result will end up like the Iraq war.
- UK: Thousands of people have protested in central London against possible US strikes on Syria.
- France: In Paris, Protesters marched through the city condemning U.S. President Barack Obama and French President François Hollande for considering to strike Syria.
- Pro and Anti Syrian Government protests in Montreal Archived 6 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine, 30 March 2011.
- Friends of Syria.
- 300 protest Syrian regime in Canada, AFP, 11 June 2011.
- Syrians Protest Outside London Embassy Archived 18 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine, 11 June 2011.
- Syrian embassy accused of threatening protesters in UK, The Guardian, 22 June 2011.
- Syrian anti-Assad protests continue on Downing Street - London Archived 14 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine, 28 June 2011.
- Protesters gather at Syrian embassy in London, The Guardian, 4 October 2011.
- Hundreds protest over Syrian deaths, Evening Standard, 29 October 2011.
- Montreal demonstration supports anti-government protests in Syria, 3 November 2011.
- Free Syrians Protest at London Embassy Archived 18 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine, 20 December 2011.
- 12 arrests during protests at Syrian embassy in London, Daily Telegraph, 4 February 2012.
- Arrests at Syrian embassy protest, BBC, 4 February 2012.
- Syrian embassy in Canberra trashed, SKY News, 5 February 2012.
- Syrian citizens protest against the Bashar al-Assad regime Archived 14 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine, 11 February 2012.
- About 150 rally on New Haven Green for end to bloodshed in Syria, 18 February 2012.
- Hizb-ut Tahrir organise march to support the uprising in Syria Archived 22 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine, 18 February 2012.
- "Thousands of Iraqi Sunnis protest Assad rule", The Daily Star, March, 2012.
- Tiranë, aktivitet-homazh për viktimat në Siri Archived 4 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine, ABC News, 2012-06-08 (in Albanian)
- Holt, Gerry (28 August 2013). "BBC News - Syria: Are UK anti-war protests gaining momentum?". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Protests, rallies on U.S. military action in Syria
- "Protests held in US over Syria intervention - Middle East". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Rally in UK opposes possible Syria strikes - Europe". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 14 February 2014.