East Hama offensive (2017)Wikipedia open wikipedia design.
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (August 2018)
The Eastern Hama offensive (2017) was a military operation conducted by the Syrian Army against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) with the goal to secure the Ithriyah-Sheikh Hilal road, the government supply line towards Aleppo, and advance towards Wadi Auzain.
On 31 May, the Syrian Arab Army and its allies, supported by the Russian Air Force, began an offensive towards the IS stronghold of Uqayribat, in the eastern part of the Salamiyah District in Hama Governorate. The next day, a new batch of government reinforcements arrived for the offensive. Uqayribat had been used by ISIL as a launching pad for attacks on Salamiyah. On 3 June, Syrian and Russian warplanes carried out more than 30 air strikes ISIL positions. Heavy artillery and missiles were also used.
During the morning of 5 June, the Syrian Arab Army, supported by the NDF, started an operation on a second axis against ISIL to the south of Sheikh Hilal. Before the ground attack, ISIL positions were hit by non-stop air strikes and artillery shelling. The next day, the Army captured two towns south-east of Sheikh Hilal.
On 12 June, the Syrian Army sent technicals, anti-aircraft guns and artillery pieces mounted on trucks to the area. Four days later, government forces restarted the offensive, capturing the large hilltop of Tal Dabbart Debah and then shifting their attention to the Aqareb Dam. During 18 June, the Army captured four villages north of Uqayribat, along the road between Ithriya and Al-Saan. On 13 July, Desert Hawks alongside NDF and Liwa al-Quds secured villages of Um Tuwaynah, al-Hardaneh and al-Qatshiyah, south of Salamiyah-Ithriyah road, thus securing the supply line to Aleppo city.
- "New Deaths of Hezbollah militia in Syria". El-Dorar Al-Shamia. 13 May 2017. Archived from the original on 17 May 2017. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Map + field report: Military situation in eastern Syria – June 27, 2017
- Aymenn Jawad Al-Tamimi (24 December 2016). "The Fifth Legion: A New Auxiliary Force". Syria Comment. Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (11 December 2016). "ISIS fully retakes Palmyra in stunning blitz offensive – Map update". al-Masdar News. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (2 March 2017). "Islamic State retreats from Palmyra amid stunning Syrian Army offensive". al-Masdar News. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Fadel, Leith (11 February 2017). "Syrian special forces leave west Palmyra for east Aleppo". al-Masdar News.
- "Ivan Sidorenko on Twitter".
- "ISIS Hunters on Twitter".
- Fadel, Leith (16 December 2016). "Elite Syrian Army unit parachutes into Palmyra countryside". al-Masdar News. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- Who are the pro-Assad militias in Syria? Middle East Eye, 25 September 2015
- Tomson, Chris (2 March 2017). "Islamic State retreats from Palmyra amid stunning Syrian Army offensive". Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- Leith Fadel (23 February 2016). "Exclusive: Over 900 Syrian Marines join elite military shield forces". al-Masdar News. Archived from the original on 23 February 2016.
- Yakovlev, Ivan (20 December 2016). "The fall of Palmyra: Chronology of the events". al-Masdar News.
- Fadel, Leith (12 February 2017). "Russian special forces arrive in west Palmyra". al-Masdar News.
- Albin Szakola (16 December 2016). "Hezbollah deploys to Palmyra front: report". NOW. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Syrian Army recaptures new points from ISIS in east Hama". AMN - Al-Masdar News | المصدر نيوز. 6 June 2017. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Syrian Army, Russian forces launch fresh offensive against ISIS in Eastern Hama". 31 May 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Moscow sees positive military and political developments in Syria". Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Prominent pro-government unit to participate in East Hama offensive against ISIS (PHOTOS)". 1 June 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Syrian, Russian airstrikes hammer ISIS in east Hama". 3 June 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Pictures: SAA launches massive operation against ISIS in east Hama countryside". 5 June 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- VIDEO: Syrian Army sends nearly 100 military vehicles to defeat ISIS in eastern Hama
- Syrian Army advances against ISIL in east Hama
- "Syrian Army captures four villages in eastern Hama". AMN - Al-Masdar News | المصدر نيوز. 18 June 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Syrian Civil War Map
- "BREAKING: Pro-Syria forces achieve major advance against ISIS in east Hama". AMN - Al-Masdar News | المصدر نيوز. 13 July 2017. Retrieved 13 July 2017.