North Lebanon clashes (2014)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
The North Lebanon clashes were a conflict that occurred on October 2014, between the Lebanese Army and Islamist militants in the area of the North Governorate, being also part of the Syrian Civil War spillover in Lebanon.
The clashes were sparked by a successful Internal Security Forces (ISF) cordon-and-search operation, during which explosives, assault rifles and rocket propelled grenades were found in houses located on the Tripoli area. Among the raided houses, one belonged to Khaled al-Daher, a member of the Parliament of Lebanon. Four rifles were confiscated from Daher's property.
On 24 October 2014, the Lebanese army clashed with Islamist militants in the historic center of Tripoli. The fighting erupted when an army patrol came under a hit and run attack, in the Khan al-Askar area of the city. Four soldiers were wounded in the incident.
On 25 October 2014, fighting intensified. At least 11 soldiers, 8 civilians and 22 militants were killed in the battle and 162 militants were arrested. A total of 24 soldiers and civilians were wounded in the fighting. A separate attack occurred in the village of Minieh, in the outskirts of Tripoli. One soldier was killed and two wounded after RPGs were fired at an army vehicle. The Lebanese army responded by firing at rebel positions from helicopters.
On 26 October 2014, four soldiers were killed after an ambush in the town of Dhour Muhammara. One soldier was killed and one was injured in the aftermath of a firefight in the town of Bhannine. Several of the attackers wounded and arrested. The Lebanese army defused three trapped vehicles in front of a school earlier held by the militants.
On 29 October 2014, Lebanese army commander Jean Kahwaji rejected rumors of a secret truce between Islamists and the military. During the day, 71 suspected militants were arrested in the areas of Arsal and the Bekaa Valley.
On 30 October 2014, the Internal Security Forces raided several houses in the Abi Samra neighborhood of Tripoli. Assault rifles, explosives, grenades and other weaponry were confiscated; the weapons belonged to Sheikh Bilal Diqmaq, head of the Iqraa Organization for Social Development. Eight people were arrested in connection with the attacks, and an additional six Syrians were apprehended for lack of identification papers.
On 31 October 2014, six explosive devices were defused near the Rawshani mosque, Tripoli. Two associates of Sheikh Khaled Hablas were arrested in the Zouk al-Habalisa area of Akkar, the army also confiscated weapons and ammunition in the same area.
On 1 November 2014, an army patrol uncovered a large weapons depot, containing 25 assault rifles, grenades and other military equipment in the city of Tripoli. One man was detained, in connection with the discovered weapons.
On 2 November 2014, two men were arrested in Bhannine for carrying out attacks on soldiers; a rocket propelled grenade and military gear were seized.
On 3 November 2014, material damage was caused after three rockets were fired into the Bekaa from the Anti-Lebanon mountains. Seven people were detained in Tripoli on various charges related to the recent clashes in that city. Militants engaged in a firefight with Lebanese border guards in the Arsal region, after failing to enter into Lebanon.
On 4 November 2014, three people were arrested in Tripoli and five in Bhannine in separate operations carried by the Internal Security Forces. The Lebanese army repelled an attack by jihadist militants attempting to cross into Lebanon near the town of Arsal.
On 5 November 2014, seven suspected militants were arrested in the Dinniyeh region, weapons and military equipment were also confiscated. Two militants were detained also detained in the southern port city of Sidon. Four men were detained in the town of Taanayel, Zahlé district, on charges of illegal weapons possession and conspiring to kidnap.
- Syrian Civil War spillover in Lebanon
- Timeline of violent events relating to the Syrian Civil War spillover in Lebanon (2014–present)
- "A time of triumph for armed forces". Daily Star. 31 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "No compromise with soldier-killers". Daily Star. 30 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Clashes Between Army, Gunmen in Bhannine, Four soldiers Killed After Being Ambushed". Naharnet. 27 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Army Arrests Lebanese and Syrians in Tripoli Raids, Seizes Arms Depot for Sheikh Diqmaq". Naharnet. 31 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Antoine Amrieh (27 October 2014). "Order restored in Tripoli as Lebanese Army seizes last militant bastion". Daily Star. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Nazih Siddiq (27 October 2014). "Guns fall silent in Lebanon's Tripoli as army moves in". Reuters. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Kahwagi visits troops as Army nabs more militants in north Lebanon". Daily Star. 30 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Two Suspects Linked to Sheikh Hoblos Arrested in Akkar". Naharnet. 31 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Deadly battle in Tripoli as Lebanese forces clash with Islamist gunmen". SBS. 26 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Yousuf Basil (26 October 2014). "Militants, civilians killed, soldiers injured in clashes in Lebanon". CNN. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Army Detains Suspect in North, Issues Arrest Warrant against Bilal Diqmaq". Naharnet. 2 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Army Continues Crackdown in Tripoli, Akkar amid Raids near al-Beddawi". Naharnet. 3 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Rockets Fired from Eastern Mountain Range Land in Bekaa". Naharnet. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Suspects Arrested in Tripoli for Assaults on Army". Naharnet. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Army Repels Attack by Gunmen in Arsal". Naharnet. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Army arrests three militant suspects in north Lebanon". Daily Star. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Army Arrests Arab Democratic Party Member in Akkar, 5 Suspects in Bhannine". Naharnet. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Army Thwarts Infiltration by Gunmen into Arsal". Naharnet. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Army Arrests 2 Dangerous Fugitives in Sidon, 7 'Terrorists' in Dinniyeh". Naharnet. 4 November 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.