Battle of Bosra (2015)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Battle of Bosra|
|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
Map showing the rebel offensive to seize Bosra
| Free Syrian Army|
Islamic Muthanna Movement
|Imam al-Hussein Brigade|
|Commanders and leaders|
| Gen. Bashar al-Zoubi|
(Southern Front leader)
(Shabab alsunna brigade leader)
| Abu Kadhim Khudr †|
(Imam al-Hussein Brigade commander)
| 52nd Brigade|
|Casualties and losses|
|4 civilians killed|
On 21 March 2015, the offensive was launched by rebels on Syrian Army positions in and around Bosra.
On 24 March 2015, rebels advanced in the town and besieged a number of soldiers in the ancient citadel, which the Army relieved after a counterattack. The Syrian Air Force launched 10 airstrikes on the town, while 30 barrel bombs were also dropped that day. The Army also fired rockets on the nearby Maaraba hospital, where injured rebels were being treated, which completely levelled the building.
On 25 March 2015, FSA rebels backed by Islamist factions captured the town and its UNESCO archaeological sites. According to a pro-government source, Army and militia units retreated from their positions in the town after the promised reinforcements were not deployed.
On 29 March, local clashes took place in Glen town between the Islamic Muthanna Movement and al-Sunna lions brigade after an "argument" occurred about dividing the seized weapons and ammunition from Bosra. One fighter from the Islamic Muthanna Movement was killed, while three fighters were injured from both sides in the clashes.
- "Syria rebels storm Idlib city in three-pronged attack". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Jabhat al-Nusra looks for battlefield breakout". Al-Monitor. Archived from the original on 31 March 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- ROMAN-ERA TOWN FALLS TO REBELS
- "archicivilians on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Master. "Clashes between 2 Islamic battalions in Dar'a countryside". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Archived from the original on 3 April 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Leith Fadel (24 March 2015). "The Syrian Arab Army Regains Full Control Over the Busra Al-Sham Castle; Fierce Clashes Ongoing". Al-Masdar News. Archived from the original on 28 June 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- Master. "Rebel and Islamic battalions take control on Busra al-Sham". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- sohranas. "14 members of the regime forces and Islamic battalions killed in Daraa and al- Suwaydaa". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Archived from the original on 25 March 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- sohranas. "The opposition shells kill 16 people in Aleppo and Idlib, while 12 fighters died in Daraa". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- المرصد السوري. "نحو 40 غارة وبرميل نفذها وألقاها الطيران الحربي والمروحي على بصرى الشام والمقاتلون يتقدمون في البلدة". المرصد السورى لحقوق الإنسان. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- "Syria rebels seize ancient town near Jordanian border". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Mainstream Syrian rebels seize historic town in south: monitor". Reuters. 25 March 2015. Archived from the original on 29 September 2015. Retrieved 25 March 2015.