Fadlallah al-HajiWikipedia open wikipedia design.
فضل الله الحجي
|Born||Kafr Yahmoul, Idlib Governorate, Syria|
|Allegiance|| Syria (until 2012)|
Syrian Interim Government (2013–present)
|Branch|| Syrian National Army (2017–present)|
|Years of service||?–2012|
Brigadier general (2019–present)
|Unit||Sham Legion (2014–present)|
|Battles/wars||Syrian Civil War |
Fadlallah al-Haji (Arabic: فضل الله الحجي) is a Syrian rebel leader, close to Turkey and the Muslim Brotherhood. Considered a "scrupulous military man" by other Syrian rebel leaders and a "Turkish protégé", al-Haji has led the Sham Legion since its formation in 2014. He was appointed chief of staff of the Syrian Interim Government's General Staff of its Ministry of Defence in 2017, and has been the commander-in-chief of the National Front for Liberation since its formation in 2018. The NFL merged with the Syrian National Army in October 2019, and al-Haji was appointed a deputy chief of staff of the SNA, continuing to preside over the NFL, which will restructure into four legions.
Little is known about al-Haji's background; his photos were completely absent from the media and social networking sites until his public appearance in a press announcement in Urfa, southern Turkey, on 4 October 2019 that saw the National Front for Liberation merge with the Syrian National Army. The Sham Legion is also known for keeping lists of its commanders, including dozens of defected military officers, secretive.
Fadlallah al-Haji was born in the village of Kafr Yahmoul in the northern Idlib countryside in northwestern Syria. He joined the Syrian Armed Forces and attained the rank of colonel. In late 2012, during the escalation of the Syrian Civil War, he defected to the Free Syrian Army and joined the Shield of the Revolution Brigade as the group's deputy commander, serving under Colonel Mustafa Abdul Karim.
- "Turkey Realigns Idlib's Factions Protecting them against Assad's Offensive". Enab Baladi. 6 August 2018.
- Aron Lund (3 September 2018). "Syrian war: Understanding Idlib's rebel factions". IRIN.
- "Will Turkey abandon its proxies in Idlib?". The Arab Weekly. 2 September 2018.
- "The Syrian Interim Government Announces Formation Of Ministry Of Defense Staff". Revolutionary Forces of Syria Media Office. 20 September 2018.
- ""National Army" Restructured Having Merged With "National Front for Liberation"". Enab Baladi. 5 October 2019.
- "Three commanders in control of the "National Army" in northern Syria .. You know them". Enab Baladi. 5 October 2019.