Battle of Khirbet Al-Joz
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Battle of Khirbet Al-Joz|
|Part of Idlib Governorate clashes (June 2012–April 2013) (Syrian Civil War)|
|Free Syrian Army|
|Commanders and leaders|
|unknown|| Abu Baeda|
(Kaws al-Nasser Brigade commander)
Abdelwahed Wahud(Army defector)
|45th Army Regiment||unknown|
|110 soldiers||250 fighters|
|Casualties and losses|
|40 killed||9 killed|
|Total: 50 killed|
The Battle of Khirbet Al-Joz was fought between forces of the Syrian Army and the FSA for control of the town. On 6 October 2012, the FSA launched an attack on the government occupied village of Kherbet Eljoz, near the Turkish border. The FSA took control of the village after a 12-hour-long battle with government forces.
On 6 October, rebels launched an offensive on the border village Khirbet al-Joz in the Idlib Governorate. The FSA was said to first attacked a government border outpost just west of the village. Which left 3 rebels and 15 government soldiers dead. Fighting later intensified in Khirbet al-Joz itself, as rebels attempted to retake the village. Activists claimed that the rebels had captured a 3-story high water tower in the center of Khirbet al-Joz, after 12 hours of fighting with government forces.
On 7 October, the FSA released a statement indicating that they have taken full control of Khirbet al-Joz and its surroundings. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights confirmed the capture and put the number of dead at 40 soldiers, including 5 officers and 9 rebels.
In late October, the Syrian army conducted a series of airstrikes on rebel positions near Khirbet al-Joz.
- "40 government soldiers killed". October 6, 2012. Archived from the original on October 25, 2014. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "Rebel deminer on mission to protect Syria refugees". ReliefWeb. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian crisis". Archived from the original on September 24, 2015. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "اقتحام قرية خربة الجوز على الحدود مع تركيا". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-06-23. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- 50 dead as Syria rebels take border town |