Tishrin Dam offensive
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
The Tishrin Dam offensive, or Southern Kobanî offensive, was a military operation in the northeastern Aleppo Governorate during the Syrian Civil War, conducted by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) to capture the strategic Tishrin Dam and the southern countryside of the self-declared Kobanî Canton from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). The Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve supported the SDF offensive with over 26 airstrikes.
On 23 December, the joint command of the Syrian Democratic Forces officially launched the offensive, with the goal to "clear all areas in southern Kobanî Canton that have been occupied by elements of the terrorist group known as Daesh (ISIS)".
On 24 December, the SDF captured the villages of Sahrij, Al Jabal, Abaydad, Al Mansia, Miruha, Sajjadi, Dandoshan, Birdan and over fifteen farmlands south of the town of Sarrin, which was captured by the YPG and Free Syrian Army earlier in the same year, during the Battle of Sarrin. 14 ISIL members and 2 SDF fighters were killed during the battles.
On 25 December, the alliance of Kurdish, Arab and Assyrian militias seized the villages of Bojakh, Hafyan, Munsiye, Sofayte, Saqit, Dahr Al–Faraj and the surrounding farms from ISIL. During a nighttime raid, 12 ISIL members were killed. At that point, the SDF had managed to capture 16 km along the east bank of the Euphrates.
On 26 December, the Syrian Democratic Forces captured the Tishrin Dam and the villages of Bir Shumal, Bir Bagar, Abdilkiye, Tal Banat, Khishkhash, Al-Wesi and Miwelih. The SDF managed to kill five ISIL fighters and captured another eight alive. A total of 50 villages were seized from ISIL during the first four days of the offensive.
On 27 December, the SDF advanced on the western bank of the Euphrates. They captured the towns of Tishrin and Sakaniya. At least 15 members of ISIL were killed during the operation. On the same day ISIL executed four young men in Manbij who were accused of being members of the SDF.
On 30 December, the general command of the Syrian Democratic Forces declared the end of the operation to liberate the southern areas of the Kobanî Canton. The SDF captured over 100 villages and hamlets, the Tishrin Dam, an area of ~640 km², and killed 219 ISIL fighters, according to a balance sheet released by the SDF. An additional 100 ISIL fighters were killed by Coalition airstrikes during the offensive. Seven SDF members and two members of the police force Asayish died during the operation.
- November 2015 Sinjar offensive
- Battle of al-Hasakah (June–August 2015)
- Al-Hawl offensive
- Al-Shaddadi offensive (2016)
- Manbij offensive (2016)
- Battle of Tabqa (2017)
- List of wars and battles involving ISIL
- Al-Khalidi, Suleiman (24 December 2015). "U.S.-backed alliance pushes toward Islamic State-held dam in northern Syria". Reuters.
- "Syrian Kurds take strategic dam from 'Islamic State'". DW.COM.
- Kurdish-Arab join forces advance against ISIS north Aleppo
- General Command of SDF announcing balance sheet of OP south of Kobane: 100 villages liberated & 219 IS killed. According to SDF an area of 640 square kilometres with 100 villages and hamlets are under the control of SDF. 7 fighters of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) & 2 Asayish-members martyred. (ku.hawarnews.com) Archived 1 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- Sardar Mlla Drwish (18 March 2016). "Raqqa brigade continues to raise flag of Syrian revolution". Al-Monitor. Archived from the original on 8 April 2016. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "SDF plays central role in Syrian civil war" (PDF). Jane's Intelligence Review. January 2016. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Syrian Democratic Forces Initiate Second Round of Operations Against Daesh in Northern Syria". Washington Kurdish Institute.
- "Effective Operations Carried Out Hours After Enduring QSD Campaign Aimed at Confronting Daesh in Southern Kobane". People's Defense Units Official Website. Archived from the original on 3 January 2016.
- "U.S.-backed alliance captures key dam from Islamic State: alliance spokesman". Reuters. 26 December 2015.
- "SDF takes control over Tishreen Dam's Housing after 24 hours of seizing this strategic dam". Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. 27 December 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Women Freedom Forces: Cemre Has Fallen, Spring Is Close". 10 July 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- American soldiers among SDF forces
- Aleppo : 10 #US officers and 60 soldiers arrived at #Tishrin_Dam two days ago to form an operations room with Syrian Democratic Forces. 1–3
- Iraqi Flag Waves Over Ramadi; Security Forces Control Key City
- "Syrian Democratic Forces Push Further South of Kobane, Secure More Villages (Dec. 25)". People's Defense Units Official Website. Archived from the original on 3 January 2016.
- "QSD Spokesman: Fifty Villages, Canals, River Crossings Secured During Military Campaign In Southern Kobane". People's Defense Units Official Website. Archived from the original on 30 December 2015.
- Four young men executed in main Manbij square