February 2016 Homs bombings
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|February 2016 Homs massacre|
|Part of Syrian Civil War|
|Location||Al-Zahra neighbourhood, Homs, Syria|
|Date||21 February 2016|
|Target||Alawite civilians heading to work|
|Perpetrators||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
On 21 February 2016, two car bombs struck exploded in the predominantly Alawite neighborhood of al-Zahra in Homs, Syria. The bombings killed at least 57 people and injured more than 100 others. At least 60 surrounding buildings and dozens of cars were destroyed in the blasts.
The bombings occurred during the Sunday morning rush hour on the Sixtieth Street. The initial death toll was 34, but rose due to the number of people critically injured. According to a Syrian government television channel, they targeted students and government employees going to work. Dozens of vehicles were destroyed and a number of nearby buildings were damaged. It aimed supporters of the government at a time when it was making significant military gains.
The bombings occurred on the same day as bombings in the Damascus suburb of Sayyidah Zaynab that killed at least 30. The attacks in Homs and Damascus were claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
Bombings in Homs in January 2016 had killed 22 people.
- Nearly 200 people killed in six explosions at Sayeda Zeinab and Zahraa, SOHR, 23 February 2016.
- "Provisional agreement reached on Syrian ceasefire, car bombs kill 46 in city of Homs". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Twin bombings claimed by Islamic State kill dozens in Syria's Homs". Reuters. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- ISIL car bomb attacks kill 129 in Damascus and Homs, Al Jazeera, 21 February 2016
- "Dozens Killed in Double Car Bombing in Syrian City of Homs". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Syria: Dozens killed as bombers strike in Homs and Damascus, regime says". CNN. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Syria conflict: Blasts in Homs and Damascus 'kill dozens'". BBC. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- More Than 140 Killed by ISIS Bombings in Damascus, Homs in Syria, Haaretz, 21 February 2016
- "Bombings kill at least 87 in Syria as Kerry pushes ceasefire". Times Live. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
|Timeline of events|
|Politics and organization|
|Media of the Islamic State|