Timeline of the Syrian civil war (January–April 2016)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Free Syrian Army groups supported the Saudi decision to sever diplomatic ties with Iran.
Pro Government National Defence Forces (Syria) captures the desert village of Al-Bayarat in the northwestern countryside of Palmyra from Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. There were also clashes between the two parties near the small village of Al-Dawa. On the same day, People's Protection Units fought Islamic State (IS) militants, defending Ain Issa, Sarrin, and Tishrin Dam which was seized from IS in December 2015.
A United Nations-led aid convoy enters the besieged town of Madaya to deliver food and medical aid to 40,000 people. Aid also reaches the villages of Al-Fu'ah and Kafriya, under siege by rebel forces in the Idlib Governorate.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant abducts over 400 civilians from Al-Baghaliyeh suburb in the eastern Syrian city of Deir Ezzor, after clashes with Syrian Army forces and their allies that left over 150 combatants killed.
The Syrian Army announces the beginning of the 3rd Phase of the Lattakia Offensive with the aim of sealing the Northeastern Corner of the Latakia Governorate and create a frontline at the rebel city of Jisr Al-Shughour.
A top Saudi defence chief said Saudi Arabia is ready to send ground troops to Syria if the United States accepts it. The United Arab Emirates announced its intentions to deploy ground forces in Syria according to Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash, however it added that United States lead was a prerequisite for the UAE.
The Syrian Foreign Minister warned against a foreign ground intervention; saying that any foreign army troops entering Syria without government consent would "return home in wooden coffins", Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem said, in reference to Saudi Arabia no made in the past two days.
Bassam al-Kuwaiti, a political Syrian Opposition figure told Voice of America that Moderate Opposition face a wipe out in Northern Aleppo as the Russian backed Syrian offensive continues. Free Syrian Army forces are already relying on Ahrar al-Sham and Al-Qaeda linked al-Nusra, being merge and disband their last option.
Turkey shells YPG positions in northern Aleppo.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu accuses Russia of acting as a "terrorist organization" in Syria, saying "If Russia continues behaving like a terrorist organization and forcing civilians to flee, we will deliver an extremely decisive response".
Al-Arabiyah reports of Turkish officials discomfort with the United States regarding its stance with the Kurds.
At least 46 people were killed and several injured in a double car bombs explosion in the city of Homs. At least 30 people were killed in several bomb blasts near Damascus. Both incidents were masterminded by ISIS.
The Syrian Arab Army and pro-government forces have encircled and overrun the Al-Safira plains between Aleppo and Kuweires Military Airbase. 20 villages were seized over the previous 24 hours and 40 kilometers of highway were cleared. In addition, 50 ISIS fighters were killed in the past 24 hours.
Jund al-Aqsa and the Free Syrian Army captured the village of Rasm al-Nafal, to the southwest of Lake Jabbul, severing the Ithriyah-Khanasser Highway again for the second time in 5 months. In a coordinated action, ISIL had also captured multiple villages along the southern shore of Lake Jabbul and to the south of Rasm al-Nafal, sealing off more of the Aleppo road and Sheikh Hilal-Ithriyah Road. Counter-attacks by Syrian Arab Army have failed to immediately dislodge militants from the majority of the captured positions.
In the aftermath of the combined rebel and ISIL breakthrough south of Lake Jabbul, the Syrian Army launched a large-scale counter-attack, dislodging ISIL from the town of Khanasir which they had captured 2 days before.
Saudi Arabia accuses Russia and Syria of ceasefire violations
A car bomb killed at least 18 members of the Syria Revolutionaries Front including its leader Muhammad al-Qairi, also known as Abu Hamza al-Naimi in southern Syria. The attack was likely carried out by ISIS sleeper cells.
Two Syrian air strikes hit the town of Douma in Eastern Ghouta, leaving one person killed; it is unknown if the dead was a civilian or a rebel fighter. Over 118 people have been killed during the 5 day long ceasefire areas including 24 civilians. Meanwhile, in non truce areas the dead ascended to 552, mostly in clashes against the Islamic State.
Syrian rebels reported that they have shot down a warplane near Hama. The Al Qaeda-linked Nusra Front seized the bases and weapons of a Western-backed rebel group in overnight fighting in northwestern Syria. Syria’s foreign minister, Walid al-Muallem said that peace talks will fail if any party tries to discuss the presidency in a transition government, calling the incumbent president, Bashar al-Assad, a “red line”.
Russia started a partial withdrawal of troops from Syria, however air strikes will continue. 
al-Qaeda linked Nusra Front and other Syrian rebels attack Syrian government forces, and take a strategic hill from them.
The Syrian affiliate of al-Qaeda, the al-Nusra Front, shoot down and capture a pilot of the Syrian Arab Air Force near Aleppo.
“Abu Saqqqar” a Syrian rebel that appeared on 2013 in a video trying to eat the heart of a dead Syrian soldier, is killed in the countryside of Idlib.
At least 210 combatants are killed in Syria Aleppo during a week of fighting; 82 government troops, 94 rebels and 34 Islamic State jihadists according to the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights
- Leith Fadel (5 January 2016). "Battle for Sheikh Miskeen intensifies as Islamists counter at Battalion 82 HQ". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (4 January 2016). "Free Syrian Army issues a statement in support of Saudi Arabia severing ties with Iran". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Gunmen assassinate commander of Syrian rebel group". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (7 January 2016). "Breaking: Syrian Army captures Al-Bayarat in west Palmyra". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Kajjo, Sirwan (7 January 2016). "Kurdish Forces Battle IS to Keep Control of Strategic Syrian Dam". Voice of America. Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Madaya Syria: Aid convoy reaches besieged town". BBC News. 11 January 2016. Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "Syria: Army seizes 'full control' of rebel-held town, Salma". MilitaryTimes. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Putin does not rule out granting Syria's Assad asylum". BBC News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- El Housseini, Rouba (12 January 2016). "Syria army 'seizes' key rebel stronghold in Latakia". Agence France-Presse. Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 13 January 2016 – via Yahoo! News.
- "Sami on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- "AEJ خليل ้้้้้็็็็Ⓜ on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- "Syria conflict: Conflicting accounts of Deir al-Zour attack". BBC News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Missile kills 11 Islamists, 5 others in Syria’s Idlib. Alarabiyah.com Retrieved 25.01.2016
- "Tide turns in Syrian war with capture of key town". Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Syria says 45 killed in Damascus area blast". Fox17. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Syrian Army begins 3rd phase of Latakia Offensive.
- Syrian army and allies breaks rebel siege of Shi'ite towns - army http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-mideast-crisis-syria-aleppo-idUKKCN0VC1WI
- "Saudi Ready To Send Ground Troops To Syria". Sky News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "UAE says it is ready to send ground troops to Syria". Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Syria says any foreign troops would 'return in coffins'". Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Moderate Syrian Rebel Factions Face Wipe-Out". VOA. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "The Syria War Will Not Be a Quagmire -- Because Putin and Assad Are Winning". The Huffington Post. 8 February 2016. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Exclusive: U.S. Allies Now Fighting CIA-Backed Rebels". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Turkey shells Kurdish-held air base in Syria's Aleppo". Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Russian airstrikes destroy Doctors Without Borders-backed hospital in Syria, activists say". Fox News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Syria crisis: Hospital strike deliberate, says MSF". BBC News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Turkey PM: Russia acts like 'terrorist organization' - Latest News Briefs - Arutz Sheva". Arutz Sheva. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Kurds' advance in Syria divides U.S. and Turkey as Russia bombs
- "Saudi ground forces would target ISIS in Syria: minister". The Daily Star Newspaper - Lebanon. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Syria conflict: Homs and Damascus bomb blasts kill 140". BBC News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- STT, AFP. "Yli sata kuoli terrori-iskuissa Syyriassa". KSML.fi – Keskisuomalainen. Archived from the original on 9 October 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (21 February 2016). "Battle for Al-Safira Plains in east Aleppo is over: Tiger Forces capture every village". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Syrian army seizes Aleppo villages, takes aim at Raqqa". Al-Jazeera. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- jack. "Advances for regime forces in Aleppo countryside". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "50 IS fighters killed in Syria regime Aleppo advance: monitor". AFP. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "Syria conflict: US-Russia brokered truce to start at weekend". BBC News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (23 February 2016). "Syrian government supply route to Aleppo still cut as fierce clashes continue". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (23 February 2016). "ISIS cuts two different government supply routes". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (25 February 2016). "Tiger Forces recapture the important city of Khanasser from ISIS". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Joint Statement of the United States and the Russian Federation, as Co-Chairs of the ISSG, on Cessation of Hostilities in Syria". U.S. Department of State. 22 February 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Temporary truce comes into effect". BBC News. 26 February 2016.
- Last Hour: Saudi blames Russia, Syria for truce violations
- "Spotlight: Syrian cease-fire holds, remains fragile amid accusations". Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- John Irish and Stephanie Nebehay (29 February 2016). "Syria ceasefire task force meets, France wants answers on violations". Reuters. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Leith Fadel (29 February 2016). "Syrian Army officially reopens strategic supply route to Aleppo". Al-Masdar News. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Syria rebel leader killed in Golan car bombing". Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- jack. "135, including 32 civilians, were killed in 7 days of military operations in the truce areas". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Syria rebels say they shot down warplane". The Jerusalem Post - JPost.com. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Al Qaeda in Syria seizes bases, weapons of Western-backed group". The Jerusalem Post - JPost.com. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- Nicola Slawson. "Syrian government calls Bashar al-Assad a 'red line' in peace talks". the Guardian. Retrieved 21 March 2016.
- "Vladimir Putin orders Russian military to begin withdrawal from Syria". Independent. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
- "Syrian troops enter city of Palmyra after Russian airstrikes". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Syrian army captures parts of ISIL-held Palmyra". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Palmyra: Syria forces 'enter Islamic State-held city'". British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- "Nusra Front, Syrian rebels attack government forces near Aleppo, gain ground". Reuters. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Syria war: 'Islamic State' loses al-Qaryatain to government forces". BBC. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Syrian troops drive Islamic State out of another town". USA Today. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Syrian troops take Islamic State-controlled town of Qaryatain". The Irish Times. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- "Syrian forces seize Islamic State-held town near Palmyra". Reuters. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Turkish Court Jails Fighter Wanted By Russia For Killing Pilot
- "Syria army jet downed, pilot captured in Aleppo". Al Jazeera. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- The man who ate the heart of a regime forces’ soldier “Abu Saqqar” is killed.
- 200 killed in fighting near Syria's Aleppo this week: monitor | Business Standard News