From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Born||October 8, 1970|
|Occupation||Politician and a leading figure of the Syrian opposition|
|Known for||Leading secular female figure|
Randa Kassis (Arabic: رندة قسيس) is a Franco-Syrian politician and a leading secular figure of the Syrian opposition. She is the President of The Astana Platform of the Syrian opposition and the founder of the Movement of the Pluralistic Society.
She was a member of the Syrian National Council until August 2012. Randa Kassis is the former president of the Coalition of Secular and Democratic Syrians and member of the Syrian National Council. The Coalition of Secular and Democratic Syrians, the nucleus of a secular and democratic Syrian opposition, was created by the union of a dozen Muslim, Christian, Arab and Kurdish parties, who called upon minorities in Syria to support the fight against the government of Bashar al-Assad.
Kassis is also an anthropologist and journalist. She has also published a book called "Crypts of The Gods", which is a book on religions, their origins, and their ways of functioning. Since the beginning of the Syrian Civil War on March 15, 2011, she has become a leading commentator on the Syrian Conflict and the wider complexities of the Arab Spring and the future of the Middle East region.
Randa Kassis initiated the Astana platform in 2015 after her request to the President of Kazakhstan  to form a platform that could assemble moderate Syrian opponents.  The first round of the Astana platform was moderated by Kazakh Ambassador Baghdad Amreyev and the opening session was chaired by the Kazakh Minister of Foreign Affairs Erland Idrissov.  The second round was moderated by Fabien Baussart, President of the Center of Political and Foreign Affairs (CPFA).
Randa Kassis participated in the 2016 Geneva Peace Talks under the banner of the Moscow/Astana groups. She is Co-President with Qadri Jamil of the Syrian secular and democratic opposition delegation. She is criticized by other opposition members for her advocacy to a political transition in cooperation with Bashar al-Assad’s regime and her support of the Russian intervention in the civil war.
On 13 January 2018 Randa Kassis, along with other members of the Astana platform, participated in the Syrian National Congress as President of the Astana platform. Kassis emphasized the importance of creating a constitutional committee in order to facilitate the peace process in Syria, which the UN and Astana troika – Russian, Iran and Turkey – later agreed to create.
- Le Chaos Syrien, printemps arabes et minorités face à l'islamisme, Randa Kassis and Alexandre del Valle, Editions Dhow, 2014 (FR)
- Comprendre le chaos syrien, des révolutions arabes au jihad mondial, L'Artilleur, coll. Toucan essais, 2016 (FR)
- La Syrie et le Retour de la Russie, Editions des Syrtes, 2018 (FR)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Randa Kassis.|
- "Read Dahlan Continues To Intervene In Syrian Issue Online". Scribd. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Randa Kassis, Geneva Peace Talks 2014".
- John Irish (September 16, 2011) "France hails Syria council, develops contacts", Reuters.
- "Entretien avec Randa Kassis, opposante et intellectuelle syrienne porte-parole de la Coalition des Forces Laïques et membre du Conseil National Syrien", France Soir, 11 November 2011.
- "Les partis d'opposition laïcs syriens unissent leurs forces à Paris", Agence France-Presse, 18 September 2011.
- C dans l'air, France 5, 16 April 2012. Archived May 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Speakers". Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Putz, Catherine (29 May 2015). "Why Was Syria's Opposition in Kazakhstan?". The diplomat.
- "L'opposition syrienne suggère de tenir des consultations à Astana pour résoudre la crise en Syrie" (PDF).
- May 2015, Malika Orazgaliyeva in International on 29 (2015-05-29). "Syrian Opposition Meeting in Astana Makes Tentative Headway in Finding Way Forward for Peace Process". The Astana Times. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- October 2015, Malika Orazgaliyeva in International on 6 (2015-10-06). "Representatives of Syrian Opposition Meet in Astana". The Astana Times. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- "Moscow-Astana Group - Media Stakeout (Geneva, 23 March 2016)".
- "United States to press Russia on Syria's Assad". Reuters. 23 March 2016.
- Borger, Julian; Jalabi, Raya (23 November 2016). "US Syria policy: signs of shift as Trump son meets pro-Russia Damascus figure". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "Russia's Syrian peace conference teeters on farce". the Guardian. January 30, 2018.
- Болдырев, Олег (2018-01-31). "Сирийский конгресс в Сочи: диалог без ясных результатов". BBC News Русская Служба.
- "Сирийская оппозиция предлагает проект унитарного государства из 14 регионов". 2017-12-05.
- ""Имеют консолидированную позицию": какие вопросы обсудят лидеры России, Турции и Ирана на саммите по Сирии".
- "Speakers | Secular Conference London 2014". www.secularconference.com. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Kassis, Randa (2013). Crypts of the gods. London: E-Kutub. p. 224. ISBN 978-1492880608.
- "Articles en rapport avec : Le chaos syrien". Atlantico.fr. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Kassis, Randa (2014). Le chaos Syrien. Paris: Editions Dhow. p. 320. ISBN 979-1093501031.
- Kassis, Randa (June 8, 2016). COMPRENDRE LE CHAOS SYRIEN DES RÉVOLUTIONS ARABES AU JIHAD MONDIAL (TOUC.ESSAIS ed.). France: L'artilleur. p. 438. ISBN 9782810007318.
- Randa., Kassis (2018). La Syrie et le retour de la Russie. Genève. ISBN 978-2940523634. OCLC 1027055736.