Battle of Qamishli (2021)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Battle of Qamishli (2021)|
|Part of the Rojava conflict and the Syrian civil war|
Syrian Government control
Areas captured by Asayish during the battle
|Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Casualties and losses|
|2 killed, 6 wounded|| 6 killed, 7 wounded|
1 killed, 1 wounded
|2–3 civilians killed, 9 wounded|
The 2021 Battle of Qamishli was a battle between security forces of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (AANES) and forces loyal to the Syrian Arab Republic in the northeastern Syrian city of Qamishli. The clashes began on 20 April 2021, after Asayish targeted a vehicle carrying NDF militia fighters. The clashes were conducted with medium and light weapons as well as RPGs.
The Asayish captured Tayy and Halako neighborhoods during the battle, and captured most NDF checkpoints. Following this, a deal between the AANES and the SAA was agreed upon, allowing for the NDF to completely leave Qamishli and for regular Syrian Army soldiers to fulfill the role of the NDF. The battle led to the Asayish controlling almost all of Qamishli city.
On the night of 20 April, according to ISWNews, a vehicle carrying NDF fighters was assaulted at an Asayish checkpoint in Qamishli. In contrast, the Rojava Information Center reported that the NDF opened fire on the checkpoint, at al-Wahda roundabout in southern Qamishli, after being stopped. During the confrontation, the NDF fighters shot and killed an Asayish commander.
As clashes escalated, reinforcements and heavy vehicles from Asayish forces took control of two checkpoints in the government-controlled al-Tayy neighborhood. Russian soldiers unsuccessfully attempted to mediate between the two sides. That morning clashes continued and Asayish forces continued to advance while civilians evacuated the neighborhood. Asayish forces reportedly captured an NDF headquarters and several more positions before fighting ended that night.
A Russian-mediated ceasefire finally came into effect that night, with both sides agreeing to halt fighting, while the Asayish remained in control of positions captured during the fighting. 1 Asayish and 5 NDF fighters were reportedly killed.
On 22 April, a pro-Asayish source claimed that NDF snipers fired at a group of young people near the al-Wahda roundabout, killing a child and injuring two other people. Further NDF breaches of the ceasefire lead to a resumption of the battle between the two sides. Asayish forces made further gains in al-Tayy. However, the NDF counterattacked and took parts of Halkou and Al-Zohoor neighborhoods, including a Asayish headquarters.
That evening, Russian forces gathered notables from Qamishli in an attempt to end the fighting. However, a tribal figure close to the SDF was assassinated during the night reportedly by the NDF, leading to another breakdown of the ceasefire.
In the early hours of 23 April, Asayish forces advanced in the Halkou neighborhood towards the National Hospital, recapturing two areas near the cemetery. Concurrently, fighting continued in al-Tayy where the Asayish seized a security building and advanced some 100 meters, but most of the neighborhood remained under NDF control. However, later in the day, the Asayish fully captured the al-Tayy and Halkou neighborhoods.
Under Russian mediation, the Asayish and NDF reached an armistice deal in effect until 12:00 the next day. However, fighting briefly broke out after NDF units violated the ceasefire, targeting Asayish positions at the Halkou front line with RPGs. Jaysh al-Thurwar, a Free Syrian Army coalition that is closely allied to the YPG, arrived in the city to reenforce Asayish. Meanwhile, the government security unit that was stationed in the al-Tayy neighborhood returned to its station, while a Russian military delegation toured Halkou and al-Tayy along with the Asayish and SDF.
- Battle of Qamishli (2016)
- Battle of al-Hasakah (2016)
- Wusta clashes (2016)
- Qamishli clashes (2018)
- Siege of Qamishli and Al-Hasakah
- Rojava–Syria relations
- "As residents of Tay neighbourhood start to return to their homes | New meeting at al-Qamishli airport to complete terms of the agreement". SOHR. 26 April 2021. Retrieved 26 April 2021.
- "After expelling NDF members | Asayish Forces capture the entire neighbourhoods of Tayy and Halkou in al-Qamishli city in four days". SOHR. 23 April 2021. Retrieved 23 April 2021.
- "Al-Qamishly dramatic conflict | Over 30 people killed and wounded since the beginning of fierce clashes between Asayish Forces and NDF". SOHR. 24 April 2021. Retrieved 24 April 2021.
- At least two children killed in Qamishli clashes: medical source
- "Tensions in Qamishli; Russian mediation to resolve the dispute between the YPG and the NDF". IWN. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- @rojavaic (20 April 2021). "An Asayish soldier was killed at al-Wahda roundabout in southern Qamishlo when a detachment of SAR-affiliated Difa al-Watani opened fire on his checkpoint" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Syrian Kurds, pro-regime NDF militia clash in Qamishlo". www.kurdistan24.net. Retrieved 2021-04-21.
- "ANHA monitors latest developments within Al Tayy neighborhood - ANHA | HAWARNEWS | English". hawarnews.com. Retrieved 2021-04-21.
- "Syrian government's NDF creates sectarian strife among communities: tribal notable". North press agency. 2021-04-21. Retrieved 2021-04-21.
- "Ending clashes in Syria's Qamishli under Russian auspices". North press agency. 2021-04-22. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- "Russians Intervene to End Deadly Clash Between Kurdish Asayish and Syrian National Defense Forces". The Syrian Observer. 2021-04-22. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- "فقدان طفل لحياته وإصابة مدنيين برصاص مسلحي الدفاع الوطني في القامشلي". North press agency | وكالة نورث برس (in Arabic). 2021-04-22. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- "تزامنًا مع تجدد المواجهات في القامشلي.. "الأسايش" تسيطر على مواقع وتطرد عناصر "الدفاع الوطني"". المرصد السوري لحقوق الإنسان (in Arabic). 2021-04-22. Retrieved 2021-04-22.
- admin (2021-04-23). "What is behind the Qamishli clashes: an attempt to disrupt the elections?". Saudi 24 News. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "بالفيديو والصور: أسايش الإدارة الذاتية تمشط حيي "حلكو والطي" بمدينة قامشلو وتسيطر على مراكز مصادر النيران". خبر24 ـ xeber24 (in Arabic). Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- Al-Qamishli | Asayish Forces capture the entire neighbourhood of Halkou and advance into Tayy neighbourhoods, amid fierce battles with NDF
- "Clashes continue in Al Tayy neighborhood; Security Forces respond to attacks - ANHA | HAWARNEWS | English". www.hawarnews.com. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "هدنة في القامشلي بين الآسايش والقوّات السوريّة حتى صباح السبت". الحل نت (in Arabic). 2021-04-23. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "قوات "الدفاع الوطني" تخرق الهدنة المؤقتة وتستهدف بقذائف "الآربيجي" نقاط لـ "الأسايش" في القامشلي". المرصد السوري لحقوق الإنسان (in Arabic). 2021-04-23. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- وحدات المهام الخاصة في جيش الثوار تتحرك باتجاه مدينة الحسكة لردع ميليشيات الدفاع الوطني في القامشلي, retrieved 2021-09-22
- Led by “commander of Russian forces in east of the Euphrates” | Russian military delegation roams with SDF and Asayish the security square, Hilko and al-Tay neighbourhoods in al-Qamishli