July 2016 Qamishli bombings
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|July 2016 Qamishli bombings|
|Part of the Syrian Kurdish-Islamist conflict (2013-present)|
|Location||Qamishli, al-Hasakah Governorate, Syria|
|Date||27 July 2016|
|Deaths||57 (8 Asayish and 44 civilians)|
The July 2016 Qamishli bombings were a twin car bombing in a Rojavan-held district in the city of Qamishli, part of the al-Hasakah Governorate in Syria. The bombings killed more than 44 and more than 171 were wounded. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claimed responsibility. The city of Qamishli has been the site of multiple car bombings since 2015.
On 27 July 2016, a livestock truck carrying explosives and a motorcycle headed toward the western part of the city on the road between an Asayish conscription center and a crowded farmers' market and exploded. The blasts leveled several buildings, destroyed several cars, and sent a mushroom cloud of smoke into the air which were seen by residents of the Turkish city of Nusaybin across the border, and the blast was heard by residents a few miles away. The first explosion caused a gas cylinder and an electric generator to explode.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claimed responsibility for the bombings, saying that they are in retaliation for the recent coalition bombings against their forces in Manbij City. The bombings included a suicide car bomb and a motorcycle bomb. They occurred near the border with Turkey. The targets of the bombing were the local Kurdish police force and a government building. At least 50 people were killed and around 140 injured.
- 2015 Qamishli bombings
- List of terrorist incidents in July 2016
- Timeline of the Syrian Civil War
- May 2016 Jableh and Tartous bombings
- "57 killed by the suicide attack which targeted al-Qamishli yesterday". Syrian Observatory For Human Rights.
- "Islamic State car bombs kill dozens in Syrian-Kurdish Qamishli". Middle East Eye. 27 July 2016.
- "Syria: Deadly IS blast rocks Kurdish city of Qamishli". BBC. 27 July 2016.
- "Fears of 'retaliation for Kurdish advances' as 2 car bombs tear through Qamishli". Syria:direct. 27 July 2016.
- "At least 44 killed, dozens injured as twin bombing targets Syria's Qamishli near Turkish border". Daily Sabah. 27 July 2016.
- Hamdi Alkhshali and Schams Elwazer. "Suicide bombing kills dozens in Syria". CNN. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Syria's war: Scores killed in ISIL attack in Qamishli". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 28 July 2016.