2015 Qamishli bombingsWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|2015 Qamishli bombings|
|Location||Qamishli, Al-Hasakah Governorate, Syria|
|Date||30 December 2015|
|Target||Assyrian Christians and Armenian Christians|
|Backpack bombs or suicide bombings Syriac aramean people|
No. of participants
The 2015 Qamishli bombings refer to three bombs, that detonated in three restaurants in Wusta, an Assyrian district of the Syrian-Turkish border town of Qamishli on 30 December 2015. The first reports stated, that it were suicide bombings, however the military spokesman of the Assyrian, Sootoro, in Qamishli, said, that the attacks were not suicide bombs. A Kurdish militia spokesman said, that the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant was responsible for the blasts and that the bombings were targeting Christians, but Assyrian organisations claimed that the bombings were not likely a deed by ISIL, but possibly a crime by the Kurdish YPG. A total of 16 people were killed, 14 of the victims were Assyrian Christians and 2 Muslims, also 35 people were wounded.
|Wusta clashes (2016)|
|Part of the Syrian Civil War|
|Sootoro (GPF)|| YPG|
|~ 500 fighters||30 vehicles, hundreds of fighters|
|Casualties and losses|
|1 killed, 2 wounded||3 killed|
In the aftermath of the 2015 Qamishli bombings that targeted Assyrian Christian restaurants, the Assyrian Sootoro defense militia set up security checkpoints around the perimeter of the al-Wusta neighborhood, a predominantly Christian district of Qamishli.
On 12 January, at around 12:45, a group of Kurdish YPG fighters approached a GPF manned checkpoint and demanded that the militia take down the security barriers, stating that the checkpoints bothered residents and must be removed. When this was refused, a YPG gunner opened fire from a 30. or 50. caliber machine gun mounted on a technical vehicle. A GPF fighter was struck in the head and killed instantly. In the aftermath, fighting and exchanges of gun fire continued for over an hour between both sides and ended only when the YPG asked a Syrian government representative to mediate a ceasefire. During the clashes, 3 YPG fighters were killed, 2 GPF were wounded, and 3 civilians were injured in the cross-fire.
- "Dozens killed, wounded in multiple suicide bombings in Kurdish-controlled Syrian city/". rt.com. Russia Today. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "Bombing in Zaline (Qamishli), Syria". americanmesopotamian.org. American Mesopotamian Organisation. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- "Var Qamishli-massakern verkligen ett verk av IS?". hujada.com. Hujådå Magazine. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- "LiveLeak.com - Assyrians in Sweden Demonstrate Against Kurdish terror groups PYD-YPG Aggression in Syria". Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Kurds attack Assyrian Christian village in northern Syria". Hot Air. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- Agencies. "Assyrians and Kurds clash for first time in north Syria". www.mwcnews.net. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Assyrians and Kurds clash for first time in north Syria". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2016-01-25.