Fall of Nofaliya (2015)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
On 8 February 2015, a convoy of 40 heavily armed 4WD vehicles drove 140 km from Sirte, where ISIL has a significant presence, into the town of Nofaliya. Some vehicles displayed the flag of ISIL, and the convoy reportedly included many foreign fighters. Upon their arrival, the fighters ordered Nofaliya's residents to "repent" and pledge allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. The fighters appointed Ali Al-Qarqaa as emir of the town.
A day after Nofaliya was taken over, ISIL reinforced the entrances into the town to prevent sunrise attacks. A video of the takeover was also posted on the social media.
According to Libya Herald, with Nofaliya under its control, ISIL would be able to control the Libyan Coastal Highway. As 16 February 2015, ISIL also controls the city of Derna, Sirte, and has a presence in Tripoli and Sabratha.
However, after GNC retook Nofaliya, they withdrew from Nofaliya and bin Jawad on 20 March because of ISIL's offensive. They withdrew from there after only two days. ISIL is setting up checkpoints after they retook the city from GNC on 28 March. On 30 March, Al-Monitor reported that Nofaliya, Sirte, and Derna were still under the control of ISIL.
Nofaliya was captured by pro-government forces on 31 May 2016.
- List of wars and battles involving ISIL
- Fall of Mosul
- Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant occupation of Derna
- February 2015 Egyptian airstrikes in Libya
- Battle of Sirte (2015)
- "Islamic State Sprouting Limbs Beyond Its Base". The New York Times. 14 February 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Islamic State's takeover of Nawfaliya highlights increasing risks to oil fields and personnel in Libya's Sirte Basin". janes.com. 9 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Waleed, Farah (9 February 2015). "IS claim to take over Libyan town near Ben Jawad". Libya Herald. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Fsadni, Ranier (12 February 2015). "Escalation in Libya". Times of Malta. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "IS said to have taken another Libyan town". Times of Malta. 10 February 2015. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- "#Libya ISIS claim to take over Nawfaliya town near Ben Jawad … Force includes foreign fighters". Twitter. 9 February 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Pro-Tripoli forces retake Nawfaliya from ISIS, Al Jazeera". ANSAmed. 19 March 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "Libyan army advances towards Tripoli". KUNA. 20 March 2015. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Tripoli forces withdraw from battle for Libyan oil ports". Middle East Eye. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "Will IS benefit from Operation Decisive Storm? - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East". Al-Monitor. Retrieved 9 October 2015.