The Letter for the King (TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|The Letter for the King|
|Based on||De brief voor de Koning|
by Tonke Dragt
|Written by||Will Davies|
|Country of origin|| United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
The Letter for the King is a coming-of-age adventure television series developed by Will Davies and FilmWave for Netflix inspired by the classic 1962 Dutch novel De brief voor de Koning by Tonke Dragt. The six-episode series was released on Netflix on March 20, 2020.
A young aspiring knight Tiuri (Amir Wilson) finds himself on a perilous mission to deliver a secret letter to the King who lives across the Great Mountains.
- Amir Wilson as Tiuri
- Ruby Ashbourne Serkis as Lavinia
- Thaddea Graham as Iona
- Islam Bouakkaz as Arman
- Jonah Lees as Jussipo
- Jack Barton as Foldo
- Nathanael Saleh as Piak
- Gijs Blom as Prince Viridian
- Emilie Cocquerel as Queen Alianor
- Peter Ferdinando as Jaro
Recurring and supporting
- Kemi-Bo Jacobs as Darya
- David Wenham as Sir Tiuri the Valiant
- Omid Djalili as Sir Fantumar
- Ken Nwosu as Ristridin
- Yorick van Wageningen as King Favian
- Jakob Oftebro as Prince Iridian
- Tawfeek Barhom as Jabroot
- Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson as Bors
- Ben Chaplin as The Black Knight
- Fionn O'Shea as Tristan
- Andy Serkis as Mayor of Mistrinaut
- Kim Bodnia as Abbot
- David Wilmot as Slupor
- Lisa Loven Kongsli as Shona
- Peter McCauley as General
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||"Storm Clouds Gather"||Felix Thompson||Will Davies||March 20, 2020|
|2||"Isn't She a Sweetheart?"||Alex Holmes||Will Davies||March 20, 2020|
|With the Red Riders and Novices hot on his trail, Tiuri makes his way to Mistrinaut, where the mayor’s daughter takes a keen interest in his mission.|
|3||"At the End of the World"||Felix Thompson||Rose Heiney||March 20, 2020|
|The Red Riders drive their captives high into the snowy mountains. Caught in a storm, Tiuri and Lavinia take shelter inside an ominous monastery.|
|4||"Danger Knights"||Alex Holmes||Harry Cripps||March 20, 2020|
|On a ship headed toward Unauwen, Tiuri and Lavinia meet a mysterious passenger who seems to know the secret of Tiuri's past — and his destiny.|
|5||"Spiral"||Charles Martin||Joy C. Mitchell||March 20, 2020|
|Ardanwen guides the group to an eerily empty town. Lavinia helps Tiuri practice controlling his powers. A startling discovery divides the Novices.|
|6||"When the Blood Moon Rises"||Felix Thompson||Will Davies||March 20, 2020|
|As the Blood Moon nears and Viridian prepares for his homecoming, Tiuri and friends wrestle with doubt, betrayal and a daunting final test.|
In July 2018, it was announced Netflix had ordered an original series based on Tonke Dragt's De brief voor de Koning with Will Davies as showrunner and executive producer. This is the first Netflix adaptation of a Dutch book, although it will be adapted in English; the series is titled after the English translation, which was published in 2014. FilmWave acquired the international rights in a deal with Leopold. Paul Trijbits of FilmWave is executive producing, Chris Clark is producing, and Alex Holmes and Felix Thompson are directing.
Brandon Campbell composed the music for the series. "It’s an orchestral, adventure score, but we wove in a lot of Western elements. There are acoustic guitars, some vocals, the fiddle, and trumpet. Our approach to this project, and our vision as it came together, was a Western that takes place in the middle of this magical adventure," he told Awards Daily.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the series has an approval rating of 60% based on reviews from 20 critics, with an average rating of 6.69/10. The website's critical consensus reads: "The Letter for the King aspires for greatness, but poor pacing stretched across too many episodes hinder what could be an epic journey." On Metacritic, the series has a score of 55 out of 100 based on reviews from 6 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
Jack Seale of The Guardian awarding the series 3 out of 5 stars and wrote: "But while The Letter for the King doesn’t feel like an adults’ show that kids can get away with watching, it’s also not a kids’ show that’s fun enough for adults to enjoy, with its bowdlerised fights and romance." David Opie of Digital Spy gave it 2 out of 5 stars and wrote: "Unfortunately, The Letter For The King is not the new fantasy smash we were hoping for, so you can toss out any high expectations you might have like a coin to your Witcher. In fact, it's not even that great for fans of the book either.".
The Letter for the King was frequently dubbed as a Game of Thrones for children. Patrick Cremona of Radio Times gave it 2 out of 5 stars and wrote: "The show is watchable enough, and might serve as a useful way into medieval fantasy for younger audiences who aren’t yet ready for the more adult-orientated series that have recently dominated the genre, which is by no means a bad thing. It seems unlikely, however, that this is the next big fantasy series that Netflix might have hoped for. The hunt for the next Game of Thrones goes on…".
Although the series topped the Netflix ratings in the Netherlands, it also received very mixed critical reviews, mostly directed towards the execution of the series based on the book by Dragt. Mark Moorman of De Volkskrant awarded the show 3 out of 5 stars and commented: "With nice young actors, beautiful cinematography and a strong queeste, The Letter for the King is a reasonable success. But it does feel a bit like Netflix has crushed our favourite children's book with a steam driver." Belinda van de Graaf of Trouw also awarded the series 3 out of 5 stars and wrote: "In their dedication to inclusivity, the creators even went further. Tiuri's most important companion is no long a boy (Piak) but a girl, Lavinia. And somewhere at the end, there is an intimate kiss between two trainees. Sweet, that kiss between two guys, but that scene is a bit unearned. The same counts for all the hocus pocus that the creators added. It is understandable that Tonke Dragt rather wants to talk of series that was inspired by her book than an adaption of her work."
- ParryBillings, Hannah (February 19, 2020). "The Letter for the King on Netflix: When is it released, and what is it about?". Radio Times. Retrieved February 25, 2020.
- "The Letter for the King – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved February 25, 2020.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (12 July 2018). "Netflix Preps 'The Letter For The King' Adaptation Of Classic Dutch Novel". Deadline. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (12 December 2018). "Netflix Sets Cast For 'The Letter For The King' Series Based On Classic Dutch Novel". Deadline. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- "Dutch children's classic 'The Letter for the King' is a new Netflix series". Dutch News. 29 January 2020. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Larki, Shadan (23 March 2020). "Brandon Campbell on Creating Thrilling Scores For 'Amazing Stories,' 'The Letter For The King'". Awards Daily. Retrieved 25 March 2020.
- Gibbs, Adrienne (28 January 2020). "First Look: Netflix's New Series 'The Letter For The King'". Forbes. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Weiss, Josh (29 January 2020). "The Letter for the King teaser reveals Netflix's fantasy reach beyond The Witcher". Syfy. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Romano, Nick (26 February 2020). "The Letter for the King series trailer conjures the next Netflix fantasy epic". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2 March 2020.
- "The Letter for the King: Season 1". Retrieved Jun 21, 2020 – via www.rottentomatoes.com.
- "The Letter for the King". Retrieved Jun 21, 2020 – via www.metacritic.com.
- Seale, Jack (Mar 20, 2020). "The Letter for the King review – Netflix fantasy epic is low on magic". Retrieved Jun 21, 2020 – via www.theguardian.com.
- Opie, David (Mar 20, 2020). "The Letter for the King isn't the 'young Witcher' we were hoping for". Digital Spy. Retrieved Jun 21, 2020.
- "The Letter for the King review: Forgettable fantasy series never quite takes off". Radio Times. Retrieved Jun 21, 2020.
- "Letter for the King: al tijden op 1 bij Netflix, wat vindt onze recensent?". Algemeen Dagblad (in Dutch). 2020-03-30. Retrieved 2021-01-03.
- Moorman, Mark (Mar 19, 2020). "Meer Netflix dan Tonke Dragt: Letter for the King is vlotte serie vol zwaargepimpte fantasy-elementen★★★☆☆". de Volkskrant. Retrieved Jun 21, 2020.
- Graaf, Belinda van de (Mar 19, 2020). "In Netflix' 'The Letter for the King' is Tiuri niet meer blond". Trouw. Retrieved Jun 21, 2020.