The Letter for the King (TV series)Wikipedia open wikipedia design.
|The Letter for the King|
|Based on||De brief voor de Koning|
by Tonke Dragt
|Written by||Will Davies|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6 (list of episodes)|
The Letter for the King is a coming-of-age adventure television series developed by Will Davies and FilmWave for Netflix inspired by the classic Dutch novel De brief voor de Koning by Tonke Dragt. The six-episode series was released on Netflix on March 20, 2020.
A young aspiring knight Tiuri (Amir Wilson) finds himself on a perilous mission to deliver a secret letter to the King who lives across the Great Mountains.
- Amir Wilson as Tiuri
- Ruby Ashbourne Serkis as Lavinia
- Thaddea Graham as Iona
- Islam Bouakkaz as Arman
- Jonah Lees as Jussipo
- Jack Barton as Foldo
- Nathanael Saleh as Piak
- Gijs Blom as Prince Viridian
- Emilie Cocquerel as Queen Alianor
- Peter Ferdinando as Jaro
Recurring and supporting
- Kemi-Bo Jacobs as Darya
- David Wenham as Sir Tiuri the Valiant
- Omid Djalili as Sir Fantumar
- Ken Nwosu as Ristridin
- Yorick van Wageningen as King Favian
- Jakob Oftebro as Prince Iridian
- Tawfeek Barhom as Jabroot
- Jóhannes Haukur Jóhannesson as Bors
- Ben Chaplin as The Black Knight
- Fionn O'Shea as Tristan
- Andy Serkis as Mayor of Mistrinaut
- Kim Bodnia as Abbot
- David Wilmot as Slupor
- Lisa Loven Kongsli as Shona
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||"Storm Clouds Gather"||Felix Thompson||Will Davies||March 20, 2020|
|Tiuri is a young squire in the Kingdom of Dagonaut. While he gets on with his mother, his noble father despises his lack of fighting prowess. Despite his lack of promise, Tiuri is admitted to the trials for novice knights alongside Ioana, Arman and Folno. The trials involve spending a night of silent contemplation inside the tomb of the Knights of Dagonaut. However, their vigil is interrupted by a stranger who tells him to deliver a sealed letter to King Unauwen, who lives over the mountains. Tiuri is pursued by the antagonistic Prince Viridian and his Red Knights, who want to wage war on the neighboring kingdom.|
|2||"Isn't She a Sweetheart?"||Alex Holmes||Will Davies||March 20, 2020|
|3||"At the End of the World"||Felix Thompson||Rose Heiney||March 20, 2020|
|4||"Danger Knights"||Alex Holmes||Harry Cripps||March 20, 2020|
|5||"Spiral"||Charles Martin||Joy C. Mitchell||March 20, 2020|
|6||"When the Blood Moon Rises"||Felix Thompson||Will Davies||March 20, 2020|
In July 2018, it was announced Netflix had ordered an original series based on Tonke Dragt's De brief voor de Koning with Will Davies as showrunner and executive producer. This is the first Netflix adaptation of a Dutch book, although it will be adapted in English; the series is titled after the English translation, which was published in 2014. FilmWave acquired the international rights in a deal with Leopold. Paul Trijbits of FilmWave is executive producing, Chris Clark is producing, and Alex Holmes and Felix Thompson are directing.
Brandon Campbell composed the music for the series. "It’s an orchestral, adventure score, but we wove in a lot of Western elements. There are acoustic guitars, some vocals, the fiddle, and trumpet. Our approach to this project, and our vision as it came together, was a Western that takes place in the middle of this magical adventure," he told Awards Daily.
- ParryBillings, Hannah (February 19, 2020). "The Letter for the King on Netflix: When is it released, and what is it about?". Radio Times. Retrieved February 25, 2020.
- "The Letter for the King – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved February 25, 2020.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (12 July 2018). "Netflix Preps 'The Letter For The King' Adaptation Of Classic Dutch Novel". Deadline. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (12 December 2018). "Netflix Sets Cast For 'The Letter For The King' Series Based On Classic Dutch Novel". Deadline. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- "Dutch children's classic 'The Letter for the King' is a new Netflix series". Dutch News. 29 January 2020. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Larki, Shadan (23 March 2020). "Brandon Campbell on Creating Thrilling Scores For 'Amazing Stories,' 'The Letter For The King'". Awards Daily. Retrieved 25 March 2020.
- Gibbs, Adrienne (28 January 2020). "First Look: Netflix's New Series 'The Letter For The King'". Forbes. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Weiss, Josh (29 January 2020). "The Letter for the King teaser reveals Netflix's fantasy reach beyond The Witcher". Syfy. Retrieved 24 February 2020.
- Romano, Nick (26 February 2020). "The Letter for the King series trailer conjures the next Netflix fantasy epic". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2 March 2020.