Barbarians (2020 TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Promotional release poster
|Country of origin||Germany|
|Original languages||German, Latin|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||6|
|Running time||41–51 minutes|
|Original release||October 23, 2020|
Barbarians (original title: Barbaren) is a 2020 German historical war drama television series created by Andreas Heckmann, Arne Nolting and Jan Martin Scharf and starring Laurence Rupp, Jeanne Goursaud and David Schütter. The series is a fictional account of events during the Roman Empire's occupation of Germania, and the resulting rebellion of the Germanic tribes led by Arminius. The series was renewed for season 2 on November 10, 2020.
The story takes place during the Roman occupation of Magna Germania in 9 AD, where the Germanic tribes are oppressed by the empire's heavy taxes and demands for tribute. Attempts to form a unified Germanic resistance are hampered by petty in-fighting between the tribal chieftains, and the selfish aspirations of certain tribesmen desiring peace with Rome.
Arminius, an eques in the Roman Imperial army, is a Cherusci who was given away as a hostage to Rome when he was a child, along with his younger brother Flavus, by his father Segimer to ensure peace between his tribe and Rome. He returns to Germania to help Publius Quinctilius Varus maintain order in the region. Upon seeing the atrocities inflicted by Roman soldiers on his former people, he becomes the new chieftain of the Cherusci tribe, and ignites a rebellion by finally uniting the tribes with the help of Thusnelda and Folkwin Wolfspeer, his two best friends during childhood. These events eventually culminate in a massive ambush of three Roman legions at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, where the Germanic people emerge victorious.
- Laurence Rupp as Arminius
- Jeanne Goursaud as Thusnelda
- David Schütter as Folkwin Wolfspeer
- Gaetano Aronica as Varus
- Bernhard Schütz as Segestes
- Nicki von Tempelhoff as Segimer
- Ronald Zehrfeld as Berulf
- Eva Verena Müller as Irmina
- Nikolai Kinski as Pelagios
- Urs Rechn as Kunolf the Brukteer
- Mathis Landwehr as Eigil
- Jeremy Miliker as Ansgar
- Sergej Onopko as Hadgan
- Matthias Weidenhöfer as Golmad
- Florian Schmidtke as Talio
- Denis Schmidt as Rurik
- Sophie Rois as Seeress Runa
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Wolf and Eagle"||Barbara Eder||Jan Martin Scharf, Arne Nolting, Andreas Heckmann||October 23, 2020|
|Cherusci tribal chief Segimer bristles at the increasing demands of new governor Varus. Secret lovers Thusnelda and Folkwin deal Rome a symbolic blow.|
|2||"Vengeance"||Barbara Eder||Jan Martin Scharf, Arne Nolting, Andreas Heckmann||October 23, 2020|
|The theft of the standard provokes a crisis, reuniting Roman officer Arminius with his father Segimer, and childhood friends Folkwin and Thusnelda.|
|3||"On the Edge"||Barbara Eder||Jan Martin Scharf, Arne Nolting, Andreas Heckmann||October 23, 2020|
|Arminius commands troops ordered by Varus to hunt down and kill Folkwin, whose family and home village are put in danger for his act of defiance.|
|4||"A New Reik"||Barbara Eder||Jan Martin Scharf, Arne Nolting, Andreas Heckmann||October 23, 2020|
|Arminius embraces his new role with the Cherusci but his shift of allegiances runs deeper than Varus knows. Thusnelda and Folkwin rally a rival tribe.|
|5||"Treason"||Stephen St. Leger||Jan Martin Scharf, Arne Nolting, Andreas Heckmann||October 23, 2020|
|Arminius and Thusnelda forge a political marriage and begin uniting the fractious Germanic tribes. Folkwin is believed dead but has actually been enslaved.|
|6||"The Battle"||Stephen St. Leger||Jan Martin Scharf, Arne Nolting, Andreas Heckmann||October 23, 2020|
|Arminius leads Varus and three Roman legions into the Teutoburg Forest — and into history. Thusnelda makes a bloody sacrifice to preserve the alliance.|
Barbarians was released on October 23, 2020 on Netflix.
Academic response was mostly positive, although the plot's historical deviations were criticized. 
- "Stream It Or Skip It: 'Barbarians' on Netflix, a German Quasi-Historical Action-Drama Series in Which People Kill and Have Sex With Each Other". Decider. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "Barbarians review – a binge-worthy historical drama". Ready Steady Cut. Retrieved October 23, 2020.
- "'Barbarians' Season 2: Renewed at Netflix, Release Date & What to Expect". What's on Netflix. November 10, 2020.
- "Barbarians Netflix release date, cast, trailer, plot: When will Barbarians be released?". Daily Express. October 23, 2020. Retrieved November 5, 2020.
- "Desmontando a los 'Bárbaros' de Netflix: una 'barbaridad' histórica tremendamente entretenida" (in Spanish). El Confidencial. November 7, 2020. Retrieved November 7, 2020.