Love Is Blind (TV series)Wikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Love Is Blind|
Title card for the series.
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Running time||48–84 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Kinetic Content|
|Original release||February 13, 2020 –|
Love Is Blind is a dating reality television series, produced by Kinetic Content and created by Chris Coelen which premiered on Netflix on February 13, 2020 as part of a three-week event. The series has been compared to Married at First Sight, which was also produced by Kinetic Content, and The Bachelor. There were a total of ten episodes released in addition to a reunion special that was released on Netflix and YouTube on March 5.
The series follows thirty men and women hoping to find love. For ten days in a speed dating format, the men and women date each other in different "pods" where they can talk to each other, but not see each other. Whenever they decided, the men were able to propose to the woman they want to marry. After the proposal, and meeting face-to-face for the first time, the engaged couples headed to a couples retreat in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. During this trip they spent time getting to know their partners, and were able to meet the other couples participating in the experiment.
Following the couples retreat, the engaged couples moved to the same apartment complex back in Atlanta. While at the apartments, they all met their partners' families and explored their partners' living conditions. At the altar on the day of the wedding, the engaged couples carried out wedding ceremonies and needed to make their final decisions at the altar about whether to split up or get married, answering the question "Is love blind?"
|Season||Original Run||Couples||Proposal||Still together||Relationship notes|
|1||February 13, 2020 - March 5, 2020||Lauren Speed & Cameron Hamilton||Yes||Yes||The two got married in November 2018, during the filming of the 1st season of Love is Blind. The couple are still together as of April 2020.|
|Amber Pike & Matthew Barnett||Yes||Yes||The two got married in November 2018, during the filming of the 1st season of Love is Blind. The couple are still together as of April 2020.|
|Gianinna Gibelli & Damian Powers||Yes||Yes||Although the couple got engaged during the show, they spilt on their wedding day. It was revealed at the reunion special that the two were back together. The couple are still together as of April 2020. |
|Jessica Batten & Mark Cuevas||Yes||No||Although the couple got engaged during the show, they split on their wedding day. |
|Kelly Chase & Kenny Barnes||Yes||No||Although, the couple got engaged during the show, the couple split on their wedding day. At the reunion special, it was revealed that Barnes is in a relationship.|
|Diamond Jack & Carlton Morton||Yes||No||Although the couple got engaged on the show, their relationship imploded after a dramatic fight during the couple's trip to Playa del Carmen, Mexico where they fought about Morton's bisexuality, the lack of communciation and Morton's derogoratory comments about Jack. |
|Lauren Speed||32||Content Creator||Detroit, Michigan||Married, November 2018|
|Cameron Hamilton||28||Data Scientist||Lee, Maine||Married, November 2018|
|Amber Pike||27||Ex-Tank Mechanic||Augusta, Georgia||Married, November 2018|
|Matthew Barnett||27||Engineer||Canton, Georgia||Married, November 2018|
|Giannina Gibelli||25||Business Owner||Caracas, Venezuela||In a relationship with Damian|
|Damian Powers||27||General Manager||Heidelberg, Germany||In a relationship with Giannina|
|Jessica Batten||34||Regional Manager||Rock Falls, Illinois||Split at wedding|
|Mark Cuevas||24||Fitness Trainer||Chicago, Illinois||Split at wedding|
|Kelly Chase||33||Certified Holistic Health & Empowerment Coach||Atlanta, Georgia||Split at wedding|
|Kenny Barnes||27||Sales||California||Split at wedding|
|Diamond Jack||28||Former NBA Dancer||Atlanta, Georgia||Split before the wedding|
|Carlton Morton||34||Social Media Marketer||Louisiana||Split before the wedding|
|Danielle Drouin||27||Yoga Instructor||Atlanta, Georgia||Split before the wedding[a]|
|Rory Newbrough||28||Senior Consultant & Content Creator||Alpharetta, Georgia||Split before the wedding[a]|
|Lexie Skipper||26||Sales Manager||Georgia||Split before the wedding[a]|
|Westley Baer||27||Sales Manager & Life Coach||Georgia||Split before the wedding[a]|
|Lauren "LC" Chamblin||26||Recruiter/Account Executive||Atlanta, Georgia||Not engaged|
|Matt Thomas||28||Director of Brawl for a Cause||N/A||Not engaged|
|Taylor Lupton||31||Creative Director||N/A||Not engaged|
|Ryan Martin||29||Automotive Sales||N/A||Not engaged|
|Alyson Costa||36||Pediatric Nurse-Client Relations Director||N/A||Not engaged|
|Andy Rickert||30||Welder||N/A||Not engaged|
|Briana Holmes||24||CEO of Nonprofit/Web Designer||N/A||Not engaged|
|Kenneth Smith||36||Master Barber/Shop Owner||N/A||Not engaged|
|Ebony Alexis||30||Journalist||N/A||Not engaged|
|Jon Smith||38||CEO, Storm Restoration Service||N/A||Not engaged|
|India Bridgeforth||29||Project Manager||N/A||Not engaged|
|Mikey Cobb||31||Business Analyst||N/A||Not engaged|
|Kay Mitchell||30||Administrative Director||N/A||Not engaged|
|Lillie Williams||36||CEO of PR Agency||N/A||Not engaged|
On January 30, 2020, it was announced that Love Is Blind would be released across three weeks. The first five episodes were released on February 13, with four episodes the following week. The finale was released on February 27, 2020. A reunion episode was released on March 5.
|No.||Title ||Original air date |
|1||"Is Love Blind?"||February 13, 2020|
|2||"Will You Marry Me?"||February 13, 2020|
|3||"First Night Together"||February 13, 2020|
|4||"Couples Retreat"||February 13, 2020|
|5||"Last Night in Paradise"||February 13, 2020|
|6||"Moving in Together"||February 20, 2020|
|7||"Meet the Parents"||February 20, 2020|
|8||"Countdown to I Do's"||February 20, 2020|
|9||"Bachelor & Bachelorette Parties"||February 20, 2020|
|10||"The Weddings"||February 27, 2020|
|11||"Reunion"||March 5, 2020|
Filming took place in Atlanta, Georgia, from October 9, 2018, and lasted 38 days up until the weddings. The couples met face-to-face on October 19. The ten days in the pods were shot at Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayetteville. Then, after the newly engaged couples left the pods, filming took place at the Grand Velas Riviera Maya in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, when all the couples went on a retreat. The relationships that made it through the retreat in Mexico move in together in an apartment complex. After the retreat, the couples headed back to Atlanta to the Spectrum on Spring apartment building, where they spent the rest of the time filming up until the weddings. The weddings took place at two event spaces called Flourish Atlanta and The Estate on November 15.
The trailer for Love Is Blind was released on January 30, 2020. With the trailer, it was announced that the ten-episode series would be released on a three-week schedule: the first five episodes were released on February 13, 2020, the next four on February 20, and the finale on February 27.
A total of eight couples got engaged among the participants. In addition to the six couples shown on the series, couples Westley Baer and Lexie Skipper and Rory Newbrough and Danielle Drouin also got engaged in the show. Newbrough told People, "As we were preparing to go to the Mexico trip, the leads of the show came in and said, 'Hey, we were expecting maybe one or two [engagements]. The shows we've done before, we've never had this much success. We prepared for five. Then we got eight engagements, so we had to pick who we were going to follow.' We got our phones back. They thanked us graciously and said, 'Sorry, we just don’t have enough to cover everybody.'"
After getting engaged in the pods, Baer and Skipper continued to date for three months before breaking up. Newbrough and Drouin took a week-long trip to Miami together after getting engaged. They broke up after returning from the trip and Drouin decided to pursue a relationship with another participant on the show, Matt Thomas. Thomas and Drouin later split as well.
On February 28, the day after the finale aired, Love Is Blind became Netflix's number-one trending program coming just days after Netflix introduced its new trending top ten list on their website on February 24.
Tricia Crimmins of Mashable reviewed the first five episodes of Love Is Blind following their initial release on February 13. Comparing it to The Bachelor, Crimmins called the series "the bizarre reality TV experiment you've been craving". She comments that you never know what the couples will do next, even down to the altar at the wedding, making the series "harmless, entertaining, and satisfying."
Lucy Mangan of The Guardian gave Love Is Blind a rating of 2 out of 5 stars, calling it toxic, revolting, but extremely addictive. She says that Love Is Blind is the final nail in the coffin of humanity; however, in terms of reality television, she states that it is good because it "exploits emotional frailties, profaning the sacred, making the private and precious public and worthless and turning it into voyeuristic ratings-bait." Despite all of this, she recommends the show as a casual reality television binge, similar to The Bachelor.
Kristen Baldwin of Entertainment Weekly called the series "intensely tragic yet riveting." She criticized the series, saying that the first four episodes in the pods feel new and fresh, but once the engaged couples enter the real world, it feels like just another bad dating reality television show. Baldwin also called it depressing, citing the contestants always saying, "If I don't get married now, I never will." Overall, Baldwin gave Love Is Blind a C+ rating.
- Hegedus, Eric (January 30, 2020). "Netflix's 'Love Is Blind' confirms reality TV dating is pure trash". New York Post. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- Kinane, Ruth (February 14, 2020). "Love Is Blind creator on what they didn't show — including even more proposals". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 16, 2020.
- Snierson, Dan (January 30, 2020). "Watch singles get engaged without meeting in person in trailer for Netflix reality series". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- Grebey, James (January 30, 2020). "Netflix's Love Is Blind Is the Dystopian Dating Reality Show We Deserve". GQ. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- Heldman, Breanne (February 26, 2020). "Netflix Announces Love Is Blind Cast Reunion to Reveal Which Couples Have Stayed Together". people.com. People. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Netflix (March 24, 2020). "Moments of Joy from Real Netflix Shows - New season announcements". youtube.com. YouTube. Retrieved March 24, 2020.
- Thorne, Will (March 24, 2020). "Netflix Orders More 'Love Is Blind,' 'The Circle,' 'Rhythm + Flow' and Marie Kondo". variety.com. Variety. Retrieved March 24, 2020.
- Heldman, Breanne (March 2, 2020). "Love is Blind's Lauren Speed and Cameron Hamilton Are Still Married!". People. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- Blanton, Kayla (March 2, 2020). "Love is Blind's Amber and Barnett Are Still Together!". Bustle. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- Shenton, Zoe (March 5, 2020). "Love is Blind's Damian and Giannina Are Back Together". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved March 5, 2020.
- MacKelden, Amy (March 1, 2020). "Are Jessica and Mark from Love is Blind Still Together?". Harper Bazaar. Retrieved March 5, 2020.
- Heldman, Breanne (March 5, 2020). "Love is Blind's Kelly and Kenny Never Planned On Getting Married". People. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- Nicolaou, Elena (February 26, 2020). "Why Love Is Blind's Carlton and Diamond Never Considered Getting Back Together". Oprah. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- Falcone, Dana (February 27, 2020). "Love Is Blind Helped 2 More Couples Get Engaged: Why Netflix Didn't Show Their Stories". people.com. People. Retrieved February 27, 2020.
- Brockington, Ariana (February 20, 2020). "The First Season Of Love Is Blind Was Filmed A Long, Long Time Ago". Refinery29. Retrieved February 22, 2020.
- Patel, Varun (February 12, 2020). "Where is the Love is Blind Set Located?". TheCinemaholic. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- Crimmins, Tricia (February 13, 2020). "'Love Is Blind' is the bizarre reality TV experiment you've been craving". Mashable. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- Koerner, Allyson (February 20, 2020). "Where Was 'Love Is Blind' Filmed? The Pods Weren't Too Far From Home". Bustle. Retrieved February 22, 2020.
- Brockington, Ariana (February 20, 2020). "Love Is Blind Makes The Most Of Its Filming Locations". Refinery29. Retrieved February 22, 2020.
- White, Brett (February 27, 2020). "'Love Is Blind' on Netflix: You Can Get Married at the Same Place as the Couples". decider.com. Decider. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Netflix (January 30, 2020). "Love is Blind - Official Trailer - Netflix". YouTube. Retrieved February 1, 2020.
- Abad-Santos, Alex (February 29, 2020). "Who got married in Love Is Blind's volatile season finale?". vox.com. Vox. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Johnson, Cameron (February 24, 2020). "Now - for the first time - you can see what's popular on Netflix". media.netflix.com. Netflix Media Center. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Mangan, Lucy (February 13, 2020). "Love Is Blind review: toxic, revolting – and totally addictive". theguardian.com. The Guardian. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Baldwin, Kristen (February 10, 2020). "I watched all of Netflix's Love Is Blind and I hate myself: Review". ew.com. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 29, 2020.