Blown Away (TV series)Wikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Presented by||Nick Uhas|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||23 minutes|
|Original release||July 12, 2019|
Blown Away is a Canadian reality glassblowing competition television series that premiered on the streaming platform Netflix. The 10-episode first season was released on July 12, 2019. The series is filmed in Canada and was produced by Marblemedia.
The contestants on the show comprise 10 glassblowers. Nick Uhas, a former Big Brother U.S contestant and science YouTuber, hosts the show, while Katherine Gray, an artist and professor at California State University, San Bernardino is the chief judge. The winner receives a $60,000 prize and an artist residency at the Corning Museum of Glass. The first season was filmed in a facility that was "custom-built to accommodate 10 glass blowers working simultaneously". Industry experts from the Craft and Design Glass Studio at Sheridan College, Pilchuck Glass School, and the Corning Museum of Glass consulted the producers during the construction of the facility and provide advice and evaluation to the contestants each round.
Ages are at time of filming.
|Alexander Rosenberg||36||3rd place|
|Patrick Primeau||44||4th place|
|K. Momoko "Momo" Schafer||24||5th place|
|Leah Kudel||34||6th place|
|Annette Sheppard||37||7th place|
|Edgar Valentine||22||8th place|
|Benjamin Kikkert||45||9th place|
|Kevin Kiff||23||10th place|
|No.||Title||Original air date ||Canada viewers|
|1||"Snapshot"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Christ Taylor from the Pilchuck Glass School|
|2||"Potluck Party"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Marc Lepine from the restaurant Atelier|
|3||"Lighten Up"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Jay Macdonell from the contemporary and design manufacturing company Bocci|
|4||"Clash of the Robots"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Jesse Hirsh|
|5||"Thirsty Work"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Sommelier Emily Pearce-Bibona|
|6||"Pop Art Blowup"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Perry Tung from Bonhams Auction House|
|7||"Dual Intent"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Catherine Osborne, former editor-in-chief of the architecture and design magazine Azure|
|8||"The Glass is Greener"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Janet Morrison, president of Sheridan College|
|9||"Body Parts"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Greta Hodgkinson, principal dancer with the National Ballet of Canada|
|10||"Best in Blow"||July 12, 2019||N/A|
|Guest evaluator: Eric Meek, from the Corning Museum of Glass|
- Artist got through to the next round.
- Artist was eliminated.
- Artist was the Best in Blow.
- Artist was a series runner-up.
- Artist was the series winner.
Blown Away received a positive review from Joel Keller of Decider who compared it to Top Chef and The Great British Bake Off. The Fader praised the series as rising above other competition shows and being educational.
- Fitzmaurice, Larry (July 17, 2019). "Blown Away is like Great British Bake-Off, but with glassblowing". The FADER. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Schuster, Clayton (July 17, 2019). "Where Reality TV and Museums Meet: How Netflix's 'Blown Away' Teamed Up With Corning". Observer. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Kirkl, Justin (July 15, 2019). "'Blown Away' Is Netflix's Must-Watch Glassblowing Competition of the Summer". Esquire. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Logan, Liz (July 12, 2019). "The Spectacle and Drama of Netflix's New Glassblowing Show Will Shatter Your Expectations". Smithsonian. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Luckel, Madeleine (July 19, 2019). "Netflix Is Making a Reality Show About Glassblowers—And We're Already Hooked". Architectural Digest. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Raga, Pippa (July 16, 2019). "The Contestants of Netflix's 'Blown Away' Will... Well, Blow You Away". Distractify.
- Brennan, Matt (July 31, 2019). "Love her or hate her, Deborah Czeresko is the unlikely star of Netflix's 'Blown Away'". Los Angeles Times.
- Talbott, Chris (July 12, 2019). "2 glassblowers, from Seattle and Tacoma, feel the fire on new Netflix competition 'Blown Away'". The Seattle Times.
- SNJ Today Staff (July 12, 2019). "Salem Community College Instructor to Appear on Netflix Reality Show 'Blown Away'". SNJ Today.
- Icasiano, Spencer (July 17, 2019). "In Netflix's 'Blown Away,' Artist K. Momoko Schafer Holds Up Glass In A New Light". WBUR. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Thompson, Kim (July 17, 2019). "Blown Away Contestants Talk About Their Time on the Hot New Netflix Show". Corning Museum of Glass. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Roe, Jon (July 11, 2019). "Alberta glass-blower competes for cash on Netflix show Blown Away | Calgary Herald".
- "Blown Away – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Keller, Joel (July 12, 2019). "Stream It Or Skip It: 'Blown Away' On Netflix, A 'Top Chef'-Style Glass Blowing Competition". Decider. Retrieved July 21, 2019.