2013 attack on U.S. consulate in Herat
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|2013 attack on U.S. consulate in Herat|
|Part of War in Afghanistan (2001–present)|
Location of Herat Province in Afghanistan
|Date||13 September 2013 |
|Truck bombing, mass shooting|
|Weapons||Truck bomb, assault rifles, RPGs|
|Deaths||8 attackers, 8 guards, and 1 Afghan policeman|
The U.S. consulate in Herat, Afghanistan was attacked on September 13, 2013 by a group of Taliban militants. Reports indicated that the assault began at 5:30 am on the front gate of the consulate. A large truck drove up to the consulate's primary vehicle entry point and detonated a massive improvised explosive charge, causing extensive damage. A minivan carrying an assault team armed with assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades arrived and opened fire, moving into the Consulate compound. Then, the driver of the minivan ignited a bomb inside the minivan, which exploded a short time afterwards. Eight Afghan members of the consulate's guard force and one Afghan police officer were killed. An unknown number of bystanders were wounded. A gun battle ensued, and all seven attackers were killed. No Americans were killed or seriously injured. The Department of State awarded Heroism Awards to several of the consulate's defenders.
- "Taliban Militants Attack US Consulate in Afghanistan". Voice of America News. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Taliban Attacks U.S. Consulate in Afghanistan". Wall Street Journal. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Diplomatic Security Year in Review 2013" (PDF).
- Spero, Domani. "US Consulate Herat Casualties: One Afghan Police, Eight Local Guards Killed". Diplopundit. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "U.S. Department of State Awards". United States Department of State. Archived from the original on January 30, 2018. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- "U.S. troops join Afghans to repulse attack on consulate in Herat". McClatchy News. 13 September 2013. Archived from the original on 16 September 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "UN SECURITY COUNCIL PRESS STATEMENT: Taliban attack on US Consulate in Herat" (Press release). The United Nations. September 13, 2013. Retrieved September 14, 2013.