EliveWikipedia Open wikipedia design.
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Elive 2.0 with Enlightenment (software)
|Developer||Samuel F. Baggen (Thanatermesis)|
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||24 January 2005|
|Latest release||2.0 / 10 March 2010|
|Latest preview||2.9.22 / 5 January 2018|
|Marketing target||Personal computers, servers, tablet computers|
|Available in||69 languages|
|Update method||APT (several front-ends available)|
|Platforms||I386, IA-32, x86-64,AMD64 (soon)|
|Kernel type||Monolithic: Linux|
|Default user interface||Enlightenment|
|License|| Free software licenses|
|Official website|| www|
Elive was born in Belgium prior to 2005 as a private experiment by its founder to customize a Knoppix Live CD running the Enlightenment and with the designs based in the Evil Entity distro, it was called Tezcatlipotix, since the result was better than expected the desire to create a public version started.
Since then Elive continued the development with more versions and one year later it decided to start requesting donations for install it in order to support the development.
Elive has access to online repositories of Debian (Wheezy) and uses its own repositories with more than 2500 packages that includes own specific software for Elive, extra software, or packages that replaces the default ones provided by Debian, improving the overall system and integrity. Elive comes with a complete set of included software to fit any needs for example free programs as: LibreOffice, Chromium, Iceweasle, Icedove, VLC media player, GIMP, Inkscape, Blender, Skype, Virtual box, Avidemux,...
Elive has 3D effects without need of an accelerated graphic card.
- Beta version: 500 MHz CPU with 256 MB of RAM
- Stable version: 300 MHz CPU with 128 MB of RAM
- Older versions: 100 MHz CPU with 64 MB of RAM
Installation and Live images
Elive releases live install images for CDs, DVDs for the stable releases and USB thumb drives for beta, for IA-32 architectures. These Live images allow users to boot from removable media and run Elive without affection the contents of their computer.
The installation of Elive in your computer is initiated from the Live environment. This is required to have an optimal configuration of the specific hardware which is due by automated tools that guides the user in the Live mode, then a clean installation can be proceeded with the system correctly configured.
Prior the Elive 2.0 (Topaz), the only way to get Elive installed on the hard disk was through a small donation. Although it still had free alternatives for those who couldn't afford to donate. Elive got the false reputation to be a commercial distro. Elive is developed mainly by only 1 man so to keep it running funds are needed to keep Elive alive.
In 2017 Elive decided to remove this limitation by promising to release the 3.0 version entirely cost-free .
Package management operations can be performed with dpkg on the lowest level command or for administering packages the apt tool set is used.
dpkg provides the low-level infrastructure for package management. The dpkg database contains the list of installed software on the current system. The command can work with local .deb packages files, and information from the dpkg databases, but doesn't use repositories.
An Advanced Packaging Tool (APT) tool allows administering an installed Debian system to retrieve and revolve packages dependencies from repositories. APT tool share dependency information and cached packages.
All the sources codes including the new one are moved to github repositories.
Two branches of Elive (also called releases, distributions or suits) are regularly maintained:
- Stable is the current release and targets stable and well-tested software needs.
- Beta or testing is the preview branch that eventually become the next major release.
Other branches in Elive:
- Old these are old versions available the Elive Museum page. These are CDROM versions and aren't supported anymore but the site of Elive kept them available to download for old computers that requires very light systems.
- Compiz was in the versions of 2009 an experiment with E17 and Compiz. But since 2.9.0 is included by default as a stable option
- Distribution Release: Elive 0.3 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Distribution Release: Elive 2.0 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Elive 2.9.22 beta released - Elive Linux
- Thanatermesis (2006-12-04), tezcatlipotix, retrieved 2017-04-19
- "Enlighten your desktop with Elive | PACKT Books". www.packtpub.com. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Elive Beta: Enlightenment Sans Commitment - Slashdot". tech.slashdot.org. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- DistroWatch. "DistroWatch.com: Elive". distrowatch.com. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- "Elive" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Applications Included - Elive Linux". Elive Linux. Retrieved 2017-04-18.
- "You Want A Beautiful OS? Try Elive - Make Tech Easier". Make Tech Easier. 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2017-04-22.
- "Elive Linux- Fast and Fantastic Linux Destro – Code Morning Xyz". codemorning.xyz. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Enlightenment Linux: It's Not What You Think | Reviews | LinuxInsider". www.linuxinsider.com. Retrieved 2017-04-22.
- "OpenSourceFeed: Elive 2.7.2 beta released with improved look and feel". OpenSourceFeed. Retrieved 2017-04-22.
- "Elive 2.0 "Topaz"". soypintino.bligoo.com.ar (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Elive consigue ser más rápida y más bonita que antes". Linux Adictos (in Spanish). 2017-03-13. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- Nestor, Marius. "Elive 2.7.6 Beta Linux OS Lands with Amazing Speedup Improvements to Some Apps". softpedia. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "Elive - Download Old Versions". Elive Linux. Retrieved 2017-04-18.
- "Fastest and best looking Linux Distribution. (Elive) - Forums". CNET. Retrieved 2017-04-22.
- "Elive 2.8.8 Beta erschienen - Pro-Linux". Pro-Linux (in German). Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "Elive 2.0 - Distro Review". jeffhoogland.blogspot.be. Retrieved 2017-04-22.
- "Modulo de instalacion Elive Topaz 2.0 metodo para obtenerlo!" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Elive 2.0 Topaz" (in Russian). 2010-03-07. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Elive - Crowdfunding 3.0". Elive Linux. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Elive Systems". GitHub. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "E17 Compiz - Elive Linux". Elive Linux. Retrieved 2017-04-18.