DevuanWikipedia Open wikipedia design.
|Developer||The "Veteran Unix Admins" (VUA) collective; e.g. Franco Lanza, Denis Roio, Daniel Reurich, Drood|
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||2.0.0 / June 9, 2018|
|Latest preview||2.0.0 RC / 10 May 2018|
|Package manager||apt & dpkg|
|Kernel type||Monolithic: Linux|
|Official website||devuan |
Devuan is a fork of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution that started in November 2014. Its stated first goal was to provide a distribution without the systemd init daemon installed by default. The project's name is a portmanteau of Debian and VUA (Veteran UNIX Admins) who originally discussed a systemd-free fork of Debian.
The Debian 8 Jessie release had caused polarization among some Debian developers and users, due to the project's adoption of systemd as the default init. The first stable release of Devuan was published on May 25, 2017.
Devuan has its own package repository which mirrors upstream Debian development, with local modifications made only when needed to allow for other init systems rather than systemd. Modified packages include policykit and udisks. Devuan is supposed to work very similarly to the corresponding Debian release. Devuan does not provide systemd in its repositories but still retains libsystemd0 until it has removed all dependencies on it.
Instead of continuing the Debian practice of using Toy Story character names as release codenames, Devuan aliases its releases using planet names. The first stable release shared the Debian 8 codename Jessie. However, the Devuan release was named for minor planet 10464. The second stable release is named ASCII for minor planet 3568, while the permanent alias for the Devuan unstable branch is Ceres, named for the dwarf planet.
- Devuan ASCII 2.0 stable
- Developement Release: Devuan 2.0.0 RC (DistroWatch.com News)
- Hoffman, Chris. "Meet Devuan, the Debian fork born from a bitter systemd revolt". PCWorld. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Larabel, Michael. "Devuan: Debian Without Systemd". Phoronix. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Devuan Is Still Moving Along As A Debian Fork Without Systemd - Phoronix
- Sharwood, Simon. "systemd row ends with Debian getting forked". The Register. Archived from the original on 1 December 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Dyne.org (2016-11-29), Devuan GNU+Linux presented at FSCONS 2016, retrieved 2017-09-20
- Stahie, Silviu (28 November 2014). "Fork Debian Project Announces the Systemd-less OS Devuan". Softpedia. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- Wise, Paul (25 April 2015). "Debian 8 "Jessie" released". debian-announce. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- Devuan 1.0 Makes It To A Release Candidate: Debian Without Systemd - Phoronix
- Devuan 1.0 RC2 Released: Systemd-Free Debian - Phoronix
- Forked Debian Beta Is Rough Around the Edges | Reviews | LinuxInsider
- Is Devuan really a good idea?, Everyday Linux User
- Devuan 1.0 Jessie beta 2: That's Debian Jessie minus systemd | LinuxBSDos.com
- Devuan 1.0.0 RC Released! - gHacks Tech News
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 715, 5 June 2017
- Devuan 1.0 Officially Released - Letting Debian Live Without Systemd - Phoronix
- systemd-free Devuan Linux hits version 1.0.0 · The Register
- Devuan Jessie 1.0 Released, Brings Back Init to Debian | It's FOSS
- Meet Devuan, the Debian fork born from a bitter systemd revolt | PCWorld
- Devuan GNU+Linux 1.0: First Ever Stable Release Of "Debian Without systemd", Fossbytes
- Devuan Jessie is here — download the systemd-shunning Debian-forked Linux distro now, BetaNews
- Linux-Distributionen im Vergleich: Debian 9 oder Devuan? | iX
- Devuan 1.0 Officially Released, It's Based on Debian Jessie, but Without systemd, Softpedia News
- Devuan 1.0 has made its public release without systemd - Neowin
- "Devuan build system overview". Archived from the original on 12 January 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Debian FAQ Authors (1 May 2015). "What are all those names like etch, lenny, etc.?". The Debian GNU/Linux FAQ. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Devuan GNU/Linux - Debian without systemd". 4 February 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- Distribution Release: Devuan GNU+Linux 2.0.0 (DistroWatch.com News)
- Devuan ASCII 2.0.0 stable [LWN.net]
- systemd-freies Debian: Devuan 2.0.0 erschienen | heise online (in German)
- Released Last Week, DistroWatch Weekly
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 768, 18 June 2018
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Devuan.|