ResearchWikipedia open wikipedia design.
Research is the process of solving problems and finding facts in an organised way. Sometimes, Research is used for challenging or making contribution to generalizable knowledge. We may have to find some new algorithms, methods or replicate existing method to against others by proving the facts. Research is done by applying what is known (if anything), and building on it. Additional knowledge can be discovered by proving existing theories, and by trying to better explain observations. Research should be systematic, organized and objective.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" — Albert Einstein
Academic research[change | change source]
Researchers take part in field or laboratory experiments, reading relevant books, journals or websites, taking notes and making conclusions. Teaching and lecturing is only part of the job of a professor or researcher. When they are not directly teaching classes they are often working on academic research. Learning institutions can vary widely in what they expect from members of their faculty. Most expect faculty members to set up their own laboratories. They hire their own lab employees and obtain their own funding, often from more than one source. Academic researchers often compete for grants to fund research at their own university. The more money researchers can attract, the higher the prestige of that university.
Scientific research[change | change source]
The scientific method is the usual way of doing this kind of research. It is meant to improve understanding of biology, engineering, physics, chemistry and many other fields. With this kind of research, scientists can understand the world, and discover useful things.
Some basic principles of research[change | change source]
Any research should be:
- Systematic: from a hypothesis or working objective, researchers gather data according to a scheme set out in advance. They use the data to change ideas or add new knowledge to that already existing. The approach used in research is the scientific method.
- Organized: members of a research group use the same definitions, standards and principles. This is part of the detailed plan.
- Objective: conclusions from research must be based on observed and measured facts, not on subjective impressions. The conclusions should be unbiased.
Basic activities at research process[change | change source]
- Studying available information on the subject.
- Physical or computer modeling.
- Measuring the phenomena.
- Comparing the obtained results.
- Interpreting the results with the current knowledge, considering the variables which might have influenced the result.
Types of research[change | change source]
- Basic research, also called fundamental research or pure research, aims to understand nature.
- Applied research aims at using the new knowledge to do something.
Publishing[change | change source]
Research must be published so the world can learn from it. Nature, Science and Proceedings of the Royal Society, are general scientific journals. Many special journals are published. Research must pass the peer review process in order to be published.
References[change | change source]
- Bung, Mario 1967. Scientific research. vol 1: The search for system; vol 2: The search for truth. Berlin:Springer.
- "How to: Begin Basic Academic Research". OnlineUniversities.com. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "Academic research and studies: How they work and why journalists should care". Journalist's Resource. Harvard Kennedy School's Shorenstein Center and the Carnegie-Knight Initiative. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Barbara M. Sanborn (January 2011). "A career in academic research – what does it take to succeed?". ASBMB Today. American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Retrieved 4 October 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Daniel J. Howard; Frank N. Laird (Fall 2013). "The New Normal in Funding University Science". Issues in Science and Technology, Volume XXX Issue 1. University of Texas at Dallas. Retrieved 4 October 2016.