HatWikipedia open wikipedia design.
A hat is a type of covering for the head, and there are many types of hats.
Hats are different in different parts of the world. Some hats are worn by women, other hats by men, others by both; infants and children may also wear hats, and some hats are not worn by anyone at all. These hats are just used for decoration. People who make hats for men are called hatters, and those who make hats for women are called milliners. The kinds of hats (or caps, which are like hats) worn by different groups within various societies in different countries are very numerous.
Some types of hats or caps are worn as a sign of highly specialised social roles. For example, bishops can wear mitres and some lawyers wear wigs. In some societies, hats are of great political significance, such as the white hat of English Radicals, the Cap of Liberty of the Jacobins of France; and the two political parties in Sweden, the Hats (noblemen) and Caps (common people).
Some examples of hats:
- baseball cap, for baseball players and many others
- beaver hat, made of beaver skin
- beret, for fishermen or peasants in parts of western Europe
- bowler hat, for men practising some traditionally middle class occupations
- coonskin cap, for some hunters or trappers
- cowboy hat, for cowhands
- fedora, a felt hat of a particular shape
- fez, similar to a tarboush, found in many Islamic countries
- helmet, either for those serving in the armed forces or for sportsman (e.g. motorcyclists)
- mitre, for formal use by bishops
- riding helmet, a helmet for horse riders
- sombrero, for the Latin American peasant
- ten-gallon hat, a type of cowboy hat
- top hat, for the smart men of the world
Related pages[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hats.|