GeographyWikipedia open wikipedia design.
Geography is the study of lands, features, inhabitants, and phenomena. Usually this means of the Earth and its natural processes, natural events and people. However, it may sometimes include other planets. Its features are things like continents, seas, rivers and mountains. Its inhabitants are all the people and animals that live on it. Its phenomena are the things that happen like tides, winds, and earthquakes. The word geography comes from the Greek language. It means "to write and draw about the Earth". The first person to use the word γεωγραφία was Eratosthenes (276–194 BC).
A person who is an expert in geography is a geographer. A geographer tries to understand the world and the things that are in it, how they started and how they have changed.
Geography is divided into two main parts called physical geography and human geography. Physical geography studies the natural environment and human geography studies the human environment. The human environmental studies would include things such as the population in a country, how a country's economy is doing, and more. There is also environmental geography.
Branches[change | change source]
Physical geography[change | change source]
- Landscape ecology
Human geography[change | change source]
Human geography is the social science that covers the study of people and their communities, cultures, economies and their interaction with the environment. Geographers studying the human environment may look at:
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Geography". The American Heritage Dictionary/ of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company. Retrieved 9 October 2006.
- "Geography". The American Heritage Dictionary/ of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company. Retrieved October 9, 2006.
- Eratosthenes (2010-01-24). Eratosthenes' Geography. Translated by Roller, Duane W. Princeton University Press. ISBN 978-0-691-14267-8.
- Geography: The Mother of Sciences  
Other websites[change | change source]
- Geography Trainer 1.3 - Educational game aimed at school children
- www.geoknow.net - Geography resources at your fingertips!
- Using Literature To Teach Geography in High Schools. ERIC Digest.
- Teaching Geography at School and Home. ERIC Digest.
- The National Geography Content Standards. ERIC Digest.