Wacky Races (2017 TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Based on||Wacky Races|
by Hanna-Barbera and Heatter-Quigley
|Developed by||Rebecca Himot and Tramm Wigzell|
|Theme music composer||Hoyt Curtin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||78 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||11 minutes|
|Production company||Warner Bros. Animation|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||August 14, 2017 –|
November 24, 2019
|Related shows||Wacky Races|
Wacky Races is an American animated television series created by Rebecca Himot and Tramm Wigzell. It is a reboot of the 1968-69 Hanna-Barbera animated series of the same name. The show debuted in 2017 on Boomerang's video on demand service in the United States. Wacky Races was picked up for a second season.
The series features the return of characters from the original Wacky Races program, including Dick Dastardly, Muttley, Penelope Pitstop, Peter Perfect and the Gruesome Twosome. Several new characters were introduced as well, including I. Q. Ickly, Brick Crashman, P. T. Barnstorm, and Pandora Pitstop.
While the reboot stays true to the original series, it also focuses on the Racers' personal lives; storylines are added and there usually is no actual winner or loser at the end of each race. There is also meta-humor and fourth wall breaking.
- Dick Dastardly III and Muttley (voiced by Peter Woodward and Billy West): In this modern series, Dick Dastardly is still up to his usual trickery and cheating activities, though is now often badgered into either being nice or not cheating by Peter Perfect. Unlike before, his appearance is predominantly purple in color instead of blue, red and purple. Muttley, however, has undergone virtually no changes aside from his outward appearance, still either snickering or grumbling. In "Mother Knows Best", it is revealed that Dick Dastardly is actually the son/descendant of the original Dick Dastardly from the original Wacky Races series, who is also the husband of Delilah Dastardly. However, in "Grandfather Knows Dast", his grandfather is actually revealed to be the original Dick Dastardly from the original Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines series.
- Penelope Pitstop (voiced by Nicole Parker): Another original character, Penelope Pitstop has undergone the most changes from the original, both in appearance and outlook. While more assertive and much less of a damsel in distress than the original, she is still often the goody-two-shoes of the group and still talks like a Southern belle. Like before, her appearance is predominantly pink with hearts.
- Peter Perfect (voiced by Diedrich Bader): Like Dastardly and Muttley, largely unchanged from the original, although he is a bit more taunting of Dastardly than before. His appearance is predominantly orange and red.
- Tiny and Bella – the Gruesome Twosome (voiced by Billy West and Tom Kenny): They round out the characters from the original series, and are the closest to their original versions in most every respect.
- Ignatius Quinton "I. Q." Ickly (voiced by Jill Talley): A new character who is often called a "walking encyclopaedia" by Dastardly and has little social capability. Like Professor Pat Pending before him, he is a genius with a large amount of inventions that he uses throughout the race. As he is only 10 years old he does not actually drive, his car drives itself due to it being a sentient AI.
- Pandora Pitstop (voiced by Nicole Parker): A new character. Penelope's evil (and 12 seconds younger) twin sister and frequent guest Racer. She is similar to Penelope, except her outfit is predominantly purple and is often meaner and more underhanded than even Dastardly is. She often allies with Dastardly, but usually for her own ends.
- Captain Dash, Polly, Bugsy, Bluebeard and Davey Bones (voiced by Billy West and Tom Kenny): A gang of pirates that often steal gigs from Dastardly.
- Brick Crashman (voiced by Christopher Judge): The announcer for the Wacky Races.
- P. T. Barnstorm (voiced by Jill Talley): The owner and sponsor for the Wacky Races.
- Huckleberry Hound (voiced by Billy West): a guest racer and Peter Perfect’s stunt double
- Snagglepuss (voiced by Billy West and Tom Kenny)
- Hong Kong Phooey (voiced by Phil LaMarr)
- Quick Draw McGraw (voiced by Billy West)
- Touché Turtle (voiced by Billy West): a guest racer
- Ricochet Rabbit (voiced by Tom Kenny): a guest racer.
- The Dalton Brothers
- Scrappy-Doo (voiced by Tom Kenny): Scooby-Doo's nephew
- Mr. Jinks (voiced by Billy West)
- Top Cat
- Benny the Ball
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||40||August 14, 2017||May 31, 2018|
|2||38||November 29, 2018||November 24, 2019|
Wacky Races premiered internationally in 2017. The first episode was released on Boomerang's SVOD service in the United States on August 14, 2017. The other 11 episodes were released on August 31, 2017.
The series was first shown on television in the United States on the Boomerang channel, with the episode "Under the Rainbow" airing on Boomerang as a preview on February 22, 2018, and the series officially premiering on the Boomerang channel on May 21, 2018, alongside another show from Boomerang's SVOD service, Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.
Start Your Engines!, a DVD release containing the first 10 episodes of the series, was released on April 24, 2018.
- "Boomerang Launching 'Dorothy & The Wizard Of Oz' and 'Wacky Races' in June". Animation World Network. 2017. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Todd Spangler (March 7, 2017). "Turner, Warner Bros. to Launch Boomerang Cartoon Streaming-Subscription Service for $5 Monthly". Variety. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- @willterrell (December 12, 2018). "Not that I know of. The three shows I know were canceled were all the Boomerang App Exclusive Shows. Wacky Races, Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs, and Dorothy and the Wizard Of Oz, which I was on" (Tweet). Retrieved December 9, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Boomerang Schedule – Cartoon Network". 22 February 2018. Archived from the original on 22 February 2018. Retrieved 26 March 2018.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Google Photos". photos.google.com. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Boomerang Schedule - Cartoon Network". 22 February 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-02-22. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Wacky Races DVD news: Press Release for Season 1, Vol. 1: Start Your Engines! - TVShowsOnDVD.com". www.tvshowsondvd.com. Archived from the original on 9 February 2018. Retrieved 26 March 2018.