From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Broadcast area||Greater Danbury|
|Affiliations||CBS Sports Radio|
|Owner||Townsquare Media |
(Townsquare Media Danbury License, LLC)
First air date
Public license information
WINE (940 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a sports format. Licensed to Brookfield, Connecticut, United States, it serves the Danbury area. The station is owned by Townsquare Media. In the 1970s and early 1980s WINE was a Top 40 station. As the audience migrated to the FM band, WINE became a full-service adult contemporary station.
In the 1990s WINE became part of an all-news network that included WNLK, which both became newstalk a few years later. After being sold to Cumulus, WINE spent a few years as a nostalgia station, along with now Defunct sister station WPUT in Brewster, New York. Both became part of ESPN Radio 24/7 but switched to CBS Sports Radio on January 2, 2013. WINE's nighttime signal is very weak at 4 watts. WPUT operated daytime only.
WINE's longtime competitor is 800 AM WLAD in Danbury. WLAD is now a newstalk station. WINE's FM sister station is rock station, WRKI, as well as Patterson, New York's WDBY, which has a booster station in Danbury.
In December 2012, WPUT and WINE became CBS Sports Radio's 940SportsRadio
On August 30, 2013, a deal was announced in which Townsquare Media would acquire 53 Cumulus stations, including WINE, for $238 million. The deal was part of Cumulus' acquisition of Dial Global; Townsquare and Dial Global were both controlled by Oaktree Capital Management. The sale to Townsquare was completed on November 14, 2013.
- bobsblitz.com-Brandon Tierney's CBS Sports Morning Show will air on...WINE 940 & WPUT 1510
- "Official: Cumulus Buys Dial Global, Spins Some Stations To Townsquare; Peak Stations Sold To Townsquare, Fresno Spun To Cumulus". All Access. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus Makes Dial Global And Townsquare Deals Official". RadioInsight. August 30, 2013. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Cumulus-Townsquare-Peak Deal Closes". All Access. November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- WINE in the FCC's AM station database
- WINE on Radio-Locator
- WINE in Nielsen Audio's AM station database
|This article about a radio station in Connecticut is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|