Universal Music Publishing Group
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Headquarters in Santa Monica
|Predecessor||BMG Music Publishing|
PolyGram Music Publishing
MCA Music Publishing
|Parent||Universal Music Group|
Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG) is a North American music publishing company and is part of the Universal Music Group, a subsidiary of Vivendi and Tencent. It was formerly known as MCA Music Publishing until it merged with PolyGram.
Universal Music Publishing is the world's second largest music publishing company, behind Sony/ATV Music Publishing. UMPG's catalogue consists of over three million songs, with offices in over 30 countries.
In 1998, Seagram acquired PolyGram for $10.4 billion. PolyGram's music business was merged into Seagram's MCA Records, forming a new company named Universal Music Group. The merger also included both record labels' music publishers. PolyGram catalog included Dick James Music, Welk Music, Cedarwood Publishing, and Sweden Music. MCA had been in the music publishing business since 1964, when it acquired Lou Levy's Leeds Music. In 2006, Universal Music Publishing Group acquired Bertelsmann Music Publishing from Bertelsmann Music Group for €1.63 billion, back then the third largest publishing group in the world, making Universal Music the largest music publisher in the world. As part of the acquisition of BMG Music Publishing, Universal divested the catalogues of Zomba UK (and the European rights to Zomba USA), Rondor UK, 19 Music and BBC to a new company named Imagem (now part of Concord Music Publishing).
On January 1, 2015, Jody Gerson was named the Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Publishing Group, becoming the first female to run a major music publishing company. On December 3, 2015, she was named Executive of the Year by Billboard Magazine in its Women in Music issue. Sony/ATV Music Publishing overtook Universal Music Publishing as the world's largest music publisher in 2013 after acquiring EMI Music Publishing.
UMPG administers the 60,000 title Rondor Music Catalog and also owns or administers a multitude of others including: Interscope and Def Jam Music, WildBrain, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, All Nations Music, Charlie Daniels, Casa Ricordi, Matraca Berg, DreamWorks Animation, HBO, ViacomCBS (excluding Showtime Networks), Warner Bros., Sesame Street, Lionsgate, Disney Music Group, Forerunner Music, Epitaph Records, Greenwich/Barry, Momentum Publishing, and John Philips. UMPG also owns or administers the works of Leonard Bernstein and Henry Mancini (non-USA), and Dsign Music.
- "First-Quarter Music Publishing Rankings: SONGS Surges Again". billboard.com. 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- "Seagram buys PolyGram from Philips for $10.6bn". independent.co.uk. May 22, 1998. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Inc, CMJ Network (March 22, 1999). "CMJ New Music Report". CMJ Network, Inc. Retrieved April 4, 2018 – via Google Books.
- Hardy, Phil (March 17, 2014). Nickels & Dimes: Music Publishing & It's Administration in the Modern Age. Omnibus Press. p. 174. ISBN 978-0-85712-877-5.
- "MCA BUYS LEEDS, MUSIC PUBLISHER; Entertainment Concern Gets Assets and Copyrights". The New York Times. November 26, 1964. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved December 29, 2018.
- "European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Mergers: Commission approves Universal's proposed takeover of BMG's music publishing business, subject to commitments". europa.eu. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- "No. 8: Jody Gerson - Power 100". Billboard. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "Women in Music 2015: Jody Gerson Named Executive of the Year". Billboard. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- "Zach Horowitz Appointed Chairman/CEO of Universal Music Publishing Group | Billboard". Billboard.biz. April 18, 2012. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "Lionsgate & UMPG Sign Exclusive Long-Term Agreement". Billboard. August 2, 2018. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- "UMPG and Disney Music Publishing partnership goes global". musicweek.com. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Universal Music Publishing Group US
- Universal Music Publishing Group UK
- Universal Music Publishing Group Australia
- Universal Music Publishing Group Italy
- Universal Music Publishing Group Germany
- Universal Music Publishing Group Netherlands
- Universal Music Publishing Group Spain
- Universal Music Publishing Group Sweden
- Universal Publishing Production Music