Turn Up CharlieWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Turn Up Charlie|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||24–28 minutes|
|Picture format||4K (16:9 UHDTV in high dynamic range)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||15 March 2019 –|
Turn Up Charlie is a British comedy web television series created by Idris Elba and Gary Reich. The series stars Elba as a disc jockey who reluctantly becomes the nanny for his famous friend's daughter; Piper Perabo, JJ Feild and Frankie Hervey also star. The series premiered on 15 March 2019 on Netflix.
Turn Up Charlie follows "Charlie, a struggling DJ and eternal bachelor, who's given a final chance at success when he reluctantly becomes a nanny to his famous best friend's problem-child daughter."
Cast and characters
- Angela Griffin as Astrid
- Guz Khan as Dell
- Jocelyn Jee Esien as Auntie Lydia
- Jade Anouka as Tommi
- Rina Sawayama as Layla Valentine
- Cameron King as Hunter
- Emily Carey as Bea
- Dustin Demri-Burns as Daniel Smith
|No.||Title||Directed by ||Written by||Original release date |
|1||"Episode 1"||Tristram Shapeero||Georgia Lester||15 March 2019|
|2||"Episode 2"||Tristram Shapeero||Georgia Lester||15 March 2019|
|3||"Episode 3"||Tristram Shapeero||Victoria Asare-Archer & Georgia Lester||15 March 2019|
|4||"Episode 4"||Tristram Shapeero||Laura Neal||15 March 2019|
|5||"Episode 5"||Matt Lipsey||Femi Oyeniran||15 March 2019|
|6||"Episode 6"||Matt Lipsey||Laura Neal||15 March 2019|
|7||"Episode 7"||Matt Lipsey||Georgia Lester||15 March 2019|
|8||"Episode 8"||Matt Lipsey||Georgia Lester||15 March 2019|
On 18 April 2018, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. The series was created by Idris Elba and Gary Reich who will executive produce alongside Tristram Shapeero. Directors for the series include Shapeero and Matt Lipsey. Laura Neal, Femi Oyeniran, and Victoria Asare-Archer will serve as writers with Georgia Lester also serving as writer as well as supervising producer. Martin Joyce and Ana Garanito are co-executive producers and Gill Isles will serve as producer. Production companies involved with the series include Brown Eyed Boy Productions and Green Door Pictures. On 3 January 2019, it was reported that the series would premiere on 15 March 2019.
Alongside the initial series order announcement, it was confirmed that Idris Elba would star in the series as the titular Charlie. On 27 June 2018, it was announced that Piper Perabo, JJ Feild, and Frankie Hervey had joined the series' main cast. On 3 January 2019, it was reported that Angela Griffin, Guz Khan, Jocelyn Jee Esien, Jade Anouka, Cameron King, and Dustin Demri-Burns would join the cast.
Filming locations included West London Film Studios.
On 3 January 2019, a series of "first look" still images from the series were released featuring Idris Elba, Piper Perabo, JJ Feild, and Frankie Hervey as Charlie, Sara, David, and Gabrielle, respectively. On 28 February 2019, the official trailer for the series was released.
On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 51% with an average rating of 5.26/10, based on 37 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Poor writing and predictable plot twists dampen Turn Up Charlie's fun premise — but those looking for a breezy sitcom starring the perennially cool Idris Elba may find themselves tapping along to its good natured beats." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the series a score of 48 out of 100, based on 15 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."
- White, Peter (18 April 2018). "'Luther' Star Idris Elba To Star As Struggling DJ In Netflix Comedy 'Turn Up Charlie'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Greene, Steve (9 January 2019). "'Turn Up Charlie': Idris Elba Is a DJ in First Look at Netflix Comedy Series". Indiewire. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Turn Up Charlie – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- Otterson, Joe (18 April 2018). "Idris Elba to Star in Netflix Comedy Series 'Turn Up Charlie'". Variety. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Carr, Mary Kate (18 April 2018). "Idris Elba to star in Netflix comedy series 'Turn Up Charlie'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (18 April 2018). "Idris Elba to Create, Star in Netflix Comedy Series 'Turn Up Charlie'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- Petski, Denise (3 January 2019). "Idris Elba's 'Turn Up Charlie' Sets Netflix Premiere Date, Unveils First-Look Photos, Rounds Out Recurring Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- White, Peter (27 June 2018). "'Covert Affairs' Piper Perabo & 'Turn's JJ Feild Join Idris Elba's Netflix Comedy 'Turn Up Charlie'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Wright, Megh (28 February 2019). "Idris Elba Is Your Hot New Manny in the Turn Up Charlie Trailer". Vulture. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Turn Up Charlie: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Turn Up Charlie reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 4 April 2019.