The Circle (Brazilian TV series)Wikipedia open wikipedia design.
|The Circle Brazil|
Promotional poster for the series
|Presented by||Giovanna Ewbank|
|Country of origin||Brazil|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Running time||39–61 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Studio Lambert|
|Original release||11 March –|
25 March 2020
The Circle Brazil (also known as The Circle Brasil in Brazil) is a Brazilian reality competition show, produced by Studio Lambert and Motion Content Group which will be launched on Netflix. It premiered on 11 March 2020 and ended on 25 March as part of a three-week event. Along with The Circle Brazil, Netflix also released separate versions of The Circle in the United States and France. The Circle Brazil will be the first Brazilian reality TV show on Netflix. The show bills itself as a game based around social media, with the concept that "anyone can be anyone in The Circle". It has been compared to Big Brother and Catfish in format.
Marina Gregory won the first season of The Circle Brazil and the R$300,000 prize that came along with it. Ray Santos was the runner-up.
The contestants, or "players", move into the same apartment building. However, the contestants do not meet face-to-face during the course of the competition, as they each live in their own individual apartment. They communicate solely using their profiles on a specially-designed social media app that gives them the ability to portray themselves in any way they choose. Players can thus opt to present themselves as a completely different personality to the other players, a tactic otherwise known as catfishing; for example, one male player in the first season presented himself as a female identity, while another female contestant used photos of a woman she felt was more attractive.
In each episode, the contestants "rate" one another from first to last place. At the end of the ratings, their average ratings are revealed to one another from lowest to highest. Normally, the two highest-rated players become "Influencers", while the remaining players will be at risk of being "blocked" by the Influencers. However, occasionally there may be a twist to the blocking process – varying from the lowest rating players being instantly blocked, the identity of the influencers being a secret, or multiple players being blocked at one time. Blocked players are eliminated from the game, but are given the opportunity to meet one player still in the game in-person. Then, the day after a blocking, a video message is shown to the remaining players to reveal if they were real or fake.
|Ana Carla Medeiros||22||Campina Grande, Paraíba||Herself||Episode 1||Episode 2||Blocked|
|Rob Vulcan||34||Sorocaba, São Paulo||"Julia", a single and bisexual 34-year-old||Episode 1||Episode 3||Blocked|
|Gabriel "Gaybol" Cardoso||26||São Paulo, São Paulo||Himself||Episode 1||Episode 5||Blocked|
|Paloma "Loma" Lisboa||26||São Paulo, São Paulo||"Lucas", a sexy straight 25-year-old male||Episode 1||Episode 6||Blocked|
|João Akel||20||Araxá, Minas Gerais||Himself, but a 30-years-old dietician||Episode 1||Episode 9||Blocked|
|Lorayne Oliver||22||Realeza, Paraná||Herself||Episode 1||Episode 10||Blocked|
|Renan Marconi||30||Maringá, Paraná||Himself, but a single 26-year-old||Episode 9||Episode 10||Blocked|
|Rafael "Raf" Vilar||37||Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro||"Ana", a bisexual 35-year-old writer||Episode 7||Episode 11||Blocked|
|Lucas Blazute||30||São Paulo, São Paulo||Twin brothers playing jointly as 27-year-old female "Luma"||Episode 2||Episode 12||Fifth place|
|Marcel Blazute||30||Rio Branco, Acre|
|Raphael Dumaresq||24||Natal, Rio Grande do Norte||Himself||Episode 1||Episode 12||Fourth place|
|João Paulo "JP" Gadelha||31||Recife, Pernambuco||Himself, but 28-years-old||Episode 1||Episode 12||Third place|
|Rayssa "Ray" Santos||22||Manaus, Amazonas||Herself, but a single 25-year-old||Episode 4||Episode 12||Runner-up|
|Marina Gregory||25||Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro||Herself, but a 22-year-old singer||Episode 1||Episode 12||Winner|
|Title||Original air date|
|1||1||"Welcome to The Circle"||11 March 2020|
|The first nine players entered The Circle and were tasked with creating their profiles, including their age, relationship status, a short bio, and a profile picture. Immediately after, the players had to rank the other players from first to eighth bases on their first impressions of their profiles. The two players who ranked first and second would become The Circle Influencers, making the decision on whom they should block from The Circle. When the ratings were revealed, Dumaresq and Marina received first and second place, respectively. They went up to the Blue Room where they made the decision on who to block.|
|2||2||"House Party"||11 March 2020|
Dumaresq and Marina decided to block Ana Carla. As part of the format of the game, Ana Carla made her way to meet one of her fellow players face-to-face. She visited Dumaresq where she confronted him on calling her a catfish.
That night, there was a "festa" or party. The players all got a package at their door full of clothes they would wear to a carnival. Also in the box was ingredients and a recipe on how to make a caipirinha. Then, music was played throughout the apartments and the players started to dance. However, during the party, two twin brothers joined The Circle, playing as one player.
|3||3||"Follow the Dance"||11 March 2020|
The twins, who were revealed to be Lucas & Marcel, played jointly as a woman named Luma. They created their profile for The Circle, and joined the party. Before viewing Lucas & Marcel's profile, the players were allowed to post their best carnival photo as a new photo on the profile. While they were posting their photos, Lucas & Marcel were able to view all the other profiles. After every player posted their carnival photo, Lucas & Marcel posted their own photo, officially revealing Lucas & Marcel to the players.
When Lucas & Marcel's photo is shown to the players, Rob immediately comments that they are accepting of transgender people despite that neither the photos Lucas & Marcel are using, nor the description on Lucas & Marcel's profile, suggests that she would be transgender. The next day, Rob asks Lucas & Marcel if their birth certificate has male or female on it, again hinting that she is transgender. This confuses many players since they did not think she was transgender. Lucas & Marcel say she is a woman and that female is written on her birth certificate.
After the game, rating started. As new players, Lucas & Marcel could rate, but couldn't be rated. Lorayne and Marina were rated first and second respectively, making them Influencers. They decided to block Rob.
|4||4||"Opinion Poll"||11 March 2020|
Rob went to Marina's apartment. The next morning, the newsfeed was updated with a video from Rob, revealing to all the players that he was a catfish.
After the game, Ray entered The Circle.
|5||5||"Poisoned Apple"||18 March 2020|
The news that a new player arrived was given to the players. Ray was told she would be able to see the results of the Opinion Poll from last episode. From the results, she could choose one person to go on a date with in the Blue Room. She decided to go on a date with Lorayne.
After the game finished, the ratings opened. As the new player, Ray could rate the other players but could not be rated. When the rating results were revealed, it was announced that the lowest rated player would immediately get blocked from The Circle. The lowest rated player was Gaybol. Gaybol went to visit JP's apartment.
|6||6||"Blue Room"||18 March 2020|
It was revealed that another player would be blocked that night. JP and Lorayne, after receiving first and second place respectively, became Influencers and headed to the Blue Room. JP and Lorayne decided to block Lucas. Loma headed to Marina's apartment, where she revealed herself to be catfishing as Lucas.The next morning, the newsfeed was updating with video messages from Gaybol and Loma, revealing that Loma was a catfish.
|7||7||"The Circle Cup"||18 March 2020|
Raf joined The Circle, playing as his best friend, Ana. After he created Ana's profile, his profile became public, and the players were able to see Ana's profile. Then, The Circle Chat opened, allowing Raf to make his first impression as Ana.
|8||8||"Painting Truths"||18 March 2020|
The ratings opened, and, as the new player, Ana could not be rated but she could rate the other players.
The results were revealed. Lucas & Marcel and Dumaresq came in first and second respectively, making them the Influencers. They made their way to the Blue Room to make their decision on who to block. However, the Influencers were given the power to save one person of their choosing before deliberating on who to block. Lucas & Marcel saved Ray and Dumaresq saved Marina.
|9||9||"Pool Party"||25 March 2020|
After it came down to the three vulnerable players, Lorayne, Akel, and JP, Akel was blocked from The Circle. He was allowed to visit another player's apartment, and he chose to visit Lorayne.The next morning, a new player, Renan, entered The Circle. He was allowed to send breakfast to another female player. He chose Lorayne. After the breakfast, the newsfeed was updated with Akel's video, in which he was revealed to be real, but admitted to lying about his age and profession. That night, there was a "festa" or party because Renan was the last player to enter The Circle; however, immediately after the party, the ratings opened. Renan, being the newest player, was allowed to rate the other players, but he couldn't get rated. When the ratings were supposed to be announced, The Circle revealed that the highest rated player became the Superinfluencer, so there was no need to reveal the ratings. Lucas & Marcel got an alert saying that they had become the Superinfluencer, and they would have to tell the player they chose to block about their decision in person. They made their way to the apartment.
|10||10||"Fatal Visit"||25 March 2020|
Lucas & Marcel decided to block Lorayne. Since Lucas & Marcel had to visit her apartment, Lorayne was not able to meet another player face-to-face. The next morning, the newsfeed was updated with a message from Lorayne. After the message, Lucas & Marcel decided to tell everyone that they were the Superinfluencer.
That night, the ratings opened. Everyone was able to be rated. Soon after, the ratings were revealed, and Dumaresq and JP became Influencers, placing first and second respectively. However, the Influencers were not allowed to deliberate. Instead, each Influencer took turns saving one player until only one player remained. The player that was not saved would be blocked. Dumaresq went first, since he was rated higher than JP, and saved Raf. JP then saved Lucas & Marcel, and Dumaresq saved Marina. It came down to either Ray or Renan. JP saved Ray, meaning Renan was immediately blocked.
|11||11||"Candid Questions"||25 March 2020|
Renan, after getting blocked, went to visit Raf at his apartment. There, he was revealed to be a catfish.
Immediately after the game, the ratings opened. Soon after the ratings were revealed, and JP and Dumaresq became Influencers, placing first and second respectively. They made their way to the Blue Room and deliberated on who to block. They chose to block Raf. After he was blocked, Raf decided to visit Dumaresq's apartment, revealing he was a catfish. After Raf left, the players were informed that they were the finalists of The Circle Brazil. To celebrate, they had a party. Then, each player received a video from their families.
|12||12||"The Final Meeting"||25 March 2020|
The next day, the newsfeed was updated with a goodbye message from Raf, revealing to everyone that he was a catfish. the ratings opened. The players had to rate each other from first to fourth as the final rating of The Circle Brazil.
The players, as part of finale night, all went to one room to meet each other face-to-face for the first time during the whole game. JP entered the room. Then, Lucas & Marcel entered the room, revealing they were a catfish to JP. Soon after, all the other players entered and found out Lucas & Marcel were a catfish.On finale night, Giovanna Ewbank talked with the blocked players and interviewed the finalists before revealing the final ratings. Marina placed first and became the winner of The Circle Brazil. Ray got second place, JP got third place, Dumaresq got fourth place, and Lucas & Marcel got fifth place.
Tim Harcourt is the creative director of Studio Lambert, which produces the British and American versions of the show. Harcourt wondered what a reality show would look like if the people never met face-to-face. He had also been considering the idea of a bird's-eye view-style documentary of an apartment building, seeing into each of their lives. He began to work on The Circle after hearing that Channel 4 was looking for a reality-show format centered on social media.
The British version of the show premiered in 2018, and was renewed for its second season a few months after the first season ended. After the first season was Channel 4's "youngest profiling" show in six years, according to the British TV industry magazine Broadcast, talks began of international versions. On October 8, 2018, Netflix announced its partnership with All3Media to create three international versions of The Circle on Netflix, including the American version. Brandon Reigg, Netflix's Vice Principal of Unscripted Content, stated, "We think the show's combination of modern social media interaction and competition will captivate Netflix members around the world, in multiple languages, and we're delighted to partner with Studio Lambert and Motion to produce these three new local versions."
In an interview with Variety, Tim Harcourt, one of the executive producers for Studio Lambert, stated that The Circle format and premise allowed the casting team to search for all different kinds of people. He noted how the casting contrasted from casts on show like Real Housewives or Jersey Shore and how those shows are "all one gang of quite similar characters." He explained how there was no set cast for the show until it was over. The first eight players to enter were all predetermined and planned, but everything after that was all luck to whoever got on. Harcourt stated that the production team would decide who would be the right fit depending on who just left the game, acknowledging that with thirteen contestants, not all who were possible players end up on the show at all.
The Circle app
Each apartment that the players live in is plastered with screens in every room in order for the players be able to hold conversations with other players as they go about their everyday lives. Each player starts out the game by creating a profile. This includes sharing their age, relationship status, a short bio, and one photo to use as their profile picture. Everyday, the players are allowed to share a status update, explaining their thoughts for the day. Sometimes, either through rewards or passing a certain milestone, the players are allowed to upload another photo to their profile. However, the main purpose of The Circle is to be the only way players can communicate with each other.
At several points during the game, usually every episode, The Circle has the players play a minigame so that they can get to know their fellow players better. Tim Harcourt of Studio Lambert says that "some games were really good for bonding them, some were really good for them learning about each other, some were good for testing who's a catfish, some could have been more divisive."
At certain points during the show, there would be a rating. Players would have to rate each other from first to last by using The Circle and announcing the players they want in each placement. Then, The Circle would average all the placements for each players and create an average for each player. Depending on how high or low their average placement was, the player's ranking would determine if they became in influencer or not. An influencer is usually the two people who get first and second place at the ratings. The influencers would head to the hangout and discuss over The Circle which person to block.
The Circle Brazil was filmed in Fall 2019, after the American version's first season and the British version's second season. Filming took place in the same Salford, England apartment building that was used for the American version and second season of the British version.
As was the same for all versions of The Circle, the first season of The Circle Brazil was shot entirely in an apartment building in Salford, England. The apartment building is always prepared with twelve furnished and ready-to-use apartments for the players to live in. The building also has an exercise room and a rooftop lounge, which are also outfitted with cameras and television screens. One room in the building, called "the testimonial room," is the room players go to after they are blocked to create their goodbye video to the remaining players. On the outside of the building is a large, lit up circle made of a roughly 82-foot (25-meter) diameter aluminum track with LED lights strung through and around the circle.
Opposite the apartment building was the control room, which was previously a college campus that became disused. At any time in the control room, there were between twenty and thirty producers and camera operators working, recording, and sending all the messages from The Circle.
On January 27, 2020, a teaser for the Brazilian version was released, revealing the premiere date to be March 11, 2020. Then, on February 27, Netflix released the trailer for the first season, revealing the prize amount to be R$300,000 (US$67,000).
Results and elimination
|The contestant was blocked.|
|The contestant was an influencer.|
|The contestant was immune from being blocked.|
|Episode 1||Episode 3||Episode 5||Episode 8||Episode 9||Episode 10||Episode 11||Episode 12|
|Ray||Not in |
|1st||2nd||4th|| Fourth place|
|Lucas & Marcel |
|Not in |
|Not in |
|Renan||Not in |
|Lucas & Marcel, |
|Lucas & Marcel||Dumaresq, |
|Blocked||Ana Carla |
choice to block
choice to block
choice to block
choice to block
choice to not save
choice to block
|Lucas & Marcel |
choice to block
- ^Note 1 : In Episode 5, the lowest rated player, Gaybol, was immediately blocked from The Circle. Then, the new influencers headed to the Hangout and blocked another player.
- ^Note 2 : In Episode 8, each Influencer was able to save one player of their choosing. Lucas & Marcel saved Ray and Dumaresq saved Marina.
- ^Note 3 : In Episode 9, the ratings were not published. Instead, the highest-rated player automatically became the "superinfluencer," who could make the sole decision on whom to block.
- ^Note 4 : In Episode 10, the Influencers were not allowed to deliberate over who to block. Instead, the Influencers took turns saving other players with the player not saved being blocked from The Circle. Dumaresq, as the higher rating player, began by saving Raf, then JP saved Lucas & Marcel, and Dumaresq saved Marina. With the final selection, JP saved Ray, leaving Renan blocked from The Circle.
- ^Note 5 : In Episode 12, the players made their final ratings, ultimately deciding who the winner of The Circle Brazil will be.
- "Netflix fará versão brasileira do reality britânico 'The circle'". O Globo (in Portuguese). 19 December 2018. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- Elise Sandberg, Bryn. "Netflix to Adapt U.K. Reality Series 'The Circle'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Castro, Daniel (27 January 2020). "Além de Gagliasso, Giovanna Ewbank é contratada pela Netflix para comandar reality". noticiasdatv.uol.com.br (in Portuguese). Notícias da TV por Daniel Castro. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- White, Peter. "Netflix Remakes Studio Lambert's British Reality Series 'The Circle' In The U.S. & Two Other Global Markets". Deadline. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- Kuchera, Ben (10 January 2020). "Netflix's The Circle is the sweetest reality show about catfishing". Polygon. Retrieved 10 January 2020.
- "Welcome to The Circle". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 1. 11 March 2020. Netflix.
- "House Party". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 2. 11 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Follow the Dance". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 3. 11 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Opinion Poll". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 3. 11 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Poisoned Apple". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 5. 18 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Blue Room". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 6. 18 March 2020. Netflix.
- "The Circle Cup". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 7. 18 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Painting Truths". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 8. 18 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Pool Party". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 9. 25 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Fatal Visit". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 10. 25 March 2020. Netflix.
- "Candid Questions". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 11. 25 March 2020. Netflix.
- "The Final Meeting". The Circle Brazil. Season 1. Episode 12. 25 March 2020. Netflix.
- Smallman, Etan (29 December 2019). "Inside 'The Circle,' Reality TV Gets a Social Media Filter". nytimes.com. London, United Kingdom: The New York Times. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- Tutton, Charlotte (18 January 2019). "The Circle season 2 confirmed as Channel 4 series returns with a HUGE twist". OK! Magazine. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- Ling, Thomas. "The Circle series 2 confirmed – but there are going to be some changes". Radio Times. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- "Netflix to Adapt UK Unscripted Sensation The Circle with Three Local Versions for Countries Around the World". Hollywood, California: Netflix Media Center. 8 October 2018. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- Turchiano, Danielle (1 January 2020). "'The Circle' Boss on Connecting 'People Who Otherwise Might Not Have Come into Contact with Each Other' — And Catfishing". variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 2 January 2020.
- Fallo, Julie (3 January 2020). "The Circle: US Version Has a Shot at Succeeding From All the Right Changes". screenrant.com. Screen Rant. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Haylock, Zoe (21 January 2020). "The Circle's Creator Guides Us Through the Show's Beautiful Web of Lies". Vulture. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- Anderton, Joe. "The Circle may be coming back sooner than you think". Digital Spy.
- Haylock, Zoe (21 January 2020). "The Circle's Creator Guides Us Through the Show's Beautiful Web of Lies". vulture.com. Vulture. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Netflix (14 January 2020). "Go Inside The Circle Apartment Complex with Michelle Buteau – Netflix". youtube.com. YouTube. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- Fuentes, Tamara (14 January 2020). "Exclusive: Go Behind the Scenes of "The Circle" and Check Out the Apartments". seventeen.com. Seventeen. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
- @NetflixBrasil (27 February 2020). "Não sei quem eu vou amar e quem eu vou odiar, só sei que quero assistir logo. Apresentado pela @gewbank, The Circle Brasil estreia dia 11 de março" (Tweet) – via Twitter.