System softwareWikipedia open wikipedia design.
System software is computer software designed to provide a platform to other software. Examples of system software include operating systems like macOS and Windows, computational science software, game engines, industrial automation, and software as a service applications.
In the early days of computing most application software was custom-written by computer users to fit their specific hardware and requirements. In contrast, system software was usually supplied by the manufacturer of the computer hardware and was intended to be used by most or all users of that system.
The line where the distinction should be drawn is not always clear. Many operating systems bundle application software. Such software is not considered system software when it can be uninstalled usually without affecting the functioning of other software. Exceptions could be e.g. web browsers such as Internet Explorer where Microsoft argued in court that it was system software that could not be uninstalled. Later examples are Chrome OS and Firefox OS where the browser functions as the only user interface and the only way to run programs (and other web browsers can not be installed in their place), then they can well be argued to be (part of) the operating system and hence system software.
Operating systems or system control programs
The operating system (prominent examples being Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, and z/OS), allows the parts of a computer to work together by performing tasks like transferring data between memory and disks or rendering output onto a display device. It provides a platform (hardware abstraction layer) to run high-level system software and application software.
A user interface "allows users to interact with a computer." Either a command-line interface (CLI) or, since the 1980s a graphical user interface (GUI). Since this is the part of the operating system the user directly interacts with, it may be considered an application and therefore not system software.
Utility Hardware or system support programs
For historical reasons, some organizations use the systems programmer to describe a function which is more accurately systems administrator. tools these employees use are then system software. This so-called Utility helps to analyze, configure, the computer, such as virus protection. In some publications, the term system development tools (like a compiler, linker or debugger).
System software of video consoles
- From Microsoft:
- From Nintendo:
- Wii system software
- Wii U system software
- Nintendo DSi system software
- Nintendo 3DS system software
- Nintendo Switch system software
- From Sony:
- PlayStation 2 system software
- PlayStation 1 system software
- PlayStation Portable system software
- PlayStation Vital system software
- "What is software??? - Definition from WhatIs.com". Searchsoa.techtarget.com. Missing or empty
- "Panel: Systems Programming in 2014 and Beyond". Microsoft. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- W. W. Millner, Ann Montgomery-Smith (2000). Information and Communication technology for Intermediate Gnvq. p.126
- Daeryong, Kim. "Microcomputer Information Technology". Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "What is systems software?". Webopedia.com. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
|Wikiversity has learning resources about Introduction to Computers/System software|
- Sammet, Jean (October 1971). "Brief Survey of Languages Used for Systems Implementation". SCM SIGPLAN Notices. 6 (9): 1–19. doi:10.1145/942596.807055.