Syria Turkmen Bloc
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Arabic name||الكتلة الوطنية التركمانية السورية|
|Founded||15 February 2012|
|Preceded by||Syrian Turkmen Group,|
Syrian Turkmen Movement
|Military wing||Syrian Turkmen Brigades |
(controlling the forces of Latakia and the western front)
|Ideology||Syrian Turkmens' interests |
|National affiliation||Syrian Turkmen Assembly,|
Syrian National Council,
Syrian National Coalition
The Syria Turkmen Bloc (Turkish: Suriye Türkmen Kitlesi) or Syrian Turkmen National Bloc (Arabic: الكتلة الوطنية التركمانية السورية), is one of the two major opposition movements of Syrian Turkmens. The party is headed by Yusuf Molla.
The party was founded in Istanbul in February 2012. Still in the foundation phase, it suffered an early split, leading to the emergence of the Syrian Democratic Turkmen Movement. A reconciliatory meeting in December 2012 laid the grounds to the formation of the Syrian Turkmen Assembly. Since then, the Syrian Turkmen Bloc focussed on its remaining strongholds in Latakia and Bayır-Bucak, while the Syrian Democratic Turkmen Movement focusses on Aleppo.
The founding conference was supported by Mazlum-Der, a foundation linked to the Turkish AKP. After its foundation, the party joined the National Change Current (a coalition of smaller opposition parties). The representatives of the Syria Turkmen Bloc participated in the meetings for the Syrian Turkmen Assembly.
The Syria Turkmen Bloc is also associated with the Turkmen troops of Nurettin Zengi, Zahir Baybars, Al Huva Billa, Yavuz Sultan Selim, Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror, Memduh Colha, Bin Tamime, Katip Al Mustafa, Firsan Tevhid, Sukur ul Turkmen (Turkmen Falcons), which are all under the control of Brigade of Turkmen Mountain led by Muhammad Awad in the Latakia province.
- Interview with Yusuf Molla in: ORSAM 2013, pp. 35 f.
- Al-Akhbar. Syria’s Turkmen Join the Fight
- Today's Zaman. Turkey presses Syrian opposition to unite, produce ‘national pact'
- Turkmen demands are key to protecting Syria’s territorial integrity, Zaman Daily News, 24 March 2013
- ORSAM 2013, p. 14.
- ORSAM, ed. (March 2013). Syrian Turkmens: Political Movements and Military Structure (PDF). ORSAM–Middle Eastern Turkmen Report. 22 (= ORSAM Report No. 150). Ankara. ISBN 978-605-4615-47-6.