Stephen Young (actor)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
May 19, 1939
|Years active||1963-2013, 2018|
Stephen Young (born Stephen Levy; May 19, 1939) is a Canadian actor.
Young was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to a financier father. Directly following high school, he signed with the Cleveland Indians, but his professional bid ended when he seriously injured his knee playing ice hockey. He spent the next few years as a salesman, then wound up in radio and TV commercial production.
While traveling with a friend on a European excursion in the early 1960s, Young by chance got a bit part in the epic Cleopatra, then landed similar minor assignments in such other European-filmed epics as 55 Days at Peking, The Leopard, The Fall of the Roman Empire and The Thin Red Line.
Upon returning to Toronto, Young decided to become a full-time actor, originally billing himself under his birth name and appearing in leads on both daytime and primetime TV dramas. He headed the cast of the Canadian adventure series Seaway.
Moving to Hollywood in 1966, he subsequently starred as young lawyer Ben Caldwell, assistant to high-profile criminal attorney Clinton Judd (Carl Betz) in the drama Judd, for the Defense. The series was abruptly canceled after only two seasons. Stephen Young also co-starred in the cult science fiction TV series The Starlost (episode #11-'Astro-Medics') in 1973. Young progressed to high-ranking character actor, working in such films as Patton, Soylent Green, and The Silent Partner with appearances in lower-budget projects like The Mask of Sheba, Rage, and Lifeguard. He continued to return to Canada from time to time, where he played leads in the low-budget horror thrillers The Clown Murders and Deadline. Young also briefly hosted a 1980s Canadian game show, Just Like Mom.
Young slowed his activity entering the millennium, with his final appearance in the 2013 low budget independent film The Angel Inn.
- 55 Days at Peking (1963) (uncredited)
- The Thin Red Line (1964) as Stack
- Don't Forget to Wipe the Blood Off (1966)
- The President's Analyst (1967) as Man in Suit Killed With a Knife in the Beginning of the Movie (uncredited)
- John and Mary (1969) as Daytime Bartender (uncredited)
- Patton (1970) as Captain Chester B. Hansen
- Rage (1972) as Maj. Reintz
- Soylent Green (1973) as Gilbert
- Breaking Point (1976) as Peter Stratas
- Lifeguard (1976) as Larry
- The Clown Murders (1976) as Charlie
- Hawaii Five-O "To Die in Paradise" (1977) as Quincy
- The Little Dragons (1979) as Lunsford
- Hart to Hart "Homemade Murder" (1981) as Sergeant Cosgrove
- Spring Fever (1982) as Neil Berryman
- Deadline (1984) as Steven Lessey
- Not Another Mistake (1988) as Jasper
- Who's Harry Crumb? (1989) as Interior Decorator
- The Gumshoe Kid (1990) as Cop
- In The Heat of the Night (1991) as Mike Lawerence
- Scorned (1994) as Mason Wainwright
- The Rendering (2002) as Det. Nick Sousa
- Charlie Bartlett (2007) as Dr. Stan Weathers
- The Angel Inn (2013) as Arrogant Bum (final role)
Christmas Manger 2018 Chap