Social Distance (TV series)
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Created by||Hilary Weisman Graham|
|Music by||Jonathan Sanford|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Running time||18–23 minutes|
|Original release||October 15, 2020|
Social Distance is an American streaming television anthology series created by Hilary Weisman Graham and Orange Is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan that premiered on October 15, 2020 on Netflix. The series was "conceived, cast and executed entirely remotely during quarantine". The eight-part series, set during the beginning months of the COVID-19 pandemic, focuses on how families, friends, and couples were forced to cope with the effects of quarantine as well as the Black Lives Matter protests following the death of George Floyd. Each episode tells a different story and shows "the power of the human spirit in the face of uncertainty and isolation," and how technology was used to stay connected during quarantine.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Delete All Future Events"||Anya Adams||Hilary Weisman Graham||October 15, 2020|
| A man talks to some of his friends and his support group via videotelephony about what he went through in the past and tries to stay sober. |
Cast : Mike Colter, Heather Burns, Okieriete Onaodowan, Ajay Naidu, Shakira Barrera, Steven Weber, Helena Howard
|2||"A Celebration of the Human Life Cycle"||Diego Velasco||Tara Herrmann||October 15, 2020|
| A family grieves via videotelephony after a member passes away. The family has numerous issues including arguments and unnecessary interruptions. |
Cast : Oscar Nuñez, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Guillermo Diaz, Miguel Sandoval
|3||"And we could all together/Go out on the ocean"||Phil Abraham||Merritt Tierce||October 15, 2020|
|a woman cares for a senior while trying to help her daughter who is home alone. Cast : Danielle Brooks, Marsha Stephanie Blake, Isabella Ferreira|
|4||"Zero Feet Away"||Claire Scanlon||Anthony Natoli||October 15, 2020|
| A bickering couple is brought to reality as they navigate the COVID pandemic and other issues. |
Cast : Brian Jordan Alvarez, Max Jenkins, Peter Vack, Rana Roy
|5||"You Gotta Ding-Dong Fling-Flong the Whole Narrative"||Nick Sandow||Tara Herrmann||October 15, 2020|
| A man tries to take care of his son as his wife suffers from Covid. |
Cast : Peter Scanavino, Ali Ahn, Tami Sagher, Barbara Rosenblat, Michael Mulheren
|6||"Humane Animal Trap"||Jesse Peretz||Teleplay by : Heather Jeng Bladt|
Story by : Heather Jeng Bladt & Kirsa Rein
|October 15, 2020|
| A older couple argues about different things as they navigate covid. |
Cast : Becky Ann Baker, Dylan Baker, Marcia DeBonis, Raymond Anthony Thomas, Sunita Mani
|7||"everything is v depressing rn"||Angela Barnes||Anthony Natoli||October 15, 2020|
| A young girl (about 17 years old) has a crush on a boy in her Esports-team and is shy, so she turns to one of her friends for advice. In the end she is shocked to see some of the boy's posts on social media. |
Cast : Kylie Liya Page, David Iacono, Lachlan Riley Watson, Niles Fitch
|8||"Pomp and Circumstance"||Anya Adams||Teleplay by : Brandon Martin|
Story by : Brian Chamberlayne
|October 15, 2020|
| A young Black boy (about 20 years old) is floored when his older Black boss refuses to give him the afternoon off so he can go to a Black Lives Matter protest following the death of George Floyd. The two have a (generational?) clash and a lot of arguments are exchanged. |
Cast : Asante Blackk, Ayize Ma'at, Lovie Simone
For the series, review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 55% based on 11 reviews, with an average rating of 6.75/10. Metacritic gave the series a weighted average score of 56 out of 100 based on 11 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Social Distance | Netflix Official Site". www.netflix.com. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- Respers France, Lisa (April 29, 2020). "'Social Distance' anthology coming to Netflix". CNN. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- Ivie, Devon (August 26, 2020). "Becky Ann and Dylan Baker Will Be One of Netflix's Hot Coronavirus Couples". Vulture. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- Carly, Mallenbaum (September 23, 2020). "Everything coming to Netflix in October: From Adam Sandler's new movie to more 'Schitt's Creek'". Archived from the original on September 24, 2020. Retrieved October 13, 2020.
- "SOCIAL DISTANCE | CASTING ANNOUNCEMENT | NETFLIX".
- Bucksbaum, Sydney (September 25, 2020). "Get an exclusive first look at Netflix's 8-part anthology series 'Social Distance'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 28, 2020). "Jenji Kohan Sets 'Social Distance' Anthology Series at Netflix". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- Romero, Nick (August 26, 2020). "Mike Colter, Danielle Brooks, more to star in Netflix's quarantine-shot series". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 23, 2020.
- "Social Distance: Season 1 (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved November 8, 2020.
- "Social Distance: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved November 8, 2020.