From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
|Skydance Productions (2006–2016)|
|Founded||April 4, 2006|
|Headquarters||Santa Monica, California, United States|
Skydance Media (formerly known as Skydance Productions) is an American production company based in Santa Monica, California. Founded by David Ellison in 2006, the company entered a five-year partnership to co-produce and co-finance films with Paramount Pictures starting in 2009, and has renewed the agreement twice out to 2021. The company specializes in film, animation, TV and video games.
Skydance is responsible for feature-length films including True Grit, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, Jack Reacher, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Terminator Genisys, Star Trek Beyond, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Life, Baywatch, Geostorm, Annihilation, Mission: Impossible – Fallout, Gemini Man, Terminator: Dark Fate, and 6 Underground. Skydance's future feature film slate includes Top Gun: Maverick, Without Remorse, Snake Eyes, and The Tomorrow War.
In the fall of 2009, Skydance and Paramount Pictures signed a five-year co-financing, production and distribution agreement, with Paramount holding the additional option of distribution. Before August 2010, Skydance hired Dana Goldberg, formerly of Village Roadshow Pictures, to oversee development and production. In August 2010, with the Paramount partnership and an equity investment by the then sixth richest person in the world, Ellison's father Larry Ellison, Skydance raised $350 million in equity and credit to co-finance its films.
In 2014, Jesse Sisgold joined Skydance as President of Business Affairs & Strategic Planning and later that year was upped to Chief Operating Officer. He was again promoted in 2017 to President & COO.
In March 2015, Anne Globe joined the company as Chief Marketing Officer.
Later that same year, Skydance raised $700 million in new financing. The refinancing included $200 million in equity from a group of investors, and a $500 million line of credit from J.P. Morgan Chase. On May 3, 2016, Skydance Media used part of its new financing to purchase game developer The Workshop Entertainment, Inc. The Workshop Entertainment was renamed and organized as Skydance Interactive, LLC. David Ellison's company also created a production label named Uncharted in December 2016 in order to house content that falls outside of the action, sci-fi or fantasy genre.
On March 16, 2017, Skydance launched the Skydance Animation division by forming a multi-year partnership with Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios. Two projects are already in the works, with one of them originally eyeing a March 2021 release. In August 2017, Skydance and Paramount renewed their slate deal for another four years to 2021, with the addition of Skydance's animated films for distribution.
|July 2, 2021||Top Gun: Maverick||Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer Films, TC Productions and Tencent Pictures||Paramount Pictures|
|July 23, 2021||The Tomorrow War||Phantom Four Films and Lit Entertainment Group|
|October 22, 2021||Snake Eyes||Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Allspark Pictures and di Bonaventura Pictures|
|November 19, 2021||Mission: Impossible 7||TC Productions|
|February 18, 2022||Luck||Ilion Animation Studios|
|November 4, 2022||Mission: Impossible 8||TC Productions|
|November 11, 2022||Spellbound||Ilion Animation Studios|
|TBA||Without Remorse||Paramount Pictures, Weed Road Pictures, Outlier Society and Midnight Radio Productions||Amazon Prime Video|
Films in development
|The Greatest Beer Run Ever||Andrew Muscato Productions||Paramount Pictures|
|First Broadcast||Last Broadcast||Title||Network||Seasons||Episodes||Production|
|July 27, 2014||December 15, 2015||Manhattan||WGN America||2||23||Skydance Television|
|May 8, 2015||TBA||Grace and Frankie||Netflix||6||78||Okay Goodnight!, Skydance Television|
|October 1, 2017||January 6, 2018||Ten Days in the Valley||ABC||1||10||Skydance Television|
|February 2, 2018||TBA||Altered Carbon||Netflix||2||18|
|June 4, 2018||July 30, 2018||Dietland||AMC||1||10|
|June 6, 2018||TBA||Condor||Audience Network||1||10||MGM Television, Skydance Television, Paramount Television|
|August 31, 2018||Jack Ryan||Amazon||2||16||Paramount Television, Skydance Television, Platinum Dunes|
|TBA||Untitled Miraculous live-action TV series||TBA||TBA||TBA||ZAG Inc.|
|Foundation||Apple TV+||Skydance Television|
|Sword Art Online||Netflix|
|Untitled Steins;Gate live-action TV series||TBA|
Skydance Interactive is a game studio focused on developing ambitious titles, managing projects licenses to other developers, and developing innovative game mechanics and software for VR and emerging platforms. The division of Skydance Media was launched in 2016. In 2017, its first VR game, Archangel was launched. The game recently expanded into an online multiplayer upgrade, Archangel: Hellfire.
In 2017, Skydance Interactive partnered with Skybound Entertainment to develop a number of original virtual reality video games based on the expansive world of The Walking Dead universe. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners will be the inaugural title co-developed by the two companies. The studio is located in Marina del Rey, CA.
|April 6, 2018||PWND||Skydance Interactive|
|July 18, 2017||Archangel||Skydance Interactive|
|January 23, 2020||The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners|
Skydance formed a multi-year partnership in March 2017 with Madrid-based Ilion Animation Studios and in July, announced its first two animated feature films — Luck, which opens on February 18, 2022, and Spellbound (previously known as Split), on November 11, 2022. On October 10, 2017, Bill Damaschke was hired to head the division as president of animation and family entertainment.
Skydance Animation has signed on directors Alessandro Carloni (Kung Fu Panda 3) to direct Luck, Vicky Jenson (Shrek) to direct Spellbound, and Nathan Greno (Tangled) to helm Pookoo (formerly known as Powerless). Peggy Holmes (Secret of the Wings and The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning) was later announced as new director of Luck, replacing Carloni who left over creative differences.
Skydance Animation hired former Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios CCO John Lasseter as Head of Animation in late January 2019, supplanting Damaschke. This decision was met with disapproval from several contributors to various Skydance projects, owing to prior allegations of sexual harassment against Lasseter during his time with Pixar. Emma Thompson was to voice a character in Luck but left the project after Lasseter was hired.
Holly Edwards, who previously served as Skydance Animation's Head of Production, was promoted to the position of president at Skydance Animation.
On April 2, 2020, composer Alan Menken revealed that he is working alongside Lasseter on a project for the studio, which was later announced to be Spellbound. Skydance formally acquired Ilion Studios and rebranded it as Skydance Animation Madrid in April 2020. On July 30, the studio named Shane Prigmore for the newly created position of Senior Vice President of Development for Animation, in which he will oversee the creative development of all feature films and television series.
|Luck||February 18, 2022||Ilion Animation Studios||Paramount Pictures|
|Spellbound||November 11, 2022|
|Pookoo (working title)||TBA|
|The Fourteenth Goldfish||TBA|
- "Business Search on Skydance + LLC". businesssearch.sos.ca.gov. California Secretary of State. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Faughnder, Ryan. "China's Tencent acquires minority stake in Skydance Media - LA Times". latimes.com. Retrieved 20 September 2018.
- Eller, Claudia (2010-08-16). "David Ellison raises $350 million to co-fund movies with Paramount". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- Lacey Rose (April 3, 2013). "Skydance Productions to Launch TV Division, Taps Former Fox Exec Marcy Ross as President". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (2016-03-29). "David Ellison's Skydance Raises $700 Million In Funding For Film, TV Slates". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- Hipes, Patrick (2014-01-24). "Skydance Taps Jesse Sisgold As President Of Business Affairs & Strategic Planning". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- "Skydance Ups Jesse Sisgold to COO". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- McNary, Dave (2017-01-26). "David Ellison's Skydance Promotes Jesse Sisgold to President in Growth Push". Variety. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (March 4, 2014). "Don Granger Takes Exec Veep Post At David Ellison's Skydance Productions". deadline.com. Retrieved September 8, 2015.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (2015-03-03). "Skydance Gets Its Own Marketing Maven: Anne Globe Hired As CMO". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (May 3, 2016). "Skydance Media Buys Game Developer The Workshop And Launches Interactive Division". Deadline. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (2016-12-09). "David Ellison's Skydance Launches Uncharted Label With 'Baywatch'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- Fleming, Mike, Jr. (March 16, 2017). "Skydance Launches Animation Studio With Spain-Based Ilion". Deadline. Retrieved March 16, 2017.
- Galuppo, Mia (August 7, 2017). "Skydance, Paramount Ink New Four-Year Deal". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Lang, Brent; Donnelly, Matt (October 10, 2018). "As Annapurna Stumbles, Billionaire Larry Ellison Exerts Control". Variety. Archived from the original on January 17, 2019. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- Williams, Trey (October 22, 2018). "David Ellison's Skydance Taps Jun Oh to Lead Theatrical, Interactive Business and Legal Affairs". The Wrap. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Skydance Gets $275M Infusion From RedBird Capital & ‘Parasite’ Studio CJ, Raising Valuation To $2.3B
- McNary, Dave. "Ang Lee Eyes Sci-Fi Actioner 'Gemini Man' at Skydance". Variety. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Charlize Theron & KiKi Layne Comic Book Action Feature 'The Old Guard' Lands At Netflix". Deadline. 2019-02-21. Retrieved 2019-05-28.
- Zahed, Ramin (March 6, 2019). "Casey Leonard Makes Magic for Nickelodeon Movie 'Lucky'". Animation Magazine. Retrieved March 7, 2019.
- "'Green Book' Helmer Peter Farrelly To Adapt 'The Greatest Beer Run Ever' For Skydance". Deadline. April 26, 2019.
- "Skydance Developing Live-Action Adaptations Of 'Miraculous – Tales Of Ladybug & Cat Noir' For TV & Film". Deadline. 2018-09-05. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Goldberg, Lesley (August 2, 2016). "Japanese Novel and Anime Franchise Sword Art Online Being Adapted as Live-Action TV Series". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on August 2, 2016. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Live-Action Sword Art Online Producer: Series Sold to Netflix, Will Have Asian Lead Actors". Anime News Network. February 13, 2018. Archived from the original on February 14, 2018. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "『シュタゲ』ハリウッド実写化や『シュタインズ・ゲート ゼロ エリート』制作決定！ "科学ADVライブS;G1010th Anniversary"発表まとめ". Famitsu (in Japanese). 2020-01-26. Retrieved 2020-01-26.
- Loo, Egan (January 26, 2020). "Steins;Gate Game Gets Hollywood Live-Action Show". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on January 26, 2020. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "Interactives Archive - Skydance Media". Skydance Media. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- "Archangel: Hellfire Review - The Best VR Mech Combat Game Yet - UploadVR". UploadVR. 2018-07-17. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- Blake, Vikki (2018-07-18). "'The Walking Dead' Universe Heads to VR With 'The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners'". Variety. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- McNary, Dave (July 20, 2020). "Skydance Animation's 'Luck,' 'Spellbound' Scheduled for 2022 Release". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (October 10, 2017). "Skydance Hires Bill Damaschke for Animation-Family Entertainment Post". Variety. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (February 22, 2018). "Skydance Media Taps 'Tangled's Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct 'Powerless'". Deadline. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Lang, Brent (January 9, 2019). "Ousted Pixar Chief John Lasseter Hired by Skydance Animation". Variety. Retrieved January 10, 2019.
- Lang, Brent (January 15, 2019). "John Lasseter's Skydance Animation Tenure Is Already off to a Rocky Start". Vanity Fair. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- "Emma Thompson explains her John Lasseter letter". Southern California Public Radio. 2019-04-12. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- Donnelly, Matt (2019-02-14). "Skydance Animation Names Holly Edwards President Under John Lasseter". Variety. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- Talk Back with Alan Menken (2020)
- Giranda, Carolyn (May 20, 2020). "Alan Menken to Compose Original Songs and Score for Skydance Animation's 'Spellbound'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- Grater, Tom (April 6, 2020). "Skydance Acquires Spain's Ilion Studios To Form Combined U.S.-Europe Animation Outfit". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 6, 2020.
- Salinas, Victor (July 30, 2020). "Skydance Animation Hires Industry Veteran Shane Prigmore as SVP Development". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 30, 2020.
- McNary, Dave (8 June 2018). "'Fourteenth Goldfish' Animated Movie in Works From Skydance". Variety. Retrieved 20 September 2018.