Sexual networkWikipedia open wikipedia design.
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A sexual network is a social network that is defined by the sexual relationships within a set of individuals.
Studies and discoveries
Recent epidemiological studies have investigated sexual networks, and suggest that the statistical properties of sexual networks are crucial to the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Sub-graphs, both large and small, can be defined within the overall sexual network graph; for example, people who frequent particular bars or clubs, belong to a particular ethnic group or take part in a particular type of sexual activity, or are part of a particular outbreak of an STD. In particular, assortative mixing between people with large numbers of sexual partners seems to be an important factor in the spread of STD.
In a surprising result, mathematical models predict that the sexual network graph for the human race appears to have a single giant component that indirectly links almost all people who have had more than one sexual partner, and a great many of those who have had only one sexual partner (if their one sexual partner was themselves part of the giant component)..
For more detailed epidemiological work, the time sequence of sexual contacts is important.
- Liljeros, Fredrik; Christofer R. Edling; Luis A. Nunes Amaral (2003). "Sexual networks: implications for the transmission of sexually transmitted infections". Microbes and Infection. 5 (2): 189–196. doi:10.1016/s1286-4579(02)00058-8.
- Liljeros, Fredrik; Christofer R. Edling; Luis A. Nunes Amaral; H. Eugene Stanley; Yvonne Aberg (2001). "The web of human sexual contacts". Nature. 411 (6840): 907–908. arXiv:cond-mat/0106507. doi:10.1038/35082140. PMID 11418846.
- Rocha, L.E.C.; Fredrik Liljeros; Petter Holme (2010). "Information dynamics shape the sexual networks of Internet-mediated prostitution". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 107 (13): 5706–5713. Bibcode:2010PNAS..107.5706R. doi:10.1073/pnas.0914080107. PMC 2851932. PMID 20231480.
- M Kretzschmar. "Sexual network structure and sexually transmitted disease prevention: a modeling perspective". Sexually Transmitted Diseases volume 27, number 10 (November 2000): pages 627– 35.
- De, P.; et al. (2004). "Sexual network analysis of a gonorrhea outbreak". Sex Transm Infect. 80 (4): 280–285. doi:10.1136/sti.2003.007187. PMC 1744860. PMID 15295126.
- Bearman, P. S.; Moody, J.; Stovel, K. (2004). "Chains of Affection: The Structure of Adolescent Romantic and Sexual Networks". American Journal of Sociology. 110 (1): 44–91. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.483.9666. doi:10.1086/386272.
- L E C Rocha, F Liljeros and P Holme Information dynamics shape the sexual networks of Internet-mediated prostitution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences free online (March 2010).
- Apostolopoulos, Y.; Sönmez, S.; Shattell, M.; Kronenfeld, J.; Smith, D.; Stanton, S. (2011). "Cruising for Truckers on Highways and the Internet: Sexual Networks and Infection Risk". AIDS Education and Prevention. 23 (3): 249–266. doi:10.1521/aeap.2011.23.3.249. PMID 21696243.
- O'Connor, M. L. (1999). "Sexual Network Patterns Contribute to Racial Disparities in Disease Risk. Family". Planning Perspectives. 31 (6): 309–310. doi:10.2307/2991545. JSTOR 2991545.
- Choudhury, B.; Risley, C.; Ghani, A.; Bishop, C.; Ward, H.; Fenton, K.; Spratt, B. (2006). "Identification of individuals with gonorrhoea within sexual networks: a population-based study". Lancet. 368 (9530): 139–146. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69003-X. PMID 16829298.
- Day, S. S.; Ward, H. H. (1998). "Sexual networks: The integration of social and genetic data". Social Science & Medicine. 47 (12): 1981. doi:10.1016/s0277-9536(98)00306-2.
- Nyanzi, S., Nyanzi, B., Kalina, B., & Pool, R. (n.d). Mobility, sexual networks and exchange among bodabodamen in southwest Uganda. Taylor & Francis Ltd. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.
- Morris, Martina; Zavisca, Jane; Dean, Laura (1995). "Social and sexual networks: Their role in the spread of HIV/AIDS among young gay men". AIDS Education and Prevention. 7 (Suppl): 24–35. PMID 8664095.