S.S. Virtus Lanciano 1924
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017)
|Full name||S.S. Virtus Lanciano 1924|
|Ground||Stadio Guido Biondi,|
S.S. Virtus Lanciano 1924 is an Italian association football club, based in Lanciano, Abruzzo. It last played in Serie B in 2015–16 as Virtus Lanciano. Virtus Lanciano now competes in youth football only.
The club was founded in 1919 and refounded in 2008 with the name S.S. Virtus Lanciano 1924. That year S.S. Lanciano S.r.l. bankrupted; a new company S.S. Virtus Lanciano 1924 acquired the sports title by using the Article 52 of N.O.I.F.
In the season 2011–12 it was promoted to Serie B for the first time under the guidance of Carmine Gautieri, who also led the team to its debut season in the second tier, ended in a safe mid-table position.
Virtus Lanciano gained national news in end-2013 after the club, now headed by Marco Baroni, surprised the whole country by leading the league table undefeated, against all odds, by the end of October.
The club ended the 2015–16 season with relegation, and successively renounced to register for the new Lega Pro season due to financial and administrative issues. The first team was excluded altogether from the Italian football league pyramid.
Illegitimate phoenix club
After Virtus Lanciano was withdrew from the Italian football pyramid, another club, A.S.D. Marcianese, renamed itself as A.S.D. Lanciano Calcio 1920. That club claimed as a phoenix club of Virtus Lanciano.
Colors and badge
The team's official colors are red and black.
Notable former players
- Alessio Cragno (2016)
- Fabrizio Castori (1998–99), (2000–03)
- Maurizio Pellegrino (2004–05)
- Francesco Monaco (2005–06)
- Andrea Camplone (2006–07)
- Francesco Moriero (2007–08)
- Eusebio Di Francesco (2008–09)
- Dino Pagliari (2009–10)
- Andrea Camplone (2010–11)
- Carmine Gautieri (2011–13)
- Marco Baroni (2013–14)
- Roberto D'Aversa (2014–16)
- Primo Maragliulo (2016)
- Abete, Giancarlo (25 June 2008). "Attribuzione titolo sportivo S.S. VIRTUS LANCIANO 1924 e revoca affiliazione S.S. LANCIANO" (PDF). Comunicato Ufficiale (in Italian). FIGC. 2007–08 (117/A). Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- redazione (6 July 2016). "Lega Pro, la Virtus Lanciano non si iscrive. La lettera della famiglia Maio". itasportpress.it (in Italian). Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "Calcio, Allievi e Giovanissimi Regionali 2020/2021: ecco la nuova formula e i gironi". ilnuovoonline.it (in Italian). 25 September 2020. Retrieved 5 October 2020.
- "La Marcianese cambia ufficialmente nome: assemblea della società per dare vita al Lanciano Calcio 1920". lancianosport.it (in Italian). 16 May 2017. Retrieved 5 October 2020.