List of retired numbers in association football
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This practice, long established in the major North American sports, is a recent development in football since squad numbers for specific players were not widely used until the 1990s. Before then, it was typical for players in the starting lineup to be issued numbers 1 to 11 by formation/position on a match-by-match basis, and substitutes to be numbered from 12 upwards, meaning a player might wear different numbers during the season if they were to play in different positions for tactical reasons, or simply not be a regular in the starting lineup.
Nevertheless, in the American league NASL, players always wore permanent numbers since its inception in 1967. Moreover, Pelé's #10 was retired by the New York Cosmos during the farewell of the Brazilian star in 1977, probably becoming the first number ever retired in association football.
Retiring a player's number usually occurs after the player has left the team or retired. It honours a player who has meant so much to his club that they retire the shirt number that the player wore during their time there, meaning no other player is permitted to use that number in the future. In some cases, such as those of Jason Mayélé, Vittorio Mero, Marc-Vivien Foé, Miklós Fehér, Ray Jones, Dylan Tombides, François Sterchele, David di Tommaso, Antonio Puerta, Besian Idrizaj, Piermario Morosini and Davide Astori, numbers have been retired to posthumously honour a player who died while still active. Also, Norwegian club Fredrikstad retired Dagfinn Enerly's number following an on-pitch accident that left him paralysed. In Britain, only Bobby Moore's, Jack Lester's and Jude Bellingham's shirt numbers have been retired due to great service to the club as opposed to a tragic incident. Although it has not been officially retired, Gianfranco Zola's No. 25 shirt and John Terry’s No. 26 have not been reissued by Chelsea since they left the club in 2003 and 2017 respectively.
The Argentina, Ecuador and Cameroon national teams have been prevented from retiring the numbers of Diego Maradona (10), Christian Benítez (11) and Marc-Vivien Foé (17), respectively, by FIFA rules dealing with squad numbers for Finals tournaments; in other competitions, qualifiers or friendlies, national associations may assign numbers according to criteria of their choosing. Similarly, several clubs have been required to reissue retired numbers for continental club competitions due to squad numbering rules of continental confederations. For example, CAF and CONMEBOL have such rules in their club competitions, but CONCACAF does not.
Some South American teams (such as Universitario de Deportes or Flamengo, and even Mexican teams invited for the occasions) have occasionally had to re-issue their retired numbers for special cases due to CONMEBOL rules, which state that shirts must be numbered 1–25 in continental club competitions (such as Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana, among others).
|JS Kabylie||9||Albert Ebossé Bodjongo||Forward||2013–2014||posthumous|
|Godoy Cruz||18||Santiago García||Forward||2016–2021||posthumous|
|Rapid Wien||5||Peter Schöttel||Defender||1986–2001||His number was temporarily retired for at least 10 years. In 2013, it was reactivated and given to Thanos Petsos.|
|Rapid Wien||11||Steffen Hofmann||Midfielder||2002–2018||Retired for at least 11 years|
|Red Bull Salzburg||26||Jonathan Soriano||Striker||2012–2017||Club's Legend|
|Sturm Graz||3||Günther Neukirchner||Defender||1989–2006|
|Sturm Graz||7||Mario Haas||Striker||1993–2012|
|SV Ried||27||Sanel Kuljic||Striker||2003–2006|
|Club Brugge||23||François Sterchele||Striker||2007–2008||posthumous|
|OH Leuven||13||Bjorn Ruytinx||Striker||2004–2014||Club's Legend|
|UR Namur||3||Michel Soulier||Defender||1967–1977||posthumous|
|Avaí||88||Cléber Santana||Midfielder||2012 |
|Palmeiras||12||Marcos||Goalkeeper||1993–2012||For goalkeepers only. Outfield players have worn the number since his retirement.|
|São Paulo||01||Rogério Ceni||Goalkeeper||1990–2015||His double-digit number, worn from 2007, was retired on 12 December 2015 when he retired from football. The single-digit '1' may still be used, but the iconic '01', which is an inverted '10', is retired.|
|Lokomotiv Plovdiv||8||Hristo Bonev||Midfielder||1963–1967 |
|Ludogorets Razgrad||84||Marcelinho||Midfielder||2011–2020||Club Legend|
|CF Montreal||20||Mauro Biello||Forward||1993–1998 |
|Cobreloa||8||Fernando Cornejo||Midfielder||1992–1997 |
|Beijing Enterprises||24||Cheick Tioté||Midfielder||2017||posthumous|
|Chengdu Blades||18||Yao Xia||Striker||2005–2010|
|Dalian Shide||26||Zhang Yalin||Midfielder||2000–2009||posthumous|
|Dalian Transcendence||17||Wang Renlong||Striker||2014||posthumous|
|Cartaginés||18||Claudio Ciccia||Forward||2002–2004 |
|Anorthosis Famagusta||14||Temur Ketsbaia||Midfielder||1991–1994 |
|Dynamo České Budějovice||8||Karel Poborský||Midfielder||1991–1994 |
|Nordsjælland||26||Jonathan Richter||Midfielder||2005–2009||Lost his leg as a result of a lightning strike|
|Næstved BK||7||Rasmus Green||Midfielder||2005–2006||posthumous|
|Viborg FF||22||Søren Frederiksen||Striker||1989–1994 |
|Accrington Stanley||29||Billy Kee||Striker||2009–2010 |
|Retired due to mental health issues|
|Birmingham City||22||Jude Bellingham||Midfielder||2019–2020||Youngest-ever first-team player and goalscorer|
|Exeter City||9||Adam Stansfield||Forward||2006–2010||Following Stansfield's death from colorectal cancer during the 2010–11 season, the club retired his number 9 shirt for the following nine seasons. From the 2020–21 season onwards, the shirt will be worn by a 'home-grown player'.|
|Hartlepool United||25||Michael Maidens||Midfielder||2004–2007||posthumous|
|Macclesfield Town||21||Richard Butcher||Midfielder||2010–2011||posthumous|
|Manchester City||23||Marc-Vivien Foé||Midfielder||2002–2003||died on the pitch while playing for Cameroon, was at Manchester City on loan from Lyon at the time|
|Queens Park Rangers||31||Ray Jones||Forward||2006–2007||posthumous|
|Rushden & Diamonds||1||Dale Roberts||Goalkeeper||2008–2010||posthumous|
|West Ham United||6||Bobby Moore||Centre back||1958–1974||posthumous|
|West Ham United||38||Dylan Tombides||Striker||2010–2014||posthumous|
|Wycombe Wanderers||14||Mark Philo||Midfielder||2004–2006||posthumous|
|Rennes||29||Romain Danzé||Right back||2006–2019|||
|Sedan||29||David di Tommaso||Centre back||2000–2004||posthumous|
|Wacker Burghausen||11||Marek Krejčí||Striker||2004–2007||posthumous|
|VfL Wolfsburg||19||Junior Malanda||Midfielder||2012–2015||posthumous|
|AEL||24||Kobe Bryant||Shooting guard||1996–2016||Basketball legend, posthumous. Retired on January 27, 2020. |
|Skoda Xanthi||13||Olubayo Adefemi||Defender||2010–2011||posthumous|
|Skoda Xanthi||56||Steve Gohouri||Defender||2013–2014||posthumous|
|CSD Municipal||15||Juan Carlos Plata||Forward||1990–2010|
|Roulado||7||Jean-Robert Menelas||Striker||1993–2007||Number was retired in recognition of his career at the club and for his all-time record goal scoring in the league. He is the first in the history of Haitian football to have a number permanently removed from use.|
|Olimpia||11||Wilmer Velásquez||Forward||1991–1995 |
|Motagua||16||Edy Vásquez||Midfielder||2003–2007||posthumous, retired from 2007–2009|
|Happy Valley||2||Leung Sui Wing||Sweeper||1976–1997|
|Hong Kong Rangers||15||Cheung Yiu Lun||Defender||1992–1995 |
|Tai Po FC||16||Mao Mengsuo||Midfielder||2008–2010||posthumous|
|Diósgyőri VTK||77||José Juan Luque||Winger||1996–2013||Number retired on 2 June 2013 in respect of Luque being the most professional player in the DVTK history. His number retired for 10 years.|
|Ferencváros||2||Tibor Simon||Right fullback||1985–1999||posthumous|
|Kispest AC/Honvéd||10||Ferenc Puskás||Deep-lying forward||1939–1956||retired in 2000, died 2006|
|Kerala Blasters||21||Sandesh Jhingan||Defender||2014–2020||Club's Legend|
|Bethlehem Vengthlang||21||Peter Biaksangzuala||Midfielder||–2014||posthumous, after the player died celebrating a goal.|
|Dempo SC||10||Christiano Junior||Striker||2004||posthumous|
|Arema||47||Achmad Kurniawan||Goalkeeper||2006–2008 |
|Persebaya Surabaya||19||Eri Irianto||Midfielder||1998–2000||posthumous|
|Persela Lamongan||1||Choirul Huda||Goalkeeper||1999–2017||posthumous|
|Persis Solo||33||Diego Mendieta||Striker||2011–2012||posthumous|
|Persepolis||24||Hadi Norouzi||Midfielder |
Died while sleeping. The cause of death was heart failure. A few days after the incident, Persepolis football club confirmed that the number 24 will be retired.
|Sepahan||4||Moharram Navidkia||Midfielder||1998–2004 |
|Zob Ahan||30||Mehdi Rajabzadeh||Midfielder||2003–2007 |
|Derry City||18||Mark Farren||Striker||2000–2014||Number was retired in dedication to the club's all-time record goal scorer after he died of cancer.|
|Limerick FC||4||Joe O'Mahony||Centre back||1966–1986||posthumous|
|Hapoel Be'er Sheva||6||Chaswe Nsofwa||Striker||2007||posthumous|
|Maccabi Haifa||20||Yaniv Katan||Midfielder/Forward||1998–2006 |
|Maccabi Tel Aviv||8||Avi Nimni||Forward||1990–1997 |
|Maccabi Tel Aviv||12||Meni Levi||Right Back||2000–2002|
|Atalanta||14||Federico Pisani||Deep-lying forward||1991–1997||posthumous|
|Brescia||10||Roberto Baggio||Deep-lying forward||2000–2004||Club's Legend|
|Brescia||13||Vittorio Mero||Defender||1998–2001 |
|Cagliari||11||Gigi Riva||Striker||1963–1978||Club's Legend|
|Chievo||30||Jason Mayélé||Left/right winger||2001–2002||posthumous|
|Crotone||4||Antonio Galardo||Midfielder||1995–1998 |
|Genoa||7||Marco Rossi||Midfielder||2003–2004 |
|Internazionale||3||Giacinto Facchetti||Left fullback||1961–1978||posthumous|
|Internazionale||4||Javier Zanetti||Right fullback||1995–2014||Club's Legend|
|Milan||3||Paolo Maldini||Defender||1984–2009||Club's Legend|
|Milan||6||Franco Baresi||Defender||1977–1997||Club's Legend|
|Napoli||10||Diego Maradona||Midfielder||1984–1991||Club's Legend|
|Parma||6||Alessandro Lucarelli||Defender||2008–2018||Club's Legend|
|Salernitana||4||Roberto Breda||Midfielder||1993–1999 |
|Siena||4||Michele Mignani||Defender||1996–1997 |
|Vicenza||25||Piermario Morosini||Midfielder||2007–2009 |
|Montego Bay||2||Stephen Malcolm||Defender||1989–2001||posthumous|
|Reno F.C.||7||Caple Donaldson||Midfielder||posthumous|
|Fujieda MYFC||2||Toshihide Saito||Defender||2009–2013|
|Thespa Kusatsu||31||Ryosuke Okuno||Defender||2002–2003|
|Yokohama F. Marinos||3||Naoki Matsuda||Defender||1995–2010||posthumous|
|FC Astana||1||Nenad Erić||Goalkeeper||2011–2020|||
|FC Shakhter Karagandy||14||Andrei Finonchenko||Forward||2000–2016|||
|Al Ahly Tripoli||14||Tarik El Taib||Midfielder||1995–2001|
|VB Addu FC||7||Ali Ashfaq||Forward||2008–2011|
|Valletta||7||Gilbert Agius||Midfielder||1990–2013||Club's Legend. Still serves today as an assistant coach of the senior team.|
|Atlante||12||Félix Fernández||Goalkeeper||1989–1998 |
|Guadalajara||8||Salvador Reyes||Striker||1953–1967 |
|Guadalajara||22||José Martínez González||Midfielder||1970–1981||posthumous|
|Monterrey||26||Humberto Suazo||Forward||2007–2014||Number retired on 12 December 2014|
|Monterrey||28||Jesús Arellano||Right Winger||1992–1997 |
|The shirt is not fully retired. Arellano has given consent for his son to adopt the number 28.|
|Pachuca||1||Miguel Calero||Goalkeeper||2000–2011||His number had been retired on 23 October 2011 after Calero's retirement as a professional player. Later his number was retired again posthumous when he died on 4 December 2012.|
|Pachuca||110||Andrés Chitiva||Midfielder||2001–2008 |
|UNAM||12||Sergio Bernal||Goalkeeper||1989–1997 |
|Raja Casablanca||23||Zakaria Zerouali||Defender||2011|
|Ajax||14||Johan Cruyff||Forward||1957–1973 |
|Ajax||34||Abdelhak Nouri||Midfielder||2016-2017||Nouri collapsed on the pitch after suffering severe cardiac arrhythmia so therefore Ajax retired his number in honour|
|NAC Breda||13||Ferry van Vliet||Midfielder||2001–2002||posthumous|
|Telstar||22||Luciano van den Berg||Defender||2004–2005||posthumous|
|Utrecht||4||David di Tommaso||Centre back||2004–2005||posthumous|
|Wellington Phoenix||22||Andrew Durante||Defender||2008–2019|||
|FK Osogovo||7||Nikola Mantov||Forward||?-1973||In 1973, during a football match between FK Osogovo and FK FAS 11 Oktomvri from Skopje, the 23-year-old Nikola Mantov –one of the best players of FK Osogovo at the time– collapsed on the field and died. In his honor, the home-ground of FK Osogovo was named Nikola Mantov Stadium and the number 7 shirt was retired in his honour.|
|Linfield||11||Noel Bailie||Defender||1986–2011||number retired in 2011 to commemorate his world record of 1,013 senior appearances for the club|
|Árabe Unido||21||Amílcar Henríquez||Midfielder||2003–2008 |
|Universitario de Deportes||22||José Luis Carranza||Midfielder||1986–2004|
|Lech Poznań||9||Piotr Reiss||Forward||1994–1998 |
|Legia Warsaw||10||Kazimierz Deyna||Midfielder||1966–1978||posthumous|
|Widzew Łódź||11||Włodzimierz Smolarek||Striker||1974–1978 |
Died on 23 December 2017. The number was retired on 3 January 2018. Leonardo Acevedo was the last player to hold the number, but changed to the 59 shirt midway through the 2017–2018 season
|União Leiria||10||Hugo Cunha||Midfielder||2004–2005||posthumous; has been worn again since 2009|
|Dinamo Bucureşti||11||Cătălin Hîldan||Midfielder||1994–2000||posthumous|
|Dinamo Bucureşti||14||Patrick Ekeng||Midfielder||2016||posthumous|
|Dinamo Bucureşti||25||Ionel Dănciulescu||Striker||1995–1997 |
|CSKA Moscow||16||Serhiy Perkhun||Goalkeeper||2001||posthumous|
|Rubin Kazan||17||Lenar Gilmullin||Defender||2003—2007||posthumous|
|Rubin Kazan||61||Gökdeniz Karadeniz||Midfielder||2008—2018||Club's Legend|
|Ural||23||Pyotr Hrustovsky||Striker||1999 |
|Alianza||2||Roberto Rivas||Right Back||1960–1970||posthumous|
|FAS||10||Mágico González||Forward||1977–1982 |
|Municipal Limeño||11||Oscar Armando Díaz||Striker||–1998||posthumous|
|Najran SC||20||Al Hasan Al-Yami||Striker||1991–1996 |
|Number retired on 31 July 2012.|
|Radnički Niš||10||Ivan "Beli" Krstić||Midfielder||2000||posthumous|
|Spartak Trnava||9||Ladislav Kuna||Midfielder||1964–1980||posthumous|
|Ajax Cape Town||21||Cecil Lolo||Defender||2015–2016||posthumous|
|Orlando Pirates||1||Senzo Meyiwa||Goalkeeper||2005–2014||posthumous|
|Orlando Pirates||22||Lesley Manyathela||Forward||2000–2003||posthumous|
|Daejeon Citizen FC||18||Kim Eun-jung||Striker||1997–2003 |
|Daejeon Citizen FC||21||Choi Eun-sung||Goalkeeper||1998–2012|
|Daewoo Royals, Busan I'cons||16||Kim Joo-Sung||Midfielder||1987–1992 |
|Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors||20||Lee Dong-gook||Striker||2009–2020|
|Extremadura||19||Jose Antonio Reyes||Winger||2019||posthumous|
|Real Betis||26||Miki Roqué||Defender||2010–2012||posthumous|
|Assyriska FF||18||Eddie Moussa||Striker||2001–2010||posthumous|
|Helsingborgs IF||17||Henrik Larsson||Striker||1992–1993 2006–2009|
|Kalmar FF||15||Johny Erlandsson||Winger||1973–1988|
|Norrköping||18||Stefán Þórðarson||Striker||2004–2007 |
|The shirt was worn by Þórðarson during his comeback in the club during the 2009 season. Has been worn again since 2017.|
|Umeå IK||6||Malin Moström||Midfielder||1995–2006 |
|The shirt was worn by Moström during her comeback at the club during the 2007 season.|
|Östers IF||6||Mario Vasilj||Central Defender||2006–2018||Retired the number for six years.|
|St. Gallen||17||Marc Zellweger||Defender||1994–2001 |
|İstanbul Başakşehir F.K.||12||Recep Tayyip Erdoğan|||
|Kansas City||12||Lauren Holiday||Midfielder||2013–2015|
|New York Cosmos||9||Giorgio Chinaglia||Striker||1976–1983||Number posthumously retired in June 2014.|
|New York Cosmos||10||Pelé||Striker||1975–1977||Number retired on 1 October 1977, at halftime.|
|New York Red Bulls||99||Bradley Wright-Phillips||Forward||2013–2019||He left the New York Red Bulls in 2019, but the franchise had announced his number would be retired in August 2018.|
|Portland Timbers||3||Clive Charles||Defender||1978–1981||Number posthumously retired 23 August 2003.|
|Real Salt Lake||9||Jason Kreis||Midfielder/Striker||2005–2007||Retirement ceremony held on 4 July 2011.|
|Tampa Bay Rowdies||6||Mike Connell||Defender||1975–1984||Number retired 10 August 2013|
|Tampa Bay Rowdies||12||Perry Van der Beck||Midfielder||1978–1982 |
|Number retired 1 October 2010|
|Shakhtar Donetsk||33||Darijo Srna||Defender||2003–2018|
|Zorya Luhansk||33||Maksym Iv. Bilyi||Midfielder||2010–2013||posthumous|
|Hoàng Anh Gia Lai||13||Kiatisuk Senamuang||Striker||2001–2006|
|Hoàng Anh Gia Lai||14||Võ Bá Khôi||Defender||2003–2006||posthumous|
|Swansea City||40||Besian Idrizaj||Striker||2009–2010||posthumous|
|Milan||3||Paolo Maldini||Left back, Centre-back||1984–2009||The shirt was not fully retired. Maldini has given consent for his sons to adopt the number 3 shirt if either of them play professionally for the club.|
|Roma||6||Aldair||Centre-back||1990–2003||The shirt number had been retired by the club when the player left the club in 2003. When Kevin Strootman joined Roma in 2013, he asked for permission to wear number 6. The club approved the request after Aldair gave his consent.|
|Slavia Prague||7||Stanislav Vlček||Striker||2004–2007 |
|Rather than retiring the number, the club opted to freeze the number for any future player that wants it, provided that the applying player meets 7 game achievements. Among those are scoring 3 goals overall against Sparta Prague, being nominated for his national team, winning the trophy for top goalscorer and others. Even though Milan Škoda met the requirements in the 2016–17 season, he opted to keep his number 21. The 7 was eventually given to Danny upon him joining the team for 2017-18 season. Vlček gave his consent and Danny pledged to work to meet the remaining criteria.|
|Argentina||10||Diego Maradona||Midfielder||1979–1994||The number 10 had been retired by Argentine Football Association in October 2001 to honour Maradona. Before the 2002 World Cup, the AFA submitted a squad list of 23 players for the tournament, listed 1 through 24, with the number 10 omitted. FIFA rejected Argentina's list, and the governing body's president, Sepp Blatter suggested the number 10 shirt be instead given to the team's third-choice goalkeeper, Roberto Bonano. AFA ultimately submitted a revised list with Ariel Ortega, originally listed as number 23, as the number 10. The number 10 has been worn by other players since, most notably by Lionel Messi, whom Maradona considered "his successor".|
|Dunfermline Athletic||4||Norrie McCathie||Defender||1981–1996||The club retired the number after club captain McCathie was found dead in his home on 8 January 1996, as a result of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. At that time, Scottish League clubs used shirt numbered from 1 to 11, so for the remainder of the 1995–96 season, 12 was used instead. However, the number was not retired permanently, and has been re-issued since.|
|Livorno||10||Igor Protti||Striker||1985–1988 |
|In December 2005, Livorno officially retired the #10 jersey. However, Protti, who led the forward line and captained his side in two promotions from Serie C1 to Serie A, quickly gaining a reputation as a fan favourite, announced his willingness to see the #10 number reissued to another player, in order to "give anybody back a dream to dress it one day." This was made effective starting from the 2007–08 season, in which Francesco Tavano played with the #10 number.|
|Exeter City||9||Adam Stansfield||Forward||2006–2010||The club retired the number 9 for nine seasons after the striker died of cancer on 10 August 2010.|
|Maccabi Tel Aviv||12||Meni Levi||Defender||–2007||During a game between Maccabi Tel Aviv and Beitar Jerusalem, Levi chest-controlled and kicked the ball, ran back to defend, then collapsed. He returned to his feet, and then collapsed a second time. He was subsequently on a life-support machine, and has since returned home. The club claims that the number 12 is unofficially reserved for the fans.|
|Universitario||9||Lolo Fernández||Forward||1930–1953||Number retired only for the 2013 season.|
|Leeds United||17||Massimo Cellino||Chairman||2014||Leeds retired the number 17 shirt due to Italian chairman Massimo Cellino's superstitions, as 17 is considered an unlucky number in Italian culture. Number was re-issued in July 2019.|
|Motherwell||10||Phil O'Donnell||Midfielder||1990–1994 |
|Phil O'Donnell collapsed while playing for Motherwell against Dundee United in 2007. He was later pronounced dead at Wishaw General Hospital. The number 10 shirt was worn by his nephew David Clarkson during the 2008-09 season. Since Clarkson left in June 2009, it has not been retired, but has not been issued to any subsequent player.|
|Orlando Pirates||22||Lesley Manyathela||Striker||2000−2003||The club retired the number 22, after Manyathela died in a car crash in August 2003. However, Confederation of African Football rules state that shirts must be numbered 1–30 in continental club competitions, so Pirates has been re-issued it in those special cases.|
|Oviedo||10||Peter Dubovský||Midfielder||1995–2000||The Spanish Football League allowed Oviedo to retire number 10 just for the 2000–2001 season, as an exception to its rules. At the end of the season, number 10 was re-issued.|
|Sevilla||16||Antonio Puerta||Left back, Left winger||2004–2007||The shirt has not been fully retired. It was temporarily retired after Puerta died of a cardiac arrest on the first matchday in La Liga 2007–2008 However, the Spanish Football Federation rules state that clubs must use number 1 to 25 for their regular squad, and as a result, David Prieto wore the number in 2008 in honour of his friend. It has become a club policy to hold number 16 to players coming from the youth academy as a tribute to Puerta, who was a youth system product. Exceptions have been made when 16 was the only jersey number available.|
|Stabæk||7||Christer Basma||Central defender||1995–1998||The club had retired the number to honor his services for the club. However, the retirement was revoked after 2004 season and the number given to Henning Hauger.|
|Chelsea||25||Gianfranco Zola||Forward||1996–2003||Chelsea have not officially retired the number 25 shirt, but it has not been allocated to another player since Zola left the club in 2003.|
|Portsmouth||13||Aaron Flahavan||Goalkeeper||1994–2001||Following Flahavan's death in a car accident in August 2001, Portsmouth and his first club, Southampton, retired their number 1 shirts for the 2001-02 season as a mark of respect. From the 2003-04 season, Portsmouth retired the number 13 shirt, as this was the number Flahavan wore during the majority of his time at the club. Number 13 remained unused until 2011, when it was allocated to goalkeeper Stephen Henderson, and it has been reissued since.|
|LA Galaxy||13||Cobi Jones||Midfielder||1996–2007||The number was not officially retired by the Galaxy but had not been worn since Jones retired. In 2017, it was given to Jermaine Jones.|
|Tampa Bay Rowdies||7||Steve Wegerle||Forward||1977–1981 |
|Although his number had been retired by the original franchise in 1989, the current team has reissued it.|
|FC Haka||14||Valeri Popovitch||Forward||1994–2008||First ever retired shirt number in the history of Finnish football is ex-Haka's Valeri Popovitch's number 14. Popovitch has stated that his sons, who are still playing for Haka's junior teams, can wear the legendary number if they want.|
|Wycombe Wanderers||14||Mark Philo||Midfielder||2004–2006||Philo was killed in a car accident and the number 14 shirt retired. It was later revealed he was significantly over the drink-drive limit and his car veered on to the other side of the road, killing a 58-year-old mother of two.|
|Lyon||16||Luc Borrelli||Goalkeeper||1998–1999||posthumous — returned to use in 2011|
|Lyon||17||Marc-Vivien Foé||Midfielder||2000–2003||posthumous — returned to use in 2008|
|1. FC Köln||10||Lukas Podolski||Winger||2002–2006 |
|The club had announced that the number would remain out of circulation as long as Podolski is playing football on a professional level. Nevertheless, the #10 was given to Patrick Helmes in July 2014.|
|Galatasaray||3||Bülent Korkmaz||Central defender||1984–2005||Despite the club announcing the retirement of the number, it has been re-issued.|
|Independiente Santa Fe||23||Léider Preciado||Striker||1995–1998 |
|The number was out of circulation for a period of 23 months (starting May 2012) in honor of the second top scorer in the history of the club.|
|Guadalajara||11||Ramón Morales||Midfielder||1998–2011 |
2013– (as part of the coaching staff).
|The shirt was never officially retired, but it was not issued out of American competitions for the time between Morales' exit and his return as a coach. All players intending to wear the jersey have to ask for Morales' consent. It is now being worn by Isaác Brizuela.|
|Pachuca||8||Gabriel Caballero||Midfielder/Forward||1998–2002 |
|His number was just temporarily retired for 5 years. After that period, it was reactivated and given to Hirving Lozano in 2014.|
|Sagan Tosu||17||Sakata Michitaka||Non-player||2001–||The shirt was retired posthumously, to honour Michikata who played a key role in establishment of former Tosu Futures and their revival as Sagan Tosu, and who died due to kidney cancer on 7 January 2000. Number 17, derived from the day of his death, was selected to be retired. The number would later also be dedicated to the club's fans, thus they have not retired squad number 12 like most Japanese League teams.|
|Persepolis||7||Ali Parvin||Midfielder||1970–1987||The shirt was retired after Parvin's retirement, but Parvin gave the shirt to player Hamid Estili and the shirt has since not been retired permanently.|
|Barcelona||21||Luis Enrique||Midfielder||1996–2004||Joined the club as a free agent from eternal rivals Real Madrid, and spent eight years at Barcelona. In his last years, he became the captain of the team. The shirt was retired for just two years (2004–06), since La Liga did not allow to retire numbers permanently. Former coach of the team. The number 21 shirt was awarded to Lilian Thuram in 2006.|
|Schalke 04||7||Raúl||Striker||2010–2012||At the time Raúl left the club, the team intended to retire the jersey indefinitely. However, the retirement of this shirt only lasted one year; since 2013 it has been worn by Max Meyer.|
|Wolverhampton Wanderers||1||Carl Ikeme||Goalkeeper||2003–2018||Carl Ikeme retired from professional football before the 2018–2019 season after complete remission from acute leukaemia and the club decided to leave the jersey previously worn by Ikeme vacant with newly signed Rui Patrício unusually wearing the number 11 and the other team goalkeepers wearing numbers ending in "1".|
|Sydney FC||15||Terry McFlynn||Midfielder||2005–2014||Sydney FC have not officially retired the number 15 shirt, but it has not been allocated to another player since McFlynn retired from professional football in 2014. McFlynn also held a staffing position with Sydney FC from 2014 until 2019.|
|Mohamed Atwi||20||Akhaa Ahli Aley||Midfielder||2018–2020||Akhaa Ahli Aley have retired the squad number 20, in honour of Atwi's death in 2020 due to a stray bullet in the head. The club has retired the number for two seasons—from 2020 to 2022—the duration in which Atwi stayed at the club.|
Dedication to fans
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Some clubs dedicate a number to their fans, and do not issue it to any player. The most common number for this practice is 12, from descriptions of the fans as "the twelfth man".
In Japanese footballing tradition, almost all the professional teams retired the number 12 for their supporters. The only two teams not to retire 12 are Urawa Red Diamonds and Sagan Tosu (Sagan retired 17 for a similar reason).
Other clubs and teams include:
Notes: 1 Despite of having their number "12" retired, Brazilian clubs have had to re-issue them for CONMEBOL competitions such as Copa Libertadores, where the squads must be numbered from 1 to 25 consecutively.
2 Exeter City reserve the number 12 shirt for the 'Twelfth Man' sponsor of individual games. 
Indy Eleven reserve the number 11 for their supporters.
Reading, Notts County and Bryne reserve the number 13 for their supporters, Panathinaikos reserve this number in honour of Gate 13, the ultras based in the respective gate in home matches. Norwich City also reserve the number 13 shirt for "the fans" while Shrewsbury Town reserve the number 13 shirt for the fan who wins a pre-season competition.
Bursaspor reserve the number 16 for their supporters.
AFC Bournemouth use squad number 27 for the Steve Fletcher Stand which houses the large majority of hardcore supporters, the number 50 for "12th man" and the number 99 shirt for their mascot, Cherry Bear.
Gillingham use squad number 13 for the 'Rainham End' Stand of Priestfield Stadium as this stand holds the majority of hardcore supporters.
Oldham Athletic reserve the number 40 for their fans.
Levadiakos have reserved the number 10 for the club president, Giannis Kobotis.
Leicester City have reserved the number 50 for the mascot, Filbert Fox, which he wears on his shirt at every game.
Atlanta United reserve the number 17 for their supporters and to reference their inaugural season in Major League Soccer. For the 2021 MLS season, the club also reserved the number 44 as part of a tribute by Atlanta-area sports teams in memory of Henry Aaron of the local MLB club, who died January 22, 2021, where all sports teams in the area reserved the No. 44 for the year.
- Nápoli retira camiseta número 10 en homenaje a Maradona, Caracol, 24 August 2000
- "NASL Rosters". www.nasljerseys.com.
- "Heritage". nycosmos.com. New York City, New York: New York Cosmos. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Famous retired jersey numbers in football on SportsKeeda
- Los números 1 en México by Fabián Torres on Marca, 2014
- "Soccer-Ecuador to reinstate Benitez's number 11 for World Cup". reuters.com. 6 March 2014.
- "Godoy Cruz retira la camiseta de Morro García". argentina.as.com. 6 February 2021.
- Godoy Cruz retirará la camiseta 18 on El Gráfico, 6 February 2021
- Muerte de Morro García: Godoy Cruz retirará la camiseta 18 on TyC, 6 February 2021
- "Riesen-Ehre: Salzburg huldigt Soriano". sport.oe24.at. 3 March 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 April 2016. Retrieved 29 March 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Avaí faz homenagem ao meia Cleber Santana e eterniza a camisa 88". globoesporte.globo.com. 5 December 2016.
- "São Paulo aposenta a camisa 01, e Ceni diz: 'É uma extensão da carreira' (Portuguese page)". 12 December 2015.
- "Club Retires Number 9 Shirt". exetercityfc.co.uk. 20 August 2010. Archived from the original on 24 August 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2010.
- "Matt Taylor: "It feels fitting that the shirt should go to a home-grown player as we know how much this club meant to Adam and how highly the fans hold him in their memories."". Exeter City F.C. 12 August 2020. Retrieved 12 August 2020.
- Scott Murray and Paolo Bandini (27 May 2009). "Which clubs have retired shirt numbers?". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 May 2009.
- "Silkmen retire Richard Butcher's Squad Number". Macclefield Town FC Official website. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "Justin Edinburgh:Dale touched our lives". Rushden & Diamonds Official website. 16 December 2010. Archived from the original on 19 December 2010. Retrieved 16 December 2010.
- "Hammers pay tribute to Dylan". www.whufc.com. 19 April 2014. Archived from the original on 17 December 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "Emiliano Sala: Nantes to retire No.9 shirt in honour of Argentine as they pay emotional tribute to their former striker - Goal.com". www.goal.com.
- "Rennes : Le club retire le numéro de son capitaine mythique" (in French). foot-national.com. 3 June 2019.
- Eliézer, Gary, ed. (16 September 2015). "Foot- D1- Roulado : Le numéro 7 de Jean Rebert Menelas retiré" (in French). Haiti Tempo. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- Azard, Marc Johnsen, ed. (17 September 2015). "Foot- D1- Roulado: Jean Rebert Ménélas : "j'ai apprécié et admiré ce geste"" (in French). Haiti Tempo. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Sandesh Jhingan: Kerala Blasters retire the iconic No. 21 jersey". Khel Now. 22 May 2020. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- "Peter Biaksangzuala: Indian player dies after goal celebration". BBC Sport. 20 October 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "The Last Goal - Remembering Cristiano Junior" at Feverpitch, 5 December 2012 Archived 10 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- پیراهن شماره 24 هادی نوروزی بایگانی شد + عکس
- "پیراهن شماره 24 هادی نوروزی با دستور وزارت ورزش بایگانی شد". Archived from the original on 20 September 2016. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "حواشی ختم هادی نوروزی و بایگانی پیراهن شماره 24". 90tv.ir.
- "طاهری: ارزش کاپیتان نوروزی برای پرسپولیس فراتر از مسائل فنی بود – باشگاه فرهنگی ورزشی پرسپولیس". fc-perspolis.com.
- varzesh3. "رجب زاده خداحافظی کرد شماره 30 بایگانی شد". Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Limerick FC Retire No4 Jersey - Limerick FC".
- "Internazionale retire No4 shirt in honour of Javier Zanetti", The Guardian, 30 June 2014
- McVitie, Peter. "Inter make Zanetti vice-president and retire No.4 jersey - Thohir - Goal.com". www.goal.com.
- "Livorno retires Morosini's number 25 - Turkish News". Hürriyet Daily News.
- "Ненад Эрич: «Часть меня навсегда останется на Астана Арене и в ФК Астана!". fcastana.kz (in Russian). FC Astana. 2 March 2021. Retrieved 2 March 2021.
- "ФК Астана закрепил номер один за Эричем". fcastana.kz (in Russian). FC Astana. 2 March 2021. Retrieved 2 March 2021.
- "Футбольный клуб "Шахтёр" — Официальный сайт". shakhter.kz.
- "George Weah: Former World Player of the Year plays for Liberia, aged 51". 11 September 2018 – via www.bbc.com.
- Thomas, Josh (24 March 2019). "Nix to retire Durante's shirt number". Goal.
- ¿Cómo prevenir las muertes en los campos de fútbol? by Kris Voakes and Peter McVitie at Goal.com
- Árabe Unido retira el dorsal 21 de Amílcar Henríquez - TVmax-9 (in Spanish)
- "Boavista FC eterniza "29" de Edu Ferreira" [Boavista FC eternizes Edu Ferreira's "29"] (in Portuguese). 3 January 2018. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 September 2004. Retrieved 29 January 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "صحيفة سبورت السعودية - أخبار الكرة السعودية".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 June 2016. Retrieved 9 June 2019.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Pirates retire Senzo's number". Sport. 28 October 2014.
- "Jose Antonio Reyes: Extremadura pay tribute to former player". 5 June 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Skogh, Karin (26 June 2007). "Malin Moström gör kort comeback". Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- Dahlén, Johanna (11 November 2018). "Vasilj hyllades i sista matchen". Sveriges Radio (in Swedish). Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "Josef Sural shirt number retired after death in bus crash". BBC. 30 April 2019. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Istanbul Basaksehir, the club that removed the Turkish president's jersey".
- "Cosmos retiring Giorgio Chinaglia's No. 9 shirt - Goal.com". www.goal.com.
- "Cosmos to honor Chinaglia, retire number in season-ending ceremony".
- "Heritage". New York Cosmos.
- New York Red Bulls honor Bradley Wright-Phillips: The last to wear No. 99, MLS Soccer, 5 Aug 2018
- Clive Charles - F.C. Portland Academy Archived 23 November 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Edward, James (2 July 2011). "Real Salt Lake: Jason Kreis has altered the course of team history". DeseretNews.com.
- Davis, Randy (25 March 2011). "Real Salt Lake extend Kreis' contract through '13". MLSSoccer.com. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 November 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Perry Van Der Beck's number to be retired by FC Tampa Bay Rowdies". 15 September 2010.
- "Shakhtar retired the number 33".
- Мы помним тебя, Максим!. ФК «Зоря» (in Russian). 28 September 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "Swans to retire Besian's shirt". Swansea Official website. 18 May 2010. Archived from the original on 29 March 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2010.
- "Maldini shirt waits for 3G". Channel 4. 26 May 2007. Archived from the original on 27 May 2007. Retrieved 26 May 2007.
- "Aldair at 50: 13 facts you need to know". www.asroma.com.
- "Ortega fills Maradona's shirt". BBC Sport. 27 May 2002.
- "NMBF Profile". Norrie McCathie Benevolent Fund. Archived from the original on 29 September 2007. Retrieved 26 January 2007.
- "Protti rimanda in campo il 10. A Livorno lo avrà Tavano" (in Italian). Gazzetta dello Sport. 20 July 2007. Archived from the original on 22 August 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2007.
- "Levi continues rehab at home". Eternal-Allegiance. Archived from the original on 4 March 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2007.
- ""Universitario de Deportes retira dorsal '9' por centenario del Lolo Fernández", on La República, 14 January 2013". Archived from the original on 25 March 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Prieto: Wearing Puerta's No. 16 Is An Honour". Goal.com. 25 July 2008. Retrieved 7 January 2009.
- ABC (Spanish newspaper)
- Cobi Jones confirms that Jermaine Jones will wear the LA Galaxy No. 13 kit by Adam Serrano on LA Galaxy website, 7 Feb 2017
- Landman, Brian (22 July 1989). "Great playmaker bows out tonight". St. Petersburg Times. p. 4T. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "Numero 14 poistui käytöstä". fchaka.fi. 13 July 2009. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 14 July 2009.
- "Football star had 7 pints before fatal crash". This Is Local London.
- Ankers, George. "Podolski vexed as Koln U-turn on promise to retire his shirt - Goal.com". www.goal.com.
- "Adiós a la 23", Sangre Cardenal, May 2012 Archived 11 July 2014 at Archive.today
- Caballero regresó el retirado número 8 a Pachuca para Hirving Lozano, ESPN
- "پیراهن شماره "7" علی پروین بایگانی شد – باشگاه فرهنگی ورزشی پرسپولیس". fc-perspolis.com.
- "پیراهن علی پروین در پرسپولیس بایگانی شد". Archived from the original on 9 October 2016. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "پیراهن شماره "7" علی پروین بایگانی شد". footballonline.ir.
- "۷ پرسپولیس هم مثل ۷ استقلال بایگانی شد!".
- "Auf Wiedersehen, Raul! Schalke's Spanish superstar leaves behind a legendary legacy in Germany". Goal.com. 19 April 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Wolverhampton Wanderers retire number one shirt in show of respect to Carl Ikeme". Sports Mole.
- "Wolves Confirm Bizarre Squad Number for New Goalkeeper Rui Patricio Ahead of Premier League Debut". 90min.com. 10 August 2018.
- "Rui Patricio Has Chosen To Take The Number 11 Shirt". www.sportbible.com. 10 August 2018.
- "First Team". www.wolves.co.uk.
- Mahfoud, Maroun (14 October 2020). "Akhaa Ahli Aley retires number 20". FA Lebanon. Retrieved 14 October 2020.
- "Saint Louligans - Supporting Soccer in the St. Louis Area". Saint Louligans - Supporting Soccer in the St. Louis Area.
- fc-perspolis. "پیروانی: به پاس زحمات هواداران، پیشنهاد بایگانی شدن شماره ۱۲ را به نشانه یار دوازدهم به باشگاه ارائه کردم". fc-perspolis.com. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "Lista de Jugadores Copa Libertadores 2012" (Flamengo roster included) - CONMEBOL Archived 24 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Exeter City Hospitality Brochure 2014/15"[permanent dead link]
- "Squad Numbers". LeedsUnited.com. Archived from the original on 5 August 2008. Retrieved 1 August 2008.
- "To "79" ανήκει στους πορτοκαλί!" (in Greek). sentragoal.philenews.com. 12 October 2010. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Rochdale Football Club Saddened To Learn Of The Passing Of Joshua McCormack". www.rochdaleafc.co.uk.
- Rossitch, Eric (10 February 2017). "Atlanta, Number 17 is for You". Atlanta United FC. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Association football retired numbers.|