Rahel JaeggiWikipedia Open wikipedia design.
Rahel Jaeggi (born July 19, 1967 in Bern) is a professor of Practical Philosophy and Social Philosophy at the Humboldt University of Berlin. Her research areas are in Social Philosophy, Political Philosophy, Ethics, Philosophical Anthropology, Social Ontology, Critical Theory and the enhancement of Critical Theory. Since February 2018 she has been the head of the Berlin campus of the newly founded International Center for Humanities and Social Change.
Jaeggi is the daughter of Swiss sociologist Urs Jaeggi. Prior to working as a research assistant to Axel Honneth at the University of Frankfurt, Jaeggi studied at the Free University of Berlin and at the University of Frankfurt. She wrote her doctoral thesis on the concept of alienation. Research and teaching positions brought her to Yale University in New Haven, the New School for Social Research in New York City, and the University of Frankfurt. She wrote her postdoctoral thesis on the subject of Critique of Forms of Life at the University of Frankfurt. Since 2009 she has been the chair of Practical Philosophy and Social Philosophy at the Humboldt University of Berlin. She taught as a Theodor-Heuss-Professor at the New School for Social Research in New York during the academic year of 2015/16.
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (Review Board Practical Philosophy)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Philosophie e.V. (Extended Board)
- Zeitschrift für philosophische Forschung (Scientific Advisory Board)
- Internationale Marx-Engels-Stiftung (IMES) (Scientific Advisory Board)
- Polarkreis e.V.
- Constellations– An International Journal of Critical and Democratic Theory (Editorial Council)
- Grüne Akademie
- Critical Horizons (Editorial Council)
- Member of the editorial board of Moral Philosophy and Politics (de Gruyter).
- Member of the editorial board of Essex Studies in Contemporary Critical Theory (Rowmans and Littlefield International).
- Member of the founding committee and editorial board of the interdisciplinary scientific journal polar. Politik/Theorie/Alltag (2003–2009).
Selected works in English
- Fraser, Nancy; Jaeggi, Rahel (2018). Capitalism: A Conversation in Critical Theory. Polity Press. ISBN 9780745671567.
- Critique of Forms of Life. Cambridge: Harvard University Press (forthcoming: 2018)
- Alienation, Columbia University Press 2014.
- ″What (if Anything) Is Wrong with Capitalism″ (Working Paper 01/2013 of the DFG- Forschungskolleg‚ Postwachstumsgesellschaften, Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena, 2013)
- ″What is a (good) Institution?″ in: Social Philosophy and Critique, Rainer Forst, Martin Hartmann, Rahel Jaeggi and Martin Saar (ed.) (2009)
- ″Re-Thinking Ideology″ in: New Waves in Political Philosophy, Christopher Zurn, Boujdewijn de Bruijn (ed.) (2008)
- ″No Individual Can Do Anything Against It: Adorno's Minima Moralia as a Critique of Forms of Life″ in: Dialectic of Freedom, Axel Honneth (ed.) (Suhrkamp 2005)
- ″Solidarity and Indifference″ in: Solidarity and Care in the European Union, R. Termeulen and R. Houtepen (ed.) (Kluwer 2001)
- ″The Market's Price″ in: Constellations, volume 8, nº 3, 2001.
- Website at the Humboldt University of Berlin
- 2016 Heuss Lecture: The Dialectics of Progress: Rahel Jaeggi. The New School for Social Research.
- Keynote “Critique of Forms of Life” (abstract) The Society for European Philosophy and Forum for European Philosophy Joint Annual Conference. Theme: Philosophy After Nature. Utrecht University, September 2014.
- Critique of Forms of Life (text of conference).
- Official website of the Humboldt-University of Berlin
- Website of Critical Theory in Berlin, events of the Practical Philosophy and Social Philosophy chair of the Humboldt University of Berlin.