Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of JusticeWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Pokémon the Movie:|
Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice
|Japanese||劇場版ポケットモンスター ベストウイッシュ キュレムVS聖剣士 ケルディオ|
|Hepburn||Gekijōban Poketto Monsutā Besuto Uisshu Kyuremu tai Seikenshi Kerudio|
|Literally||Pocket Monsters Best Wishes! The Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sacred Swordsman: Keldeo|
|Directed by||Kunihiko Yuyama|
|Produced by||Takemoto Mori|
|Written by||Hideki Sonoda|
|Based on||Pokémon: Best Wishes!|
by Satoshi Tajiri
|Music by||Shinji Miyazaki|
|Box office||$46 million|
Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice[a] is a 2012 Japanese animated film based on the Pokémon media franchise created by Satoshi Tajiri, Junichi Masuda and Ken Sugimori, produced by OLM, Inc. and distributed by Toho. The film was directed by Kunihiko Yuyama and written by Hideki Sonoda. It is the 15th Pokémon animated film.
The film follows Keldeo, a creature known as a Pokémon, which is in training to become one of a group of protector Pokémon called the Swords of Justice. The frightened Keldeo flees its battle with the Dragon-type Pokémon Kyurem, which encases the Swords of Justice in ice and pursues Keldeo. The Pokémon trainers Ash Ketchum, Iris, and Cilan assist Keldeo to return to help its friends.
The film celebrates the 90th anniversary of the Japanese manga publisher Shogakukan, which published many Pokémon related works. It was released on July 14, 2012 in Japan.
Virizion, Terrakion, and Cobalion belong to a group of Pokémon called the Swords of Justice, which travel the world to protect people and Pokémon in need of help. Keldeo is in training to become a member of the Swords of Justice. Its final challenge before it can become part of the group is to battle Kyurem, a powerful Dragon-type Pokémon with the ability to wield the power of Reshiram and Zekrom which lives in an abandoned mine. However, the Swords of Justice do not believe that Kyurem is ready.
Keldeo sneaks out to the mine to battle Kyurem, lying to it that it is a Sword of Justice. Kyurem breaks Keldeo's horn, causing Keldeo to become nervous and afraid. The Swords of Justice arrive at the mine to try and stop the fight. Angered by this, Kyurem freezes the Swords of Justice in ice. Keldeo runs away in panic. Kyurem chases after Keldeo, announcing that their battle is not over.
The Pokémon trainers Ash Ketchum, Iris, and Cilan find an injured Keldeo on top of their train headed for Roshan City. Kyurem arrives with its minions, several Cryogonal, still wanting to continue the fight. However, Kyurem withdraws when the train enters a tunnel. Keldeo is taken to Roshan City's Pokémon Center to be healed. Outside, Ash, Iris, and Cilan agree to help Keldeo and free the Swords of Justice together. Iris commandeers a zeppelin from the city's museum while Cilan uses an abandoned mine cart powered by his Stunfisk to bait Kyurem and the Cryogonal into following them while Ash and Keldeo sneak away to save the Swords of Justice on foot.
Kyurem returns to the mine to continue the battle. Ash heads to the mine with his Pikachu, Pignite, and Boldore to free the Swords of Justice. Infuriated that they are trespassing its home, Kyurem tries to attack them, but Keldeo rescues them, gaining the courage it needs to fight. Kyurem reveals that it already knew that Keldeo had lied about being a Sword of Jusťice but still accepted its challenge and intends to finish the battle. Keldeo transforms into its Resolute Form. The battle causes the mine to start collapsing, breaking the ice the and Swords of Justice were imprisoned in. Kyurem encases Keldeo in ice. Keldeo breaks out of the ice after learning the move Secret Sword, in which a glowing sword emerges from its horn. Kyurem and Keldeo fire blasts at each other but Kyurem's blast accidentally gets sent towards Ash and his friends. Keldeo slices the blast with Secret Sword, saving its friends but injuring it. Keldeo yields to Kyurem, and the battle ends.
The Swords of Justice praise Keldeo for finally learning the true power of the sword, which officially makes it the fourth member of the team. The group retreats from the mine as it collapses. Kyurem freezes the falling mine to prevent any more damage from being caused.
As in the previous Pokémon films and its anime series, the music is composed by Shinji Miyazaki.
The movie's theme song is titled "Memories" (メモリーズ, Memorīzu), which is performed by the Bengali-Japanese-Russian model-turned-singer Rola. The film's director Kunihiko Yuyama thinks the song will work perfectly for the film itself after he first heard it. Rola also voiced a character in the film named Marin. The single itself was released on July 11, 2012. And the English ending for this movie is "It's All Inside of You" written by John Loeffler and David Wolfert (who also wrote "Rival Destines" which is performed by Kathryn Raio and Alex Nackman) and is performed by Jesse Turner.
|Ash Ketchum||Rica Matsumoto||Sarah Natochenny|
|Iris||Aoi Yūki||Eileen Stevens|
|Cilan||Mamoru Miyano||Jason Griffith|
|Narrator||Unshō Ishizuka||Ken Gates|
Jessie, James, and Meowth make several cameo appearances in this feature but without any spoken dialogue.
- Kyurem (キュレム, Kyuremu): Known as the Boundary Pokémon, it is a dragon that was born alongside Reshiram and Zekrom, and is considered to be the strongest of the three dragons. It has the powers of both of the former two dragons, allowing himself to shift into its forms: Black Kyurem (ブラックキュレム, Burakku Kyuremu) and White Kyurem (ホワイトキュレム, Howaito Kyuremu), fully using the abilities of both Reshiram and Zekrom. Its relationship to the Swords of Justice and to Keldeo were somewhat unknown, although it seems viciously determined to finish the fight that Keldeo started with it, and refuses to let Keldeo flee until Keldeo can finish what it started. In the original Japanese release, Kyurem's voice is provided by Katsumi Takahashi. In the English dub, Marc Thompson provides the voice.
- Keldeo (ケルディオ, Kerudio): The Colt Pokémon and also the fourth of the Swords of Justice. Keldeo is very exceptional at using its hidden abilities. And unlike the other swordsmen, Keldeo can assume his other form called Resolute Form. It challenges Kyurem to a battle despite Cobalion's warnings, and when Kyurem proves to be too strong, Keldeo became scared and ended up running away. Keldeo is then followed in hot pursuit by Kyurem, who is determined to finish their fight. In the original Japanese release, Keldeo is voiced by Shoko Nakagawa, while Vic Mignogna voices the character in English.
- Cobalion (コバルオン, Kobaruon): The Iron Will Pokémon and leader of the Swords of Justice. Having a collected personality, it is responsible for the group and for protecting Keldeo from Kyurem. Cobalion's Japanese voice actor is Kōichi Yamadera. Its English voice actor is H.D. Quinn.
- Terrakion (テラキオン, Terakion): The Cavern Pokémon and one of the members of the Swords of Justice. It is very hotheaded but loyal towards Cobalion. Terrakion's Japanese voice actor is Hiroki Yasumoto. Its English voice actor is Henry Carr.
- Virizion (ビリジオン, Birijion): The Grassland Pokémon and also a member of the Swords of Justice. It is the most rational of all the Swords of Justice. Virizion's Japanese voice actor is Takako Honda. Its English voice actor is Emily Williams.
- Malin (マリン, Marin): A young girl who sells Darumaka lunch boxes at Windy Station, along with her partner Vanillite. Malin's voice in the Japanese release is provided by the film's theme song singer Rola in a cameo role. In the English dub, Malin is voiced by Bella Hudson.
- Official website (in Japanese)
- Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice on IMDb
- Pokémon the Movie: Kyurem vs. the Sword of Justice (film) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia