PhoronixWikipedia Open wikipedia design.
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Phoronix logo and screenshot
Type of site
|Created by||Michael Larabel|
|Registration||Required (for the forums)|
|Launched||June 5, 2004|
Phoronix is a technology website that offers insights regarding the development of the Linux kernel, product reviews, interviews, and news regarding free and open-source software by monitoring the Linux kernel mailing list or interviews.
Phoronix was started in June 2004 by Michael Larabel, who currently serves as the owner and editor-in-chief.
Founded on 5 June 2004, Phoronix started as a website with a handful of hardware reviews and guides, moving to articles covering operating systems based on Linux and open source software around the start of 2005, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE and Mozilla (Firefox/Thunderbird). Phoronix heavily focuses on benchmarking hardware running Linux, with a heavy slant towards graphics articles that monitor and compare free and open-source graphics device drivers and Mesa 3D with AMD's and Nvidia's proprietary graphics device drivers. In June 2006 the website added forums in addition to news content. On 20 April 2007, Phoronix redesigned its website, and began Solaris hardware reviews and news in addition to Linux content.
Phoronix Test Suite
On 5 June 2008, the 1.0 release of the Phoronix Test Suite was announced. This software was made available under the GPLv3 and is designed to validate software and hardware on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows NT, and BSD systems. Version 1.0 was made up of 57 test profiles and 23 test suites.
OpenBenchmarking.org is a new cloud based service created to work with the Phoronix Test Suite. It is a collaborative platform that allows users to share their hardware and software benchmarks through an organized online interface.
- "Happy 5th Birthday, Phoronix!". Phoronix. 5 June 2009. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "Intel Celeron D". Phoronix. 13 November 2004. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "Camo Painting Case Guide". Phoronix. 13 July 2004. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "Operating Systems Archives". Phoronix. 25 March 2005. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "Software Archives". Phoronix. 21 February 2005. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "Forums Launch". Phoronix. 15 June 2006. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- "Welcome To The New Phoronix". Phoronix. 20 April 2007. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "Phoronix To Support Solaris OS". Phoronix. 20 April 2007. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- Shankland, Stephen. "New Linux look fuels old debate". News.com. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Shankland, Stephen. "Intel aims for open-source graphics advantage". News.com. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "The State of ATI Drivers on GNU/Linux". Linux. Slashdot. 20 July 2006. Retrieved 5 March 2010.