Patrick VolkerdingWikipedia open wikipedia design.
Patrick Volkerding at Linuxworld 2000 NYC
Patrick John Volkerding
October 20, 1966
|Spouse(s)||Andrea (m. 2001)|
|Children||Briah Cecilia Volkerding(b.2005)|
|Parent(s)||Dr. John Volkerding & Molly Jane Mullen|
Patrick Volkerding (born October 20, 1966) is the founder and maintainer of the Slackware Linux distribution. Volkerding is Slackware's "Benevolent Dictator for Life" (BDFL), and is also known informally as "The Man".
Volkerding is a Church of the SubGenius affiliate/member. The use of the word slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs. About the SubGenius influence on Slackware, Volkerding has stated: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD."
In 2004, Volkerding announced via mailing list post that he was suffering from Actinomycosis, a serious illness requiring multiple rounds of antibiotics and with an uncertain prognosis. This announcement caused a number of tech news outlets to wonder about the future of the Slackware project. As of 2012, both Volkerding and the Slackware project were reported to be in a healthy state again.
For a short while, Chris Lumens and others assisted with his work on Slackware. Due to the lack of a continuing revenue stream following the sale of his publisher, Walnut Creek CDROM, to BSDi (which was ultimately sold to Wind River Systems), these people had to be let go.
For the last several years[when?] Volkerding has managed Slackware with the help of many volunteers and testers.
- Volkerding, Patrick, and Reichard, Kevin, Linux System Commands, IDG Books/M&T Books, 2000, ISBN 0-7645-4669-4
- Volkerding, Patrick, Reichard, Kevin, and Foster-Johnson, Eric, Instalación y configuración de Linux, Temas profesionales. Madrid: Anaya Multimedia, 1999 ISBN 84-415-0816-X
- Volkerding, Patrick, Reichard, Kevin, and Foster-Johnson, Eric, LINUX Configuration and Installation, M&T Books, 1998, ISBN 0-7645-7005-6
- Volkerding, Patrick, and Reichard, Kevin, Linux in Plain English, MIS:Press, 1997, ISBN 1-55828-542-3
- Obituarie:Molly Volkerding(June 03, 1940 - March 14, 2014), Boulger Funeral Home, In 1966 they were blessed with a son, Patrick John...She is survived by her husband, John, her son Patrick (Andrea) Volkerding...
- Donating to Slackware, By volkerdi(Patrick), 20180723, linuxquestions.org
- Slackware Updates, 2002-01-07, DistroWatch.com, ...This is the first update since the middle of December and here is the reason - Patrick Volkerding, the founder and currently the sole maintainer of the Slackware project was too busy getting married over the holiday season...
- http://www.slackware.com/~honeypie/ Welcome to Andrea Volkerding's not-a-home page!], honeypie, slackware.com
- Obituarie:Denise Mullen(November 28, 1914 - November 10, 2017), Boulger Funeral Home, ...Denise is survived by...son-in-law Dr. John Volkerding, Peroia, AZ: grandchildren:...Patrick Volkerding (Andrea), Sebeka, MN...
- DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 130, 12 December 2005, ...Patrick Volkerding...were greeted with a rather unusual entry last weekend. "It's a girl!" declared the title of a new post, the first one in over a month. It turned out...had just had his first child: "I know a lot of you have been wondering what's going on here, and the news is that my wife Andrea delivered our first child, a daughter Briah Cecilia."...
- Obituarie:Violet Volkerding(September 18, 1915 - February 10, 2009) INFORUM, ...Violet is survived by two sons...and John (Molly) of Fargo, four grandchildren,...Patrick (Andrea) Volkerding, Sebeka, MN...
- Patrick Volkerding, 24th of July 2018, ArticleWorld, ...On December 10 2005, Patrick Volkerding announced that he has a daughter named Briah Cecilia...
- The Slackware Linux Project: About This Site
- Faces behind Linux — Part #1, By Artem Nosulchik, April 2, 2009, LinuxScrew: Linux Blog
- Interview with Patrick Volkerding
- Slashdot | Replies from Slackware Founder Patrick Volkerding
- Volkerding, Patrick (18 November 2004). "Last post?". slackware.osuosl.org. Archived from the original on 18 November 2004. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- "Patrick Volkerding battles mystery illness". Slashdot. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- Varghese, Sam (7 May 2012). "Slackware is alive and kicking: Volkerding". www.itwire.com. iTWire. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- "O'Reilly Open Source Awards - OSCON 2014". YouTube. O'Reilly. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Interview with LinuxQuestions.org, 2012
- Linux Link Tech Show interview (audio), 2006
- Slashdot interview with Patrick Volkerding, 2000
- Linux Journal interview
- The Age (Australia) Interview
- Hacker Public Radio Interview, 2011