OpenRCWikipedia open wikipedia design.
This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Roy Marples|
|Initial release||5 April 2007|
0.39.1 / 24 October 2018
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, TrueOS|
|License||2-clause BSD license|
On Unix-like systems, OpenRC is a dependency-based init. Since 0.25 OpenRC includes openrc-init, which can replace /sbin/init, but the default provider for the init program is SysVinit for OpenRC. As well as Linux, OpenRC can also be used on several BSD systems. It was created by a NetBSD developer, who started the Gentoo/FreeBSD project.
OpenRC is the default init system of TrueOS, Gentoo, Alpine Linux, Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre, Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, Artix Linux and other unix-like systems, while some others such as Devuan offer it as an option. That means that the software packages and daemons of those systems/distributions support it, coming with or using the available scripts.
OpenRC provides the following features:
- Portable between Linux, TrueOS, FreeBSD, and NetBSD
- Parallel service startup (optional, in development)
- Dependency based boot-up
- Process segregation through cgroups
- Per-service resource limits (ulimit)
- Separation of code and configuration (init.d / conf.d)
- Easily extensible startup scripts customizable by users
- Ability to include an unlimited variety of commands beyond basic "start, stop, and status"
- Stateful init scripts (is it started already?)
- Complex init scripts to start multiple components (Samba (smbd and nmbd), NFS (nfsd, portmap, etc.))
- Automatic dependency calculation and service ordering
- Proper integration into container/virtualization (Linux-VServer, OpenVZ, etc.)
- Proper modular architecture and separation of optional components (Cron, syslog)
- Expressive and flexible network handling (including VPN, bridges, etc.)
- Support for bare-metal bare-dependency servers
- Verbose debug mode
- "openrc-0.39.1". Retrieved October 24, 2018.
- "openrc", Analysis Summary, Ohloh, retrieved 2012-03-10
- "4. Post Installation Configuration — TrueOS® User Guide". www.trueos.org. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "Devuan ASCII 2.0.0 stable release". Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Parallel startup in OpenRC was disabled by default due to bug 391945 (boot can hang when rc_parallel=yes)
- gentoo-embedded post, 29 Jul 2011
- Using Mdev on Gentoo