Nova Science PublishersWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Founder||Frank H. Columbus|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Hauppauge, New York|
|Key people||Nadya Gotsiridze-Columbus (President); Donna Dennis (Vice-President)|
|Publication types||Academic journals, books, encyclopedias, handbooks|
|Nonfiction topics||Science and Technology, Medicine and Biology, Social Sciences|
|Fiction genres||Academic; STM|
|Imprints||NOVA, NOVA Biomedical, Novinka|
|No. of employees||55 in-house employees|
Nova Science Publishers is an academic publisher of books, encyclopedias, handbooks, e-books and journals, based in Hauppauge, New York. It was founded in 1985 in New York by Frank Columbus, former senior editor of Plenum Publishing, whose wife, Nadya Columbus, took over upon his death in 2010. While the firm publishes works in several fields of academia, most of its publications cover the fields of science, social science, and medicine. As of February 2018, it listed 100 currently published journals. In 2018 NOVA was ranked on the 13th place global main publishers of political sciences during the last 5 years.
Nova Science Publishers is included in the Book Citation Index. In terms of number of books published from 2005 to 2012, Nova ranked 4th. They ranked in the top three in 8 of 14 scientific fields (engineering, clinical medicine, human biology, animal and plant biology, geosciences, social science medicine, health, chemistry, physics, and astronomy), and ranked as the 5th most prolific book publisher from 2009-2013, ranking 3rd in Engineering and Technology and 2nd in Science by numbers of books published. They were also ranked as the 6th most productive publisher, according to a University of Granada study. However, Nova had the lowest citation impact among the five most prolific publishers in both fields.
Controversies and criticism
Nova has been criticized for not always evaluating authors through the academic peer review process and for republishing old public domain book chapters and freely-accessible government reports at high prices. These criticisms prompted librarian Jeffrey Beall to write that in his opinion Nova Science Publishers was in the "bottom-tier" of publishers.
A recent survey of national and international databases of scholarly book publishers (including the Book Citation Index, Scopus, CRIStin, JUFO, VIRTA and SPI) identified Nova as one of a "core of publishers that are indexed in all five" of the information systems surveyed. This "core" contained 46 out of the 3,765 publishers identified.
In a 2011 report of twenty-one international social-science book publishers that determined penetration on international markets and mention of books in international science index systems such as Cambridge Scientific Abstracts, Nova Science Publishers ranked 17th out of 21. In a 2017 ranking study of book publishers, Nova Science Publishers was ranked high on number of books published, but near the bottom for number of citations per book. A 2018 report by the same author now indicates that Nova ranks among the top half among 51 for 1.overall global standing of the company; 2.company as a factor on the market; 3.company impact on the global political and economic debate; 4.successfully distributing best-sellers; 5. impact on the scholarly community; 6.successfully distributing production to more than 50 global Worldcat libraries; 7.output during the last 5 years; 8. outstanding academic quality. But also as of 2018, Nova has been removed from the Norwegian list of approved scientific publishing channels (Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers).
- "Company Overview of Nova Science Publishers, Inc". Business Week. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Vygotsky, L. S. (April 28, 2016). The Collected Works of L. S. Vygotsky: Problems of General Psychology, Including the Volume Thinking and Speech. Springer. ISBN 9781461316558.
- "Nova Science Publishers". brown-cran. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- Journal catalog page. Retrieved January 9, 2016
- "Master Book List". Book Citation Index. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Torres-Salinas, Daniel (2013). "Coverage, field specialization and impact of scientific publishers indexed in the 'Book Citation Index'". Online Information Review. 38 (1): 1–16. doi:10.1108/OIR-10-2012-0169.
- Torres Salinas, Daniel; Robinson-Garcia, Nicolás; Jiménez-Contreras, Evaristo; Fuente-Gutiérrez, Enrique (2015). "The BiPublishers ranking: Main results and methodological problems when constructing rankings of academic publishers". Revista Española de Documentacion Cientifica. 38 (4): e111. doi:10.3989/redc.2015.4.1287b.
- Robinson-Garcia, Nicolás; Jimenez-Contreras, Evaristo; Fuente-Gutierrez, Enrique; Torres-Salinas, Daniel (November 5, 2014). Bibliometric Indicators for Publishers: Data processing, indicators and interpretation.
- Phillips, Lara (September 17, 2013). "A list of Print-on-demand publishers and self-publishing "Vanity presses" for librarians and faculty". University of the South Pacific. Archived from the original on 2013-11-11. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- Bade, David W. (September 24, 2007). "The Content of Journals Published by Nova Science Publishers, Inc". Stanford University Libraries. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- Beall, Jeffrey (May 26, 2015). "Watch Out for Publishers with "Nova" in Their Name". Scholarly Open Access. Archived from the original on November 8, 2016.
- Elea Giménez-Toledo, Jorge Mañana-Rodríguez, Gunnar Sivertsen (2017), "Scholarly book publishing: Its information sources for evaluation in the social sciences and humanities", Research Evaluation, 26 (2): 91–101, doi:10.1093/reseval/rvx007CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Tausch, Arno (2011). "On the Global Impact of Selected Social-Policy Publishers in More Than 100 Countries". Journal of Scholarly Publishing. 42 (4): 476. doi:10.3138/jsp.42.4.476.
- Tausch, Arno (October 15, 2015). "Die Buchpublikationen der Nobelpreis-Ökonomen und die führenden Buchverlage der Disziplin. Eine bibliometrische Analyse" [The Book Publications of the Nobel-Prize Economists and the Leading Book Publishers of the Discipline. A Bibliometric Analysis]. Social Science Research Network (in German). Elsevier. SSRN 2674502. Missing or empty
- Tausch, Arno (2018). "The Market Power of Global Scientific Publishing Companies in the Age of Globalization: an Analysis Based on the OCLC Worldcat". Munich Personal RePEc Archive.
- Norwegian Centre for Research Data, Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers, retrieved August 27, 2018