National mysticismWikipedia open wikipedia design.
National mysticism (German Nationalmystik) is a form of nationalism which raises the nation to the status of numen or divinity. Its best known instance is Germanic mysticism, which gave rise to occultism under the Third Reich. The idea of the nation as a divine entity was presented by Johann Gottlieb Fichte. National mysticism is closely related to Romantic nationalism, but goes beyond the expounding of romantic sentiment, to a mystical veneration of the nation as a transcendent truth. It often intersects with ethnic nationalism by pseudohistorical assertions about the origins of a given ethnicity.
National mysticism is encountered in many nationalisms other than Germanic or Nazi mysticism, and expresses itself in the use of occult, pseudoscientific, or pseudohistorical beliefs to back up nationalistic claims, often involving unrealistic notions of the antiquity of a nation (antiquity frenzy) or any national myth defended as "true" by pseudo-scholarly means. Notable instances of national mysticism include:
- The Sun Language Theory in Pan-Turkism
- Kurdish nationalists often make the claim that they are the descendants of the Medes
- Polish Sarmatism
- Greek Epsilonism and Proto-Greeks theory (see also and List of Ancient Greek tribes)
- Some branches of revisionist history theories of Bulgarians and Bulgaria (i.e. 'Thracomania') and Macedonian nationalist history theories
- Narratives on the origin of the Albanians in Albanian nationalism
- The Croat Illyrian movement
- Romanian Protochronism
- Philippine Destiny
- The Battle of Kosovo as the national myth in Serbian nationalism
- American Manifest Destiny
- The Indigenous Aryans theory in Hindu nationalism
- Currents of Tamil nationalism (as in Devaneya Pavanar)
- Claims of interplanetary travel, possible existence of in-vitro fertilization and genetic engineering by Ancient Indians (102nd Indian Science Congress) 
- Some currents of Armenian nationalism (see Armenia, Subartu and Sumer)
- Currents of Russian nationalism
- Kabbalistic currents in religious Zionism
- Swedish Gothicism
- Hungarian Holy Crown Doctrine
- Martin van Bruinessen. "The Ethnic Identity of the Kurds in Turkey" (PDF).
- Described as national mysticism in Christian Kind, Der Wille zur Macht -Wie sich Milosevic zum Herrscher über Serbien erhob NZZ Folio 06/99
- Vincent, Pheroze L. (5 January 2015). "'Mere study of ancient texts not science'" – via www.thehindu.com.
- e.g. Alexander Sokurow, www.faz.net; see also Arkaim.
- Moshe Sharon, Studies in Modern Religions and Religious Movements and the Babi-Baha'i (2004), p. 77.