National Council to Prevent DiscriminationWikipedia open wikipedia design.
|Consejo Nacional para Prevenir La Discriminación (CONAPRED)|
CONAPRED Headquarters in 2012
|Formed||29 April 2003|
|Headquarters||Dante No 14 Colonia Anzures, Miguel Hidalgo, 11590 Mexico City, Mexico|
|Parent agency||Secretariat of the Interior|
The National Council to Prevent Discrimination (Spanish: Consejo Nacional para Prevenir La Discriminación; CONAPRED) is a Mexican government agency created by the Federal Law to Prevent and Eliminate Discrimination in 2003 to promote policies and measures to contribute to the cultural and social development and progress in social inclusion and guarantee the right to equality.
The National Council to Prevent Discrimination is the independent governing body within the Secretariat of the Interior tasked with promoting policies and measures to contribute to the cultural and social development and progress in social inclusion and guarantee the right to equality, which is the first of the fundamental rights in the Constitution of Mexico.
The council is responsible for receiving and resolving complaints of alleged discriminatory acts committed by private individuals or federal authorities in the exercise of their functions. The council also takes actions to protect all citizens from "exclusion based on ethnic or national origin, sex, age, disability, social or economic status, health, pregnancy, language, religion, opinions, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other to prevent or defeat the recognition or exercise of rights and real equality of opportunity for people".
The National Council to Prevent Discrimination created by the Federal Law to Prevent and Eliminate Discrimination, which was adopted on 29 April 2003, and published in the Official Journal of the Federation (DOF) on 11 June of that year. The latest amendment to the law was published in the Journal on 27 November 2007.
Together with the Secretariat of Social Development (SEDESOL), the council conducted a National Survey on Discrimination in 2005 to systematically collect information on the state of intolerance in Mexico. It was the first survey of its kind in the country.
Board of Governors
|Mexican Institute of Youth||Permanent guest|
|National Center for the Prevention and Control of HIV / AIDS||Permanent guest|
|National Commission for the Development of Indigenous Peoples||Permanent guest|
|National Council for Development and Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities||Permanent guest|
|National Institute of Older Persons||Permanent guest|
|National Migration Institute||Permanent guest|
|National System for Integral Family Development||Permanent guest|
|National Women's Institute||Permanent member|
|Secretariat of Finance and Public Credit||Permanent member|
|Secretariat of Health||Permanent member|
|Secretariat of Labor and Social Welfare||Permanent member|
|Secretariat of Public Education||Permanent member|
|Secretariat of Social Development||Permanent member|
|Secretariat of the Interior||Permanent member|
Presidents of the National Council to Prevent Discrimination, who also chair the Board of Governors, is appointed by the head of the Mexican Federal Government. Presidents of the council have included:
- Gilberto Rincón Gallardo
- July 11, 2003 - August 30, 2008
- Perla Patricia Bustamante Corona
- 11 December 2008 - 30 November 2009
- Ricardo Antonio Bucio Mujica
- December 1, 2009 - December 2015
- "¿ Quiénes Somos ?" [About Us] (in Spanish). National Council to Prevent Discrimination. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Federal Law to Prevent and Eliminate Discrimination" (PDF). conapred.org.mx (in Spanish). 27 November 2007. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Encuesta Nacional sobre la Discriminación en México 2005" [National Survey on Discrimination in Mexico 2005]. National Council to Prevent Discrimination (in Spanish). Retrieved 2015-03-28.
- "Junta de Gobierno" [Board of Governors] (in Spanish). National Council to Prevent Discrimination. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Conformación actual de la Junta de Gobierno" [Current composition of the Board of Governors] (in Spanish). National Council to Prevent Discrimination. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Presidente del Consejo Nacional para Prevenir la Discriminación" [President of the National Council to Prevent Discrimination] (in Spanish). National Council to Prevent Discrimination. Retrieved 2015-03-28.