M (virtual assistant)Wikipedia open wikipedia design.
M was a virtual assistant by Facebook, first announced in August 2015, that can automatically complete tasks for users, such as purchase items, arrange gift deliveries, reserve restaurant tables, and arrange travel. As of April 2017, it is available to about 10,000 users. It works inside the Facebook Messenger instant messaging service.
When a user makes a request for M, it uses algorithms to determine what the user wants. If M doesn't understand, a human takes over the conversation, unbeknownst to the user. This allows M to learn.
Rollout of suggestions
In April 2017, Facebook enabled suggestions, powered by M, for users in the United States. M scans chats for keywords and then suggests relevant actions. For example, a user writing "You owe me $20" to a friend triggers M to enable the user's friend to pay the user via Facebook's payment platform.
- Simonite, Tom (2017-04-14). "Intelligent Machines Facebook's Perfect, Impossible Chatbot". Massachusetts Institute of Technology Technology Review.
- IANS. "Facebook developing 'perfect' chatbot". Indian Express.
- Olanoff, Drew; Constine, Josh (August 26, 2015). "Facebook Is Adding A Personal Assistant Called "M" To Your Messenger App". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Kelly, Heather (August 26, 2015). "Facebook made its own Siri: Meet M". CNN. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Hempel, Jessi (August 26, 2015). "Facebook Launches M, Its Bold Answer to Siri and Cortana". Wired. Condé Nast. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Kozlowska, Hanna (8 January 2018). "Facebook is shuttering M, its personal assistant aided by AI and humans". Quartz. Atlantic Media. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- Newton, Casey (8 January 2018). "Facebook is shutting down M, its personal assistant service that combined humans and AI". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- Statt, Nick (April 6, 2017). "Facebook's AI assistant will now offer suggestions inside Messenger". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Lee, Nicole (April 6, 2017). "Facebook's AI assistant is ready to hang out in Messenger". Engadget. AOL. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Constine, Josh (April 6, 2017). "Facebook Messenger's AI 'M' suggests features to use based on your convos". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved April 7, 2017.