From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Type of site
|Launched||February 22, 2016|
Microsoft Academic is a free public web search engine for academic publications and literature, developed by Microsoft Research. Re-launched in 2016, the tool features an entirely new data structure and search engine using semantic search technologies. It currently indexes over 220 million publications, 88 million of which are journal articles.
The Academic Knowledge API offers information retrieval from the underlying database using REST endpoints for advanced research purposes. The search engine provides not only search results and access to sources but also citation information that include the number of sources, g-index, and h-index. Aside from academic publications, it is also used to find websites that contain state and local records.
The service replaces the earlier Microsoft research project, Microsoft Academic Search, which ended development in 2012. The platform was developed in 2009 of the Microsoft Research branch in Asia and the project was headed by Zaiqing Nie.
Preliminary reviews by bibliometricians suggest the new Microsoft Academic Search is a competitor to Google Scholar, Web of Science, and Scopus for academic research purposes as well as citation analysis.
- Microsoft Academic
- Microsoft. "Academic Knowledge API". Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Thomas, C. George (2021). Research Methodology and Scientific Writing, Second Edition. Cham: Springer Nature. p. 241. ISBN 978-3-030-64864-0.
- Parsons, Stephen P. (2019). Interviewing and Investigating: Essentials Skills for the Legal Professional. Frederick, MD: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business. p. 505. ISBN 978-1-5438-0107-1.
- Van Noorden, Richard (20 May 2014). "The decline and fall of Microsoft Academic Search". blogs.nature.com. Nature. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- Ortega, Jose Luis (2014). Academic Search Engines: A Quantitative Outlook. Oxford: Elsevier. p. 71. ISBN 978-1-84334-791-0.
- Harzing, Anne-Wil. "Microsoft Academic (Search): a Phoenix arisen from the ashes?" (PDF). Scientometrics. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Hug, Sven E.; Braendle, Martin P. (2017). "The coverage of Microsoft Academic: Analyzing the publication output of a university". Scientometrics. 113 (3): 1551–1571. arXiv:1703.05539. Bibcode:2017arXiv170305539H. doi:10.1007/s11192-017-2535-3. S2CID 2458635.
- Harzing, Anne-Wil; Alakangas, Satu. "Microsoft Academic: is the Phoenix getting wings ?" (PDF). Scientometrics. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- Hug, Sven E.; Ochsner, Michael; Braendle, Martin P. (2017). "Citation analysis with Microsoft Academic". Scientometrics. 111: 371–378. arXiv:1609.05354. doi:10.1007/s11192-017-2247-8. S2CID 14179411.
- Haunschild, Robin; Hug, Sven E.; Braendle, Martin P.; Bornmann, Lutz (2017). "The number of linked references of publications in Microsoft Academic in comparison with the Web of Science". Scientometrics. 114: 367–370. arXiv:1710.04031. Bibcode:2017arXiv171004031H. doi:10.1007/s11192-017-2567-8. S2CID 21342104.
|Wikidata has the property:|