List of wars involving Turkey
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019)
This is a list of wars involving the Republic of Turkey and includes conflicts such as coups, insurgencies, offensives, border and international disputes since the Turkish War of Independence in 1919.
|War of Independence |
|Ankara Government|| Greece |
|Sheikh Said Rebellion |
|Turkey||Sunni Zaza tribes||Victory |
|Ararat Rebellion |
|Turkey||Republic of Ararat||Victory |
|Dersim Rebellion |
|Turkey||Dersim tribes||Victory |
|Korean War |
| South Korea || North Korea |
|Cyprus crisis of 1963–64 |
(Intervention in Battle of Tillyria)
| Turkey |
|Cyprus||Ceasefire (Battle of Tylliria) |
|Turkish invasion of Cyprus |
| Turkey |
| Cyprus |
|Political violence in Turkey |
|Grey Wolves|| TKP/ML |
|1980 Turkish coup d'état |
|Kurdish-Turkish Conflict |
|Turkey|| KCK |
|Operation Restore Hope |
|United Somali Congress||Victory |
|Bosnian War |
(Participant in NATO Operation Deliberate Force)
|Iraqi Kurdish Civil War |
| Turkey |
| PUK |
|Kosovo War |
(Participant in NATO Operation Allied Force)
| UÇK ||FR Yugoslavia||Stalemate|
|War in Afghanistan |
| Afghanistan ||Taliban||Ongoing |
|Libyan Civil War |
(Assisted NATO military intervention)
| NTC |
|American-led intervention in Iraq |
| Iraq |
|Operation Euphrates Shield |
| Turkey |
| ISIS |
|Operation Olive Branch |
| Turkey |
| Northern Syria |
|Operation Peace Spring |
| Turkey |
| Northern Syria |
|Turkish military operation in Idlib Governorate |
(incl. Operation Spring Shield & 2020 Balyun airstrikes)
| Turkey ||Ongoing||67 - 81[note 1]|
|Turkish military intervention in the Second Libyan Civil War |
| Turkey |
Government of National Accord
Syrian Interim Government
Coups and coup attempts in Turkey
There have been 2 successful coups in Turkey:
- 1960 coup d'état
- 1962 coup d'état attempt
- 1963 coup d'état attempt
- 1969 coup d'état attempt
- 1971 military memorandum
- 1980 coup d'état
- 1997 military memorandum
- 2007 military memorandum
- 2016 coup d'état attempt
Insurgency in Turkey
There are several insurgency in Turkey, including the following:
- Kurdish insurgency in Turkey - 1st and 2nd Phase and Kurdish insurgency in Turkey - 3rd Phase
- Maoist insurgency in Turkey
- Marxist–Leninist DHKP/C insurgency in Turkey
- Terrorism in Turkey
Wars and battles during the War of Independence
- Turkish–Armenian War
- Franco-Turkish War
- Greco-Turkish War (1919–1922)
- Greek landing at Smyrna
- Urla Clashes
- Malgaç Raid
- Battle of Bergama
- Raid on Erbeyli
- Raid on Erikli
- Battle of Tellidede
- Battle of Aydın
- Greek Summer Offensive (1920)
- Battle of the Gediz
- First Battle of İnönü
- Second Battle of İnönü
- Battle of Kütahya–Eskişehir
- Battle of Sakarya
- Great Offensive
- Revolt of Ahmet Anzavur 1919-1920
- Konya rebellion 1920
- Koçgiri Rebellion 1921
- Beytussebab rebellion 1923
- Sheikh Said rebellion 1925
- Ararat rebellion 1927-1930
- Menemen Uprising 1930
- Dersim Rebellion 1937-1938
Other conflicts and crises involving Turkey
- Chanak Crisis 1922
- Turkey during World War II 1945
- Turkish Straits crisis 1946-1947
- Cuban Missile Crisis 1962
- Greece-Turkey Imia/Kardak conflict, 1995
- 2017 Iraqi–Kurdish conflict
- Turkish military intervention in the Second Libyan Civil War
- Aegean dispute
- 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh war
Turkish involvement in the Syrian Civil War
- Turkish involvement in the Syrian Civil War 2012-present
- Syrian government-Turkish border clashes 2012-2014
- Operation Shah Euphrates
- Operation Euphrates Shield
- Turkish military operation in Idlib Governorate
- Operation Olive Branch
- Operation Peace Spring
- Military history of Turkey
- List of wars involving the Ottoman Empire
- List of battles involving the Ottoman Empire
- Military history of the Ottoman Empire
- Chester Neal Tate, Governments of the world: a global guide to citizens' rights and responsibilities, Macmillan Reference USA/Thomson Gale, 2006, p. 205.
- Including 163 missing
- James, A. (28 November 2001). Keeping the Peace in the Cyprus Crisis of 1963–64. Springer. pp. 147–149. ISBN 9781403900890 – via Google Books.
- O'Malley, Brendan; Craig, Ian (25 June 2001). The Cyprus Conspiracy: America, Espionage and the Turkish Invasion. Bloomsbury Publishing. pp. 115–121. ISBN 9780857711922 – via Google Books.
- Dodd, Clement (21 April 2010). The History and Politics of the Cyprus Conflict. Springer. p. 69. ISBN 9780230275287 – via Google Books.
- "Cengiz Topel (1934–1964)" (in Turkish). Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı Okulweb. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Haydar Çakmak: Türk dış politikası, 1919–2008, Platin, 2008, ISBN 9944137251, page 688 (in Turkish); excerpt from reference: 415 ground, 65 navy, 5 air, 13 gendarmerie (= 498 killed)
- American University (Washington, D.C.). Foreign Area Studies; Eugene K. Keefe (1980). Cyprus, a country study. Foreign Area Studies, American University : for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
Authoritative figures for casualties during the two- phased military operation were not published; available estimates listed Greek Cypriot losses at 6,000 dead and Turkish losses at 1,500 dead and 2,000 wounded...
- Gil, Ata. "La Turquie à marche forcée," Le Monde diplomatique, February 1981.
- Ustel, Aziz (2008-07-14). "Savcı, Ergenekon'u Kenan Evren'e sormalı asıl!". Star Gazete (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-10-21.
Ve 13 Eylül 1980’de Türkiye’yi on yıla yakın bir süredir kasıp kavuran terör ve adam öldürmeler bıçakla kesilir gibi kesildi.
- "Operation Restore Hope". Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- Cimbala, Stephen J.; Forster, Peter (21 October 2005). The US, NATO and Military Burden-Sharing. Routledge. p. 135. ISBN 9781134251971 – via Google Books.
- "Operation Deliberate Force". www.globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- Olsen, John Andreas (15 July 2014). European Air Power: Challenges and Opportunities. Potomac Books, Inc. ISBN 9781612346816 – via Google Books.
- "Afghanistan Fatalities". Retrieved 26 September 2020.
- "Parliament OKs Turkey's Involvement in Libya". The Oakland Press. Ankara. Associated Press. 24 March 2011. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "Ten German dead in Istanbul terror attack". The Local. 13 January 2016. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Suicide bombing hits Istanbul shopping area popular with tourists". The Independent. 19 March 2016. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- hermesauto (2 July 2016). "Istanbul airport attack toll rises to 45 as child dies". Straits Times. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Death toll rises to 57 in ISIL Gaziantep attack". Hurriyet Daily News. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- ""Death toll from bomb blasts at HDP rally rises to 4"". Archived from the original on July 23, 2015.
- "Suruç'ta ölenlerin sayısı 32'ye yükseldi". 21 July 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Does Turkey have to learn to live with terror? - SERKAN DEMİRTAŞ". Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- Weise, Zia; Graham, Chris; Squires, Nick (January 9, 2017). "Istanbul nightclub attack: Search continues for unidentified terrorist gunman who killed 39 at New Year's Eve party" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Turkey neutralizes over 4,500 terrorists in Afrin: Army". Anadolu Agency. 6 July 2018.
- Turkish soldier killed in clashes with Kurdish militia in Syria's Afrin
"1 Turkish soldier killed during anti-terror op in northern Syria". Daily Sabah. 18 February 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
One Turkish soldier killed in Syria, military retaliates: ministry
One soldier killed, another wounded in Syria
Turkish soldier killed in clashes with Kurdish militants in Syria: ministry
Two Turkish soldiers killed in Kurdish militant attack in Syria: ministry
- "Turkish civilian worker killed, three soldiers wounded in Syria's Afrin". Hürriyet Daily News. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "1,230 terrorists neutralized in N.Syria op: President". aa.com.tr.
- 1 killed (6 Feb. 2018), 1 killed (6 April 2019), 1 killed (28 June 2019), 58 killed (3 Feb.-5 March 2020; per Turkish President), 72 killed (3 Feb.-5 March 2020; per SOHR), 3 killed (18-19 March 2020), 1 killed (27 May 2020), 1 killed (5 June 2020), 1 killed (12 June 2020), total of 67–81 soldiers killed
- "YPG terrorists attack Turkish military convoy in Idlib with car bomb, kill 1 civilian, injure 2 others". DailySabah.
- Syria war: Turkey will not let Syrian army advance in Idlib, says Erdogan
UN: Northwest Syria fighting displaces over 500,000 in 2 months
Turkey to keep military observation posts in Idlib, Syria
- "Erdogan says two Turkish troops killed in Libya conflict". Reuters.
- "Libya şehidi Bilal Yılmaz için tören düzenlendi" (in Turkish). 26 August 2020.