List of sports rivalries in the United Kingdom
From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
This is a list of the main sporting local derbies and other sports rivalries in the UK.
- Bristol–South Wales rivalry: Bristol Aztecs vs. South Wales Warriors
- Cheshire derby: any match between Chester Romans, Crewe Railroaders and Halton Spartans
- East Anglian derby: Ipswich Cardinals vs. Norwich Devils
- Essex Derby: Essex Spartans vs. East Essex Sabres.
- Farnham–Kent rivalry: Farnham Knights vs. Kent Exiles
- Humber–Lincolnshire rivalry: Humber Warhawks vs. Lincolnshire Bombers.
- Kent–London rivalry: Kent Exiles vs. London Olympians.
- Knottingley–Leeds rivalry: Knottingley Raiders vs. Leeds Bobcats
- Leeds derby: Leeds Bobcats vs. Yorkshire Rams.
- Leicester–Nottingham rivalry: Leicester Falcons vs. Nottingham Caesars
- London derby: London Blitz vs. London Warriors, can also refer to games for either against the London Olympians.
- Manchester–Merseyside rivalry: Manchester Titans vs. Merseyside Nighthawks
- North East derby: Gateshead Senators vs. Northumberland Vikings
- South Coast derby: Portsmouth Dreadnoughts vs Solent Thrashers
- Swindon–Oxford rivalry: Swindon Storm vs. Oxford Saints
- West Midlands derby: any match between Birmingham Bulls, Sandwell Steelers and Tamworth Phoenix
- Yorkshire derby: any match between Doncaster Mustangs, Sheffield Giants and Yorkshire Rams
- Leicester Riders vs. Newcastle Eagles
- Glasgow Rocks vs. Newcastle Eagles
- North-East derby: Durham Wildcats vs. Newcastle Eagles
- Yorkshire Derby: Leeds Force vs Sheffield Sharks
- London derby: Middlesex CCC vs. Surrey CCC
- War of the Roses: Lancashire CCC vs. Yorkshire CCC
- West Midlands derby: Warwickshire CCC vs. Worcestershire CCC
- Battle of the Bridge: Essex CCC vs. Kent CCC
- South Coast: Hampshire CCC vs. Sussex CCC
- Basingstoke Bison vs. Guildford Flames
- Bracknell Bees vs. Slough Jets
- Milton Keynes Lightning vs. Peterborough Phantoms
- Nottingham Panthers vs. Sheffield Steelers
- Tyne-Tees derby: Billingham Stars vs. Whitley Bay Warriors
- Essex derby: London Raiders vs. Chelmsford Chieftains
- Big Two derby: Bec KC vs. Trojans KC
- Manchester derby: Manchester Hawks vs. Manchester Warriors
- Milton Keynes derby: MK Bucks vs. MK Lakers
- The Battle of the Borough Derby: Leigh Centurions vs Wigan Warriors
- The Calder Derby: Castleford Tigers vs Wakefield Trinity
- The Cheshire Derby: Widnes Vikings vs. Warrington Wolves
- The Cumbrian Derby: Whitehaven vs. Workington Town
- The East Lancashire Derby: Oldham Roughyeds vs. Rochdale Hornets
- The Good Friday Derby: St. Helens v Wigan Warriors
- The Heavy Woollen Derby: Batley Bulldogs vs. Dewsbury Rams
- The Hull Derby: Hull F.C. vs. Hull Kingston Rovers
- The Leeds Derby: Leeds Rhinos vs. Hunslet
- The London Derby: London Broncos vs. London Skolars
- The Roses Derby: Oldham Roughyeds or Rochdale Hornets vs. Huddersfield Giants or Halifax
- The Salford Derby: Salford Red Devils vs. Swinton Lions
- The South Yorkshire: Sheffield Eagles vs. Doncaster
- The West Yorkshire Derby: Bradford Bulls vs Leeds Rhinos (The term is also used to describe a four way rivalry with the addition of Huddersfield Giants and Halifax)
- The London Derby: Harlequin F.C. vs. Saracens F.C.
- The East Midlands Derby: Leicester Tigers vs. Northampton Saints
- Bath-Bristol derby: Bristol Rugby vs. Bath Rugby
- West Country derby: Gloucester Rugby vs. Bath Rugby
- The New West Country derby: Bristol Rugby vs. Exeter Chiefs
- Milton Keynes derby: Bletchley RUFC vs. Milton Keynes RUFC vs. Olney RFC
- Former West London/Hampstead FC Split Derby: London Wasps RFC vs. Harlequin F.C.
- M69 Derby: Wasps RFC vs. Leicester Tigers
- Former Thames Valley Derby: London Wasps RFC vs. London Irish RFC
- Exiles Derby: London Irish RFC vs. London Welsh RFC vs. London Scottish RFC
- South Hampshire derby: Havant RFC vs. Gosport and Fareham R.F.C.
- Hertfordshire derby: Old Haberdashers RFC vs. Tabard RFC
- Luton-Dunstable derbies: Luton RFC vs. Dunstablians RFC vs. Stockwood Park RFC
- North Devon derby: Barnstaple RFC vs. Bideford RFC
- Armagh–Tyrone rivalry: Armagh v Tyrone
- Sperrin derby: Derry v Tyrone
- Armagh-Down rivalry: Armagh v Down
- East Kilbride–Edinburgh rivalry: East Kilbride Pirates vs. Edinburgh Wolves
- Glasgow derby: East Kilbride Pirates vs. Glasgow Tigers
- Scottish derby:
- Dundee-Kirkcaldy derby: Fife Flyers vs. Dundee Stars
- Forth derby: Fife Flyers vs. Edinburgh Capitals
- Judgement Day rivalries consist of any match between Ospreys, Dragons, Scarlets, and Cardiff Blues. Specific rivalries with these four include:
- "London Blitz score huge upset in Premier League; knock off London Warriors". 18 May 2017.
- "Newcastle Eagles v Leicester Riders - the biggest rivals in British basketball". Leicester Mercury. 5 February 2015. Archived from the original on 2 July 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Dodd, Thomas (30 October 2015). "Newcastle Eagles vs Glasgow Rocks is a 'derby', says player coach Fab Flournoy". Chronicle Live. Archived from the original on 6 March 2016. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- 05/12/14 11:26pm. "BBL Championship: Newcastle Eagles beat Durham Wildcats in a North-East derby to remain top | Basketball News". Sky Sports. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Eagles beat Wildcats in North-East BBL derby". The Northern Echo.
- "Leeds Force and Sheffield Sharks gear up for first derby of the season". www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk.
- "Lord's sells out for London derby". Lord's.
- Cardus, Neville. "Beside the Roses the Ashes paled into insignificance". ESPN. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Warwickshire beat Worcestershire in FLt20 derby at New Road - BBC Sport". Bbc.co.uk. 22 June 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Basingstoke Bison prepare for derby double trouble (From Basingstoke Gazette)". Basingstokegazette.co.uk. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Rockman quits Bees for Slough – Ice hockey – Sport – getwokingham – The Wokingham Times". getwokingham. 19 May 2009. Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- Rudd, Lewis (3 February 2014). "Bracknell Bees in seventh heaven following derby-day victory over Slough Jets". Get Reading. Archived from the original on 3 April 2016. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Bracknell Bees boss calls for fighting spirit ahead of derby weekend (From Bracknell News)". Bracknellnews.co.uk. 21 November 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Say it with flowers: Floral face-off for local ice hockey rivals | Anglia - ITV News". Itv.com. 22 November 2014. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Bob Westerdale (6 October 2014). "Derby win joy for Sheffield Steelers". The Star. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "British Ice Hockey : Panthers take derby bragging rights". 23 September 2015. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015.
- "Steelers will want revenge, says Panthers' Jordan Fox - BBC Sport". Bbc.co.uk. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Stars to 'Air the Bear' on Derby Day – British Ice Hockey". 4 December 2015. Archived from the original on 4 December 2015.
- "Whitley Warriors lose derby contest against Billingham Stars". www.newsguardian.co.uk.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 June 2016. Retrieved 10 July 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 August 2016. Retrieved 10 July 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Raiders take derby spoils". Archived from the original on 15 September 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Chronicle, Essex (12 December 2014). "Chelmsford Chieftains hand out a thumping to old rivals Raiders". Essex Chronicle. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "SPEEDWAY: Rebels taught a lesson by fast-starting Robins". Burnham and Highbridge Weekly News.
- "Castleford ready for big derby test". www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk.
- "Rugby League - Warrington Wolves see off Widnes Vikings in Cheshire derby". Sky Sports. 28 December 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- "Cheshire derby as Widnes face Wire while Wigan host Hull". 18 July 2014.
- "Wigan v St Helens: Scott Taylor excited for first derby". BBC Sport. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams: Heavy Woollen derby is cracker of a game – Kear". Yorkshire Evening Post. Leeds. 6 April 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Rugby League - Hull secure bragging rights in derby". Yahoo! Eurosport UK & Ireland. 11 August 2013. Archived from the original on 20 June 2015. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Roberts, Chris (14 September 2016). "Huddersfield Giants will face a fully-charged Leeds Rhinos - Brett Ferres".
- Keating, Ned. "Saracens take derby to London Stadium".
- Hewett, Chris (25 May 2013). "Leicester Tigers v Northampton Saints: Leicester out to prove they are still the local authority in derby final". The Independent. London. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Abbott, Harry (15 August 2013). "Bath Rugby's Rob Webber anticipating 'tasty' Bristol derby date". Bath Chronicle. Bath. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- Janssen, Eric (24 June 2009). "Guinness Premiership opens with three derby matches". The Telegraph. London. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Rob Baxter: Exeter Chiefs boss eyes growing Bristol Bears rivalry". BBC.co.uk. 21 April 2021. Retrieved 21 April 2021.
- "Rugby union: Bletchley win derby game over Milton Keynes to gain early-season bragging rights". OneMK. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Bletchley face City in derby clashes - Milton Keynes Citizen". Miltonkeynes.co.uk. 5 March 2009. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Olney head and shoulders above rivals Bletchley - Milton Keynes Citizen". Miltonkeynes.co.uk. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "European Rugby Champions Cup: Wasps 16-23 Harlequins". 26 October 2014 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Premiership: Harlequins 26-23 Wasps". 20 September 2014 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "The M69 Derby - Wasps v Tigers". www.jameshaskell.com.
- "Aviva Premiership: Tomas O'Leary sent off as London Irish beat Wasps".
- Staff, Sport. "Shane Geraghty steals the show to rout London Welsh in exiles' derby".
- "Scotland flanker Roddy Grant proving a big hit for Exiles - The Rugby Paper". www.therugbypaper.co.uk.
- "Havant forwards lay down platform for derby win against Gosport". www.portsmouth.co.uk.
- "Knight's delight as Havant put hammer down in derby demolition". www.portsmouth.co.uk.
- Martin Breheny (8 June 2012). "Tyrone v Armagh: One of the GAA's iconic rivalries is losing its icons". Belfasttelegraph.co.uk. Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- "A rare example of original thinking". 10 March 2011.
- "Old Sperrin rivalry not in the same league as club beefs". The Irish News.
- "Blaze win the derby against Kings to be named Scottish Cup champions". Basketball Scotland. Archived from the original on 7 April 2016. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Elite Ice Hockey League: Braehead Clan edge the derbies against Fife Flyers". STV Sport.
- "Other Sports News - Sporting Life". www.sportinglife.com.
- "Dundee left seeing Stars".
- "Fife Flyers go to wire for key derby win". www.fifetoday.co.uk.
- "Dundee Stars suffer as Fife Flyers record derby double - The Courier". 29 December 2014.
- "The Pick Of The Pucks: Flyers hammer Capitals to take Forth derby honours". The National.
- "Derby fever hits Capitals as Fife Flyers clash looms". www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com.
- "Speedway celebrates 90 years in Scotland with Glasgow v Edinburgh clash". 22 March 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Home (Sky Sports)". SkySports.
- "Edinburgh Monarchs v Glasgow Tigers. Derby preview!".
- "Thrills and spills aplenty but Monarchs lose derby to Glasgow".
- "Derby win over Monarchs puts Glasgow Tigers back on title track".
- "Edinburgh v Glasgow: Townsend can coach Scotland - Solomons". BBC Sport. 24 December 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
These games are massive," said Solomons. "For me, this is one of the big derbies of world rugby.
- "Camanachd Cup: Kingussie keen to set up Newtonmore final". 10 August 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Shinty: Kingussie claim shock derby win over Newtonmore". 24 March 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.